Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
the December King said:
Poetic Nova said:
...Carmageddon...
Carmageddon was a blast! Good choice.
Was? I'd say it still is :p
I still go back to the first 2 games on a regular basis, to the point of never leaving the harddisk.
And soon there's the Carmageddon that comes to the PS4 and Xbone, which seems to be Reincarnation but fixed.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
Was? I'd say it still is :p
I still go back to the first 2 games on a regular basis, to the point of never leaving the harddisk.
Too true, too true- I just haven't played them in ages. Loved customizing cars in Carmageddon 2, though. Soo much fun.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
That first Bioshock game nabbed atmosphere+story+gameplay so well I can't not give it that 10/10 nothing has quite equalled that experience so far.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
AccursedTheory said:
Dizchu said:
Doom is an 11/10, matey.
Hardly. Doom is just Contra in 3D. 3/10 at best.

I'm gonna throw some more votes on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Two expertly crafted worlds with hellish gameplay to go with the hellscape. Wish I still had my PS3 so I could play some Demon's, actually.
Yes, indeed, right, correct for Doom be a 3D Contra.
But can you put a Mod in Contra and start f*cking the living sh*t of the enemies you encounter?
I think not.

Btw Google HDoom. You are welcome. I prefer the sex scene with the Shotgun-chan.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Sonic & Knuckles - A solid final installment of the Classic Sonic series, whose Lock-On feature encouraged replay-ability and rewarded loyal fans with lots of free content.

Bioshock - An FPS that excels in gameplay, story, and atmosphere, that had a great risk and reward system that ultimately pays off in the end.

Uncharted 2 - A sequel that took everything that was great about its predecessor and piles on tons of extra content, featuers, and gameplay, which includes a very fun, unique, and competitive online multiplayer.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Taking the foundation of the first AC and doing away with its tedious repetitive formula by including a flexible and enjoyable combat and counter system, large expansive maps to explore, varying missions and subplot that yielded great rewards to your character and the story, and giving us one of the best protagonist in the franchise.

Kirby: Mass Attack - Another example of a re-imagined Kirby title done right, this game takes away Kirby's signature copy ability in favor of 10 versions of himself to gnaw on foes and dog pile all obstacles. Aside from being a very competent title brimming with extra content, it is also a must-own for any Nintendo DS owner, as it utilizes the touch controls brilliantly.

Tetris (almost any iteration, really) - Simple in design and execution, it's a puzzle game whose only difficulty and replay value are determined solely on the player, which makes it a very enduring and fun game to pick up and play.

BlackBark

Apr 8, 2010
Arina Love said:
MGS 5 betrays everything good about MGS, in my opinion. Instead of interesting locations/levels they put in a absolutely boring open word x2 full of emptiness. They absolutely destroyed cinematic feel and the story delivery MGS is known for. Got rid of awesome boss fights , new crazy characters and talkative Snake. I play and love MGS for a story, batsh*t crazy characters and it's cinematic feel. As a long time fan of the series i never wanted open world MGS...especially if it's done like MGS5.....bleh...
Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. Never before have I been so hyped and then disappointed in a game, about five to ten hours in when it finally hit me that it just wasn't going to be MGS. There were still a few hints of the old humour, but they could have done so much more.

OT:

MGS series - I feel like these games were basically made for me. While I can fault them, it doesn't affect my desire to replay them from time to time.

Half Life 2/Ep 1/Ep 2 - One of my most replayed series. The only thing I didn't like about them was the lack of weapon variety.

Witcher 3 - The best game I've played in a long time. Great world, great characters, great story.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat - Immersive and atmospheric game world. I also really liked the way the game remained challenging. Even though the enemies didn't change too much and you could get really powerful weapons late game, if you were caught off guard, it could easily be the end.

That's enough for now...otherwise I'll just end up listing all my favourite games.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
For me....hmm. 10/10 games huh? Okay.

1. Final Fantasy 7 - game is a masterpiece, love it or hate it, the game is just fucking good. A lot of people talk shit about it because the graphic style is hard to go back too. You really had to play this game at the right time to get it, and I was one of those people. Still one of the best games ever made in my eyes.

2. Xenogears - Still to this day I cannot come up with a turn based RPG that has a more fun combat system. The combo system on the ground, plus the gear battles. Holy fuck! Sure the game is rushed at the end, but that doesn't take away just how incredible this game was.

3. The Witcher 3 - A more modern game. This is probably the only next gen game I can honestly say blew me away. The scale, the story, the graphics, the lore, everything about this game is just amazing. If it has one flaw for me, it's that it is nearly impossible to replay. Because the game is so huge, it isn't a game you can ever go back to for fun. Which sucks because I didn't wanna have to Youtube different endings.

4. World of Warcraft - The game that is going to get me the most hate. But hear me out. World of Warcraft was and still is a fucking incredible game. It is certainly crumbling under it's age, but in it's hayday very few games could beat out WoW for my time. When I am old and grey I will still look back upon my time in WoW raiding Illidan's temple, or the Lich King's Citadel with my friends as some of the best memories of my life. No other game has ever or will ever give me that feeling again. For that, WoW deserves to be here.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Portal = Yes, it's short, but it's interesting and compelling from beginning to end and the story is perfectly married to the game play and vice-versa. It's the only game that I've played as an adult that filled me with the same sort of awe and excitement that I got from playing NES/SNES games in my youth.

Dark Souls = So much depth and dark beauty, and, like the above example, the game play and story are interwoven perfectly.

Chrono Trigger = The definitive JRPG, representing everything that ever made the genre interesting or worthwhile, the standard by which JRPGs should be judged.

Super Metroid = So richly atmospheric, yet so simple and fun, yet still challenging. It achieves a balance between being artfully atmospheric tour de force and just being a straightforwardly fun and challenging game.

Metroid Prime = (see above), but in gorgeous 3D. Seriously, this game still looks great, despite not being in HD.

Those are the ones that come to mind without thinking too hard.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Tron 2.0 - C'mon, why am I the first person to mention this gem?
FTL
StarCraft
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Dizchu said:
blackrave said:
System Shock 2- excellent game, even things that other call "flaws" I consider great addition to theme. For example "useless weapons" perfectly fit game world. BFG will kill all enemies around you AND you, organic weapons were designed against you (they only occasionally serve you), stasis tool is as useless as one would expect.
I dunno, SS2 is my second favourite game of all time (behind Doom) but its flaws such as the terrible ending detract from the experience for me. Like Beethoven's 9th Symphony ending on a bum note. Doesn't make the rest of the experience any less of a masterpiece but ughh, what a poor way to finish.
What was so terrible about ending?
Granted, it was cliffhanger that went nowhere (at least for now- I still hope one day to see SS3), but other than that it was good.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
blackrave said:
What was so terrible about ending?
Granted, it was cliffhanger that went nowhere (at least for now- I still hope one day to see SS3), but other than that it was good.
After the Command Deck of SS2 the game goes completely downhill.

The Rickenbacker levels are structured in a much more linear fashion than the Von Braun levels, essentially turning the game into a generic corridor shooter almost. However at this point the decrease in quality with the level design is compensated by the story, which remains strong. The Body of the Many was particularly interesting and I wish it was handled better, the Many boss fight was completely underwhelming and the cyberspace finale? Ughh...

They were obviously going into crunch time when it came to these final stages and it disappoints me that the first two thirds of the game (a solid 10/10) derails so much for the last third.

Actually there's something I've noticed about System Shock 2 in comparison to Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite and its two DLCs. The Bioshock games each started very strong and (perhaps with an exception to the first) they ended pretty strong too. But the middle portions of those games? Absolutely forgettable. In contrast SS2 begins with tedious exposition and ends with a descent into absurdity, but the gameplay and storytelling in-between is fantastic. I haven't played Bioshock 2 so no comment.

It goes to show that the most important part of a game isn't its beginning or end but its middle. If SS2 had a strong beginning and ending it'd be the pinnacle of game design for me, but instead it's my second favourite game.

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
I really like how many people are mentioning Spec Ops: The Line. Didn't expect that.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Not sure about the 10/10 rating, cannot be that absolute with any artistic medium. Hell, even my own opinion is fluid and changing quite often, i don't understand how anybody could just stick to one state of belief for the rest of their life.
What's stopping anyone from changing their ratings? There are lots of games I'd no longer give a 10.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Nothing is perfect.

There is a SLIM possibility that I will declare some game to be perfect - perfect enough to be my literal "best game that I will play in my lifetime, including all future games"(and I don't use this term lightly).

(I guess this would also mean that after such game, its all downhill from there.)

But it has never happened before, and I doubt it ever will.

Brandon Lowdermilk

Oct 8, 2012
Majora's Mask I think is the best zelda game ever made
Also I think Dead Rising 2 is the best zombie game ever made
Fallout 3

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Skatalite said:
I really like how many people are mentioning Spec Ops: The Line. Didn't expect that.

I played it and quit it after hour. its just another cover based shooter. basically gears of war with sands. waste of time. they can make a shooter without wall cover.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't give a perfect score to many. TV, Movies, Books, my 8 or 9 out of 10 and the 4 out of five may have hundreds even thousands of entries. But I reserve the perfect score for only the absolute most sublime experiences. Maybe my top 5 or 10 get the perfect score. In video games... maybe

TIE-Fighter
Perfect Dark
Portal
Ultima 7
Silent Hill 2
Fallout (pick one)

And... Shadow of the Colossus. Maybe. Yikes. And seeing how FO 4 probably isn't my favorite of the Fallout games (although it's quite good) wow, it's been a while since gaming has had one of those really GREAT moments. Oh well, maybe we're due a good one.