Games that you mentally declare non-canon.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
somerandomguy76 said:
chadachada123 said:
WaywardHaymaker said:
gigastrike said:
Dansen said:

The ONLY thing that Halo Reach arguably broke canon wise was the time it took reach to fall, and even THAT can be explained by the crystal in First Strike, which, if you recalled, created an in-universe chronology warp of about 3 weeks, which, get this, is the same amount of time that Halo Reach says it took for the planet to fall.

Also, I won't get into detail about the gameplay, as that's off topic, but reach was much more balanced weapon wise than Halo 3.

bigfatcarp93 said:
Actually, Reach never technically contradicts the books. I haven't read any comics, so I can't say about them, but most of what happens in Reach occurs during an empty spot in the Fall of Reach, without many communications leaving the planet.
Correct. For example, the fact that the PoA was on the surface is explained by the fact that there is a frame in time when john goes in cyro before the slipspace jump that the ship had time to (and is stated as doing, in the newer materials, if I recall) make an emergency landing.

As tFoR was functionally first person, that chunk of time was not covered.

bigfatcarp93 said:
Halo Wars. I mean, it was a decent RTS, and all of the major contradictions to Halo lore have been explained by now in some way or other... but still, it just makes one's head hurt to think about them.
How so? It never broke canon to begin with, and was nearly entirely self contained plot wise.

Legion said:
Yes it does.

First there is the fact that the Chief was not in Cryo-sleep at the beginning of the invasion, he was in orbit the entire time while the rest of the squad was on the ground. Him and two others were fighting Elites in orbit above the planet as the rest of the squad fought down below, he gets put into Cryo-sleep when the Pillar of Autumn leaves the battle. Cortana has been with the Chief and on-board the ship since before the battle.

In the game the Pillar of Autumn is on the ground right up until the very end of the fight, it leaves just before the world is glassed and the Chief is in Cryo-sleep already as it leaves. Cortana is delivered to the POA by Noble Six.

You are looking into it wrong.

Yes, he WAS in orbit the entire time, and yes, the PoA was also in orbit. Once he goes in cyro, the ship makes an emergency landing, picks up HALF of cortana (explained in halesly's journal), which contains Halo's location.

Legion said:
Then there is the fact that all Spartan II's are accounted for and under the Chief's command. George is apparently a Spartan II, and yet is in a squad made up of Spartan III's. Halsey sees these Spartans and does not find anything odd about it....snip

But she does. If anybody knows ANYTHING about halo canon, it's that ONI pulls a lot of strings. It'd be entirely normal for them to forge goerge's death and place him with the SIIIs. It was clear in the cutsecne that Halesly was pissed as hell and was trying to hide it. Furthermore, it directly states in her journal that the encounter with "Spartans other than mine" causes her to poke around in some files, including Ackersons, which sets off GoO

Mariakko said:
Halo 3 (and guessing the stuff after it wasn't that good either).
Why do you say that about Halo 3? There's nothing that could even be confused for breaking canon in it.

SanAndreasSmoke said:
Brogan Cordova said:
I'd consider Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword non-canon but if you think about it, Zelda doesn't exactly have a canon. Actually, if you consider every Zelda game Wind Waker and onward non-canon, there's actually a competent, easy-to-follow timeline.
Believe it or not Nintendo released the official Zelda timeline a few months back. It's too complicated for me to remember, but you should Google it sometime.

Anyhow, I shall never consider sports games to be canon because the teams I choose to play as practically never win their respective championships in reality. (Slight sarcasm)
Ironically, said timeline goes against explicit statements nintendo has made in the past and common sense.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Jabberwock xeno said:
The issue is that Reach is one huge contrivance. Sure, you can argue away every little and large plothole that appear to exist, but it all seem so incredibly unrealistic when the other media is brought into it. It's the main issue with Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City in terms of story. A bunch of background bullshit so unlike the main story in theme and filled with, well, contrivance.

When your game requires you to say to yourself, "well maybe this is what happened..." to explain how every single scene transition fits with the canon, it's far easier to just declare the game to be non-canon than to try and reconcile every single problem.

Not to mention, introducing Spartan III's into the fall of Reach was an asinine decision, since there is a LOT that they could have done with the Spartan II's that were ALREADY ON THE DAMN PLANET and had massive amounts of unaccounted-for time to fill in.

Edit: But here's a nice list of a few problems that I personally don't have any answers for: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=65766578

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
White_Lama said:
Nomanslander said:
Gincairn said:
Well considering I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas first, I going to say 1 and 2 are non-canon!
(There's a twist that nobody saw coming)
I'd say that just to piss off and troll all the fallout 1 & 2 fanboys that just can't STFU about Bethesda and how it "ruined their world." It's one thing when a sequel is a complete disaster (Other M). But Fallout 3 was a good (great for some - like me) sequel, and these people still try to force the idea that it's as horrible as the SW prequels just because they're butt hurt that the series took on FPS game mechanics, was popular, and made boat loads of money.

But the only reason I wouldn't is because I like to do this strange thing and judge games with an "open mind," and Fallout 1 and 2 were good games. Although I rather have an FPS than an isometric chess board which bored me to tears and force me to play the damn games just for the story.

^^
Thank you Nomanslander for taking the words right out of my head :D
You know, I think I have a name for these people too.

I like to call them the Van Burens...lol

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Like it needs to be said? The last two games made by Bioware. Good god but I fear for the health of that company's creativity...

crusador90

Nov 16, 2011
thebobmaster said:
I hate to be a follower, but I have to say it. Metroid: Other M can go fuck off. And the worst part is that Team Ninja actually knew what they were doing! They knew that the new personality of Samus was bullshit! They knew that the motion controls were awkward! They knew the pixel hunts were annoying! But they were overridden by one man by the name of Yoshio Sakamoto.

Who is this man, you may ask? Oh, no one important. Just one of the co-creators of Metroid, and the director of Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Zero Mission!. Oh, and the dull voice actress? Yeah, she's actually quite skilled, as you can tell when she actually does emote. The problem is that Sakamoto-san decided to direct her to show no emotion most of the time, in order to try to simulate Samus's PTSD.

Congratulations, sir. You managed to completely assassinate the character you helped create, and make non-canon any games you didn't work on. Fuck you.
THIS! Oh dear Lord in the Kingdom of all that has Holy, THIS!

I consider myself sane, rational, and objective person when it comes to these things, always finding something good to say about even games that aren't that great and I never fly off the handle, but this game... this game is inexcusable.

Metroid Other M is a disaster that approaches Sonic 06 levels of backlash, even though it is, overall a much better game than the former. Not even the good, but unfortunately nixed potential of the gameplay could save the crimes on the franchise this one game wrought. The story itself is poorly written, is filled with inconsistencies to a point where it they often contradict plot points that happened, even if we were to somehow remove the Prime Trilogy from the timeline, which itself is beyond stupid. Not only has Nintendo not explicitly said that the Prime trilogy is not canon, but the very idea of removing the past decade of Metroid games from continuity with what could be a "simple" series of continuity errors in this game's story is just... ugh... I can't even begin to comprehend how dumb you have to be to retcon a decade's worth of good games. This is arguably parallel, yet worse than Spider-man: One More Day; removing continuity to fit in with your "idea". Also... another thing those two works have in common is completely derailing their respective characters to their most fundamental traits that have been established long before these travesties hit the market.

I could go on and on... saying what has already said, but the fact of the matter is... I hate this game. I hate this game with a burning passion, and that rarely EVER happens! I hate even more the fact that, in spite of these blatantly obvious faults in nigh-deliberate character sabotage, there exist people who defend this game! How can you defend this characterization of Samus?! How can you defend removing a decade of good games out of continuity, if they were actually going to do that?! How!? You just don't do that!

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Jynthor said:
Deus Ex Inv- That game doesn't exist.
Sorry, but WHY do people hate Invisible War so much? It's not as good as the original, but it's still a great game in it's own right.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Force Unleashed 2. Good acting and graphics, but so short I beat it in 3 hours.

I shall repeat: Three. F**king. Hours.

And the Endor DLC? What are you talking about? What DLC?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Final Fantasy X-2, because it ruined a pitch-perfect ending.
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier, because it ignores the original trilogy's ending and just pulls its entire storyline out of its cavernous ass.

EDIT: Oh! How could I forget Bioshock 2, which had no right to exist whatsoever? Or God of War III, which basically turned GoW I into a gigantic plot hole?

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
LawlessSquirrel said:
Also, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I'm sorry, but that was an unrelated game just reskinned for the IP-power. I refuse to believe it's part of the actual series, and it's instead some 'alternate reality' spinoff.

This was the first game i thought of too, funny you should mention it as a spinoff, since it's name actually follows the 'spin-off formula'

Main games: ('Name')
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie

Spin-offs: ('Name: subtitle name')
Banjo: Pilot
Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's revenge

and then as we know -
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Gone Rampant said:
Jynthor said:
Deus Ex Inv- That game doesn't exist.
Sorry, but WHY do people hate Invisible War so much? It's not as good as the original, but it's still a great game in it's own right.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
DeltaEdge said:
Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World. I liked the game, but it did nothing for the good of the Symphonia story, and the main characters from the previous although present just felt like nothing but side characters.
add in the fact that they couldnt be bothered to get the original voice actors.......i mean come on.
OT: halo reach. How did you screw up probibly the greatest story ever writen about the halo universe?! (if you dont know what im talking about look up the book halo fall of reach)

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Anthraxus said:
Fallout 3
2 new Operation Flashpoint games by Codemasters

Disgraces to the name.
Fuck you, Fallout 3 was the second best in the Fallout series. Fallout: Tactics and everything beforehand were tedious and clunky. You're a disgrace to YOUR name, whatever that means.

As for me?

DC Universe Online. Why did they pick the SHITTIEST versions of the characters to populate their game with? The flash is some tardwad who ISN'T Wally West. WALLY WEST IS THE ONLY SUPERHERO TO ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE VILLAINS HE FIGHTS.

The Green Lantern was some honky ass, cracka ass, boring ass white man in very homosexual looking domino mask instead of the awesome black guy who was more or less the Sam Jackson of the league in JLU.

Fuck it, I went in thinking it was a game about Justice League Unlimited, which as everyone on planet earth and beyond knows is the greatest incarnation of the DC universe ever made, and they went with the shit versions that nobody cares or knows about. Fuck you Sony Online Entertainment.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
F.3.A.R
Ahhhhhhhregeneratinghealthahhhhhhhhhnoarmourahhhhhhhco-opahhhhhhhhlevellingupahhhhhhhhh
Agreed, although I find it to be a fun game, I don't see how it's canon.

1. At the end of F.E.A.R 2 - Reborn we see Paxton Fettel taking over the 814 or whatever his name is. In F.E.A.R 3 we see Fettel as a fucking ghost! No! He is not a ghost, he has a body! and unless he has the power of possession while in his new body then it makes no sense.

2. It's Day 1 Studio's and they are not monolith. I know they worked with them, but I really don't think that counts.

Also, the F.E.A.R 1 expansion packs, extraction point and perseus mandate are considered non canon anyway.

I also love Bioshock 2 but consider that non-canon, obviously it's a different dev, but it just doesn't gel the same way.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Some people would say Star Fox Assault should be non-canon, but with me going back to replay Star Fox Command, I have to say that Assault very much SHOULD be despite what you thought about the on-foot sections.

And personally, I don't see why people hate Fallout 3 so much. I've played all the Fallout games, including the ACTUAL non-canon games, and I don't remember any glaring lore-breaking aspects. It's literally on the other side of the United States, shit is going to be different.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Mmm can't think of games but I guess in movies the star wars prequels go without saying...