Games you hate that everybody else seems to love.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
HalfChance said:
Do you have a game that you just can't stand or just don't get? Yet it seems that every critic and man on the street has an accident in their trousers just talking about it

If so let us know what it is.

For me it's Portal, I could never really find anything I liked about it, Even the "humour" didn't really appeal to me.
....same here

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
Any and all Call of Duty games, WoW, and Minecraft. Especially Minecraft. Seriously. That game is like mainlining of Ben Stein's voice.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I have a little list:
1. World of Warcraft: Can you say "fetch quest extravaganza?"
2. I dislike Portal only because every time I play, the portals trigger motion sickness.
3. Sports games: If I wanted to play sports, I'd actually join a team.
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Nothing more than Modern Warfare 2: Vietnam
5. Section 8: Worst weapons balancing job in an FPS ever. Biggest design flaw being the last level: do it wrong and you literally cannot kill the final boss, even on Easy,
6. StarCraft II: Why does everything I make die so quickly? Where did that enemy army come from? It's only been five minutes!!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Starwars, yes it has it's own category.
battlefront
the force unleashed
knights of the old republic

Heroes of ****earth
battlefield bad-game 2
eve on-line
rift
L4D 2 played this for 1 hour in multi-player, that was way more than enough.
grid
bioshock 2
Far-cry 2
i blocked out the whole c+c kane crap so i have no idea if i liked that or not 'twitches'
what else...
gta4
( mostly got annoyed with niko running vaguely where i pointed him as though he was perpetually drunk, and the missions seemed to drag on forever and there was little to no sense of completion, so i gave up )

crysis 2, yes really i find this a disappointment after ea hyped it unrelentingly and it just turned out to be 'cod3D' in a nano-suit i don't 'hate' it.. but it's a clear back-step in game play from crysis 1 imo.

age of empires on-line, yes i know it hasn't been released yet, but i've been beta testing it and i hate everything about it so it goes here because my friends love it already..

plenty of stuff i'm sure i missed, but i'll get enough flames from fan boys to keep me warm till next spring as it is i'm sure.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
The Apothecarry said:
3. Sports games: If I wanted to play sports, I'd actually join a team.
i say this to my friends all the time, along with
"if i wanted to play a warrior in x game i would just go take fencing classes"
<3 Magic it has FTW stamped on it!

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
pokemon:
it makes me feel like the guy from the movie "groundhog day", doing the same thing over and over and over again though in slightly different ways.
youve played one, youve played them all, they havent really innovated (besides introducing more pokemon every time.) in FIFTEEN years!

mario:
basicly the same deal

halo/call of duty:
more of a problem with the online community than with the actual games themselves though i always found that in halo it takes far to many bullets to kill someone while in call of duty it took far too few (also i found cods multiplayer combat seemed to revolve around "survival of the cheapest")

a great deal of bioware's games:
too....much...TEXT!!! honestly if i wanted that much text i'd read a damn novel. i reckon that the bethesda games have around the same amount of text (though its widely spaced due to the enoumity of their worlds). a game like mass effect or DA. just have too much text for the world size, thus coming across as overwhelming

and finally.. final fantasy VII:
whats the big deal? i played it then and ive played it now.
and i still dont get how this is supposed to be the so-called god of rpgs.
also it was about now that the 'fantasy' portion of the game seemed to loose intrest and go on holiday untill ff9. all in all it was a bit of a borefest.

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
I can't say I truly hate any game, I think if I'm not going to like it I tend to not play it.
I never had any interest in Halo, the idea of playing a console FPS repelled me and it was underwhelming when it came out on PC.
Some games I play at LANs with friends I don't really like but there is still some fun to be had. Warcraft III, Starcraft II, SWAT4, and Battlefield 2 all come to mind.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
The Halo series, quite overrated.
I thought the story wasn't engaging and the gameplay was too generic, plus, I don't really like Master Chief.

Jun 7, 2010
Uncharted 2: There is nothing remotely original about this shiny turd. The story is like bad indiana jones fanfiction, the gameplay has been copy-pasted out of every third-person shooter ever made ever and the characters are annoying and generic.

Dead rising 2: HOW THE FUCK DID ANYONE THINK THAT HAVING ABOUT 5 BADLY SIGNPOSTED SAVE POINTS AROIND THE WHOLE GAME WORLD WAS A GOOD IDEA!!??

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
I did like WoW at first but after a few weeks it was very boring and just disgustingly bad gameplay so yeah WoW ^^
Minecraft absolutely nothing for me
and counterstrike beck in highschool almost every guy in my class played it I did'nt like it I still don't but GunGame is fun sometimes^^

ah and GTA 4 it's just boring

Gears of War 1&2 bad and boring game with absolutely disgusting characters I mean look at them... who could possibly identifiy oneself with something like this (except for anabolika taking body builder) the story is said to be good but nothing about this game piqued my interest -.- also didn't like the enemies (LONGT STORY SHORT I HATE THE Gears of War GAMES!!!)

Dead Rising 1&2 most boring zombie game in a long time witch atrocious story and selfloathing gameplay

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Hold on. Let me back up a bit. I need to get into my bomb shelter first. And I need my hard hat, too.. Okay, ready. *inhales*

World of Warcraft

*ducks*

EDIT: I would like to say, I'm not saying this to be a troll or anything. I've played the game before for a few months, addicted like anybody else when one day, a voice in the back of my head said, "I'm really not enjoying this." I have come to realize that I was only into the game because of the so-called "Skinner Box" they have so carefully put into place...and maybe the story. But once I realized that same box was the main reason why I was into the game, I also realized there was very little else to hold me there. It's not a 'bad' game; I just want something a little more...engaging, without the psychological mumbo jumbo.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Bobbity said:
It's a pity you didn't try get started on Bioware games a while ago; KotOR was bloody brilliant, and Jade Empire was fantastic. They're both too dated to be considered great without that nostalgia factor now though.
I've never been much of a Star Wars fan, so KotoR is out of the question.

Jade Empire is available on Steam... and it seems interesting. I'll have to look into it.
Bobbity said:
Red Dead on the other hand... I loved that game so fucking much :D
That game. <3

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
VikingSteve said:
Random berk said:
Half Life 2 for me. The gameplay was horrible

Care to elaborate? It was pretty straightforward.
Its a while since I've played it now, but if I remember correctly, the aiming speed was one of my major concerns, and the fact that Gordon Freeman seemed to be so wide that unless you stepped up to a doorway in precisely the right spot, he'd get stuck against the frame. Not so good when there's people shooting at you. Also, I generally prefer cover based shooters. I know Yahtzee has a pet hate against them and therefore everyone else does too, but if you're in a firefight, what tactic do you think is more likely to keep you alive? Finding cover, then popping out and firing at the best times, or just standing out in the open, screaming and going full auto as bullets fly past your ears?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Portal - Yeah it's ok but it's nowhere near the best thing ever made ever.

Half Life 1 & 2 - See above. It's just another FPS. That's not a bad thing, but it's not the greatest thing, the greatest thing since bread came sliced and left me confused and annoyed.

Fifa Series - Ok I understand why you have one, but why shell out £40-£50 every year for an update that any respectible company would make at most a £5 DLC.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - I have no idea at all why we needed to go any further than Modern Warfare.