Games which brought out TRUE emotion in you

Thatguykalem

Dec 13, 2010
Fear
Left 4 Dead - I have an almost-phobia of frantic moments. Anything frantic, like a charging zombie horde scares the hell out of me. It's like, sensory overload, and I just freak out.

Halo - When I first played CE, and had to go into the Library. Holy shit. Those scars will never heal.

Half-Life 2 - One word: Ravenholm.

Sadness
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 - I nearly cried. I was angry, not at the game, but at the Combine. I wanted revenge.

Halo 3 -
When Johnson dies.

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
Honestly I'd have to say, Kingdom Hearts Ending.. I believe an actual tear fell from my eyes. i was 13 though, but I still reckon if I went back to it, after playing the whole game, Kingdom hearts still does that.
It makes me feel happy, and fuzzy when Sora's trying so hard for his friends.

PiercisionBass

Apr 1, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins.
Arl Rendon Howe pissed me off greatly by murdering my family, usurping their power, and then flaunting it in my face while slandering me. Killing him gave me great pleasure.

PiercisionBass

Apr 1, 2010
Hound174 said:
Honestly I'd have to say, Kingdom Hearts Ending.. I believe an actual tear fell from my eyes. i was 13 though, but I still reckon if I went back to it, after playing the whole game, Kingdom hearts still does that.
Welcome to the Escapist, monsignor!

MrAkuma201

Oct 28, 2009
FFX dont know why but it did Happy sad and angry all at the same time at the end of the game.

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
PiercisionBass said:
Hound174 said:
Welcome to the Escapist, monsignor!
Thanks ^_^
Figured I've been reading posts for a good 6 months now, why not make an account? :D

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
Probably Persona 3 Fes was the only game that recently left any emotion in me. The end of the Journey is depressing, even the choice you get before that is.

<spoiler=ending from wikipedia>On December 31, New Year's Eve, the player must decide whether to kill Ryoji. If he is spared, then the game continues, and on January 31, SEES ascends to the roof of Tartarus to face Ryoji, who has transformed into the Nyx Avatar. While they are able to defeat him, Nyx continues to descend to Earth. As this is happening, the Protagonist is summoned to the Velvet Room, where Igor reminds him that the power of his Social Links would determine his potential. The Protagonist hears the voices of his friends encouraging him. The strength of his Social Links grants him the power of the "Universe", allowing him to seal away Nyx from humanity. The world returns to normal, though the memories of the past year are lost to the members of SEES. However, Aigis and the Protagonist do remember. On Graduation Day, the two go to the roof of the school, where the members of SEES had promised to meet should they stop Nyx and live to see their graduation. It is here that Aigis thanks the Protagonist for giving her a purpose in life: protecting him. Shortly afterwards, he closes his eyes, and is implied to have passed away.
If you choose to kill Ryoji, the game ends with everyone forgetting the adventures and the world and humanity is destroyed
But, come on,
He sacrificed himself for humanity, essentially dieing for everyone's sins. So, at least he went in a badass way/

But while we're on the Persona tra- hold on:
While we're on the Persona train, Persona 4. It's the only time I was able to sympathise with a grade-school age character. If you played it, this song oughta jog some memories.
Now enough of a Japanese game that only the internet's played, and something better.

In Dead Rising 2 and No More Heroes 2, the one thing I felt most of the time, when I wasn't paying attention to the story, was catharsis. Goddamn, is it fun to chop things with a lightsaber and do wrestling moves. I'm glad that both games did that.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
I've played all the persona games, and that was before it was cool to play them.

but yeah, I've played P4. It didnt carry the same emotional weight in comparison to the P3/P3 Fes/P3P endings.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
Here's my main three
When Zack dies at the end I actually cried. Similarly to the OP, I knew it was the inevitable outcome because I played FFVII as well, but it was how he died and the events leading up to his death that made me shed a tear for a true SOLDIER. And then this music plays and well...
To be fair, I never played the original and so I only vaguely knew that Kerrigan was somehow transformed into the Queen of Blades, but this cinematic made me really hate Mengsk.
To be honest, this happened in Vesperia too but I played Symphonia first.
All Mythos ever wanted was to live in a world where he and his sister wouldn't be persecuted for being half-elves. Sure, he was going about it all wrong but I agreed with his goal and hated having to kill him.
Then again, doing it in 15 seconds thanks to the Devil's Arms was pretty cool.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
The Silent Hill games (The REAL SIlent Hill games, 1,2,3 and possibly 4) have all brought out almost all of my emotions at one point or another. Shattered Memories was sad and had a good story, but the chase scenes were annoying and it wasn't very creepy.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
My name is Fiction said:
"how do you do it with videos?"
Not sure, they have tutorials on this stuff somewhere.

biggles1 said:
Only 2 games have ever actually made me care.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - The ending where almost all the SAS guys get killed, twas sad to loose gaz especially. Also lots of good themes in the game, really did have some good stuff in there.

World in Conflict - When Bannon Sacrifices himself in the nuclear explosion, and then you find out all the hate hes been through up to that point. Epic game, 10/10 I'd reccomend it to anyone for awesome story and fantastic gameplay.
Agreed, CoD 4's ending was pretty damn tragic, and the Pripyat level and the nuke really got to me, and World in Conflict has a much greater story than most FPS's games which is really odd considering most stratergy games are kinda unable to sort of bring the player into it in a way.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Shadow of the Colossus:

Playing any part of that game gives you a profound loneliness, especially if you're playing it without anyone else around. At the same time you feel amazing when you manage to down one of the colossi, yet you have mixed emotions about the whole demon thing...

Okami:

Many parts of the game elict all sorts of emotions - some notable points are when you restore the natural beauty to an area, or when you watch over a small creature as you feed them. Warm and Fuzzy, peaceful, zen-like.

Beyond Good and Evil:

The lighthouse part that someone mentioned earlier. Sad and angry at the same time.

Final Fantasy(s):

VI was just all around brilliant. VII - The climax where Cloud remembered what really happened between him and Sephiroth; I thought was pretty inspiring. IX - the whole Terra section depressed me so much I didn't want to play the game for awhile.

Chrono Cross:

The scene with Miguel in the Dead Sea with his song playing after he just told you his tragic story was pretty heart-wrenching.

Star Ocean 2:

Many points throughout the game.

Lost Odyssey:

Many of the short stories you could unlock which were presented like novels with background sound gave a variety of emotions.

Skies of Arcadia:

A general feeling of freedom while playing, and optimism during most of the narrative.

Krylock

Dec 20, 2010
Halo 3 at the end brought me some emotion.

Also when Maria died in Gears of war 2

TheGroovyMule

Oct 23, 2008
Well, when it comes to fear, I've had my share of jump frights, and startles, but those don't really count. True emotion in horror games is gut wrenching terror that makes it feel as though you are actually there. My best moment for that was in Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which I even have on record, here:http://www.justin.tv/thegroovymule/b/275840365

In terms of sadness, it's not exactly a game, and those that have played it, might fully disagree with me, but the Half Life 2 mod, Dear Esther, welled up a sudden surge of emotion in me. A particular line near the end:

"I have become fixed: open and staring, an eye turned on itself. I have become an infected leg, whose tracking lines form a perfect map of the junctions of the M5. I will take the exit at mid-thigh and plummet to my Esther."

Which was delivered with such emotion and sadness , that I choked up as I realized what the story was about, and it's rather tragic.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Shadow of The Colossus, mainly the end off it.
The last boss fight of Atelier Iris 3 and the ending.
Oh, and the ending of Drakengard.
So very, very sad

Darkrain11

May 14, 2009
The ending of Twilight Princess really made me sad (cries manly tears). I had really grown to like Midna and !!!SPOILER!!! when she leaves and destroys the Mirror of Twilight, making it impossible for the twilight realm to connect to Hyrule ever again it truly brought me to the verge of tears. You could really see how she had grown close to Link and how Link had grown close to her and more than likely Midna fell in love with Link if her actions towards him in the second half of the game are evidence enough to support that possibility.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
I've played all the persona games, and that was before it was cool to play them.

but yeah, I've played P4. It didnt carry the same emotional weight in comparison to the P3/P3 Fes/P3P endings.
I wasn't talking about the ending, hell no, P3 had a much more dramatic ending, I mean, at least there was some sort of impact in P3's, but number 4 was the cheeriest ending I've seen to a game short of Katamari Damacy. What I was referring to in P4 was Nanako when
when her organs failed after rescuing her from the TV World.
To be fair, it only really hit hard because she was the first non-annoying, child that didn't make me murderous or want to tear off my ears. That, and she was the first kid I managed to identify with in a game.

ZodiacMaster101

Jul 6, 2010
i remember when i was playing pokemon red rescue tea after i had saved the pokemon world and stopped the meteor, and when my character had to go and dissapeared, i cried and became sad because i had gottens attached to my character and it really pulled on my heartstrings to see my character phase out of existance

luckshotpro

Oct 18, 2010
Bioshock in a couple places, sadness/anger when Atlus' family is killed, and huge shocked surprise with the plot twist near the end