Games you wish you HADN'T bought...

PaintChips

Jan 18, 2008
57Htz said:
Wait, what?
Anton P. Nym said:
I didn't put it on The List, though, as I'd only spent $10 on a used copy for a lark and I got at least $10 worth of entertainment out of it.
I did like the destructible environments. It was always nice knocking a building down on someone. But I got it at release, so it was like 40$... Or 50$. I don't remember.

Irrok the Wide

Feb 12, 2008
Dark Messiah Might and Magic Elements

I can't believe I'm admitting this THE SHAME. Honestly that's the only game I regret buying in a decade. I paid full price - tried to return it - but the offer was to low to justify.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Alpha001 said:
I regret buying Civ 4. I played it for 2 hours, hotseating with my friend, we both found it confusing and boring. It just takes to long for your people to get better and evolve. If you want tanks, you have to

A. Start at the beginning and play for 20+ grueling hours
B. Start right at tanks

Its kinda stupid.
...and thats how its been since the original civilisation was released in 1991.

i mean what is it with people on this thread. the above comment is almost as strange as a previous comment about not liking the D and D element of Neverwinter Nights 2

JCIcefox

Mar 30, 2008
I didn't happen to see it in my brief glimpse through here, so I certainly hope I was the only person unfortunate enough to own Worms Forts. I genuinely enjoyed Worms 3D, but they went completely ass backwards to implement new ideas that all went against the simplicity of the originals.

Another game deserving an honourable mention is SiN Episode 1. I got it packaged with another bargain game at Zellers for 5 whole dollars, effectively making it cost less than A McDonald's value meal, and I *still* paid too much for it.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I find it funny how so many people are saying they hated Assassin's Creed and think games are a waste after one walkthrough. For the record, I think Assassin's Creed was an innovative game - and while I was repetitive, it was still good despite it. And what the hell is up with people saying Bioshock (or any game!) is a bad purchase just because they don't get another totally original playthrough? Do you want every game to have a half-dozen play-through options? Christ, get over yourself.

For me, anyway. I wish I'd never bought:

- Banjo-Kazooie on N64,
- Neverwinter Nights 2 for PC - and even though it was free with my video card, it doesn't hold a candle to NWN1.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Blood 2: The Chosen.
- SIN.
- Prince Of Persia PS2 sequels.
- Viva Pinata.

Arkmagius

Apr 30, 2008
My vote? Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3. First of all, the box stated a 400mHz processor under the minimum requirements, yet check any review and you'll see that people with computers up to 1.8 gHz have trouble getting the MAIN MENU to run smoothly. Secondly, it abandoned ALL the gameplay mechanics of the original CFS (which was one of my favourite titles of all time, I even bought one of the 3rd party aircraft packs). Component damage is not listed in real-time anymore (in fact, I'm not sure it exists), even the nimblest fighters handle like a drunk mule, and they completely changed the control layout with the new Flight Simulator engine. Add to that the apparent removal of airports (I didn't get far enough in the campaign to be completely sure, but the free flights can't start on the ground anymore), the inclusion of bomber turrets (yeah, because when I'm on a bombing run, I have time to fly, handle AA duty, AND drop the actual bombs. At once.), and broken RPG elements, and it just adds up to a horrible game.

Worst of all, though, was the inclusion of 'mission zones' (are these EVER popular?), where if you left a (small) area, even on 'free flight', you are yelled at by the computer. What happened to being able to fly _all the way around the globe_ nonstop, like you could in the original game?

Considering I picked up this relatively old title two months ago for $30... well, it's probably worth five. Tops. I trashed it within two days.

Other disappointments? Any 'tactical shooter' (read: three shots or one headshot is fatal to your character) where you have to protect your AI buddies. The only good Tom Clancy game is a solo Tom Clancy game.

Skooba Stevos

Apr 8, 2008
For some reason, The Orange Box seemed like a waste of money for me. Never finished any of the Half-Life's. Played through Portal once. And played TF2 for about an hour before I got bored of the whole thing. Well atleast that, Assassins Creed and Oblivion are gonna get me a free copy of GTA IV... They were good for something then :p

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Skooba Stevos said:
For some reason, The Orange Box seemed like a waste of money for me. Never finished any of the Half-Life's. Played through Portal once. And played TF2 for about an hour before I got bored of the whole thing. Well atleast that, Assassins Creed and Oblivion are gonna get me a free copy of GTA IV... They were good for something then :p
i was going to say the orange box was a disappointment, but then I realised how polarising such a comment can be on these forums.

lionusprime

Nov 20, 2007
Blazing Dragons on the Sega Saturn. A typical example of a game that tries to make an amusing satire of a genre - this time, point and click adventures - and falls over at the first hurdle of not being genuinely amusing, then proceeds to run straight through the next hurdle of not being a good game and makes it all the way to the finish line and get released to the public anyway. It came as a shock, too - voice actors included Monty Python's Terry fucking Jones, so I thought it had to be at least funny, but it turned out to be a large crate of suck loaded first aboard the Failboat.

And, for completely different reasons, Shenmue and Shenmue II on the Sega Dreamcast. Never before have I been so awe-struck by a game as when I first played Shenmue, I was literally giddy with anticipation as the second installment neared it's release, then many years later after re-releases and other-game-cameo-references and a planned MMO, the intellectual property gets shelved and all chances of the story coming to its originally intended conclusion end. Now the only hope of salvation and closure for all Shenmue fans is a company with enough money to buy the IP rights coming along and ending the the story for us. Of course, if they don't do it well enough they're in for the flaming bag of dogshit on the doorstep trick from hundreds of disgruntled Shenmue fans, so I doubt very much anyone's rich and ambitious enough to take that responsibility.

Similarly, NiGHTS InTo Dreams on the Sega Saturn. A textbook example of Shitty Sequel Syndrome. I loved the original so much that the prospect of a Wii sequel - with realistic flying possible thanks to the Wiimotes - was fantastic. Then it arrives and was decidedly not the game it could have been and I'm left with the sour taste of disappointment.

And just to be conformist, Assassin's Creed. but for different reasons. I enjoyed the WHOLE story, but I didn't enjoy all the fucking about looking for several hundred flags that due to shoddy programming didn't always actually spawn.

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
Half my DS library.

Spectrobes: Just... Bad. I mean, it was ok, but I just didn't get into it and now I resent it.

Theme Park: Yeah I bought it assuming it was as good as Theme Park World, the game I used to have for my PC. I was mistaken.

Mario Party DS: Ok, so I preordered, and then my DS was smashed. I have played it once or twice in the (6?) months since I bought it. It hasn't made a good impression.

Halo 3 (and subsequently my 360 itself): I just don't play it.

shinseitori

Feb 12, 2008
One that sticks out plainly in my mind is Vagrant Story. It was around that time that I stopped buying games based on the rep of publishers and dev studios and instead listened to reviews and word-of-mouth. Couldn't tell you how many times I picked up that game and tried to play through it but just been unable to.

Since then, I've been fortunate and haven't really had many purchases I regret, though as far as recent games go I think I can also put Final Fantasy XII out there. The more I think about it I realize how disappointing it was. It reminds me of another game with an very long development period, Freelancer. The project leads for both games had different visions of what the games were going to be than what they ended up as. Whereas Digital Anvil managed to salvage Freelancer into an enjoyable single-player experience (albeit the sprawling universe reeked of untapped potential), Square just broke too many conventions with their game to make it work. While they reeled in some of the crazy ideas that they had, they didn't back it up to the tried-and-true strengths of the series as much as they should have. Much of the gameplay was disjointed and underdeveloped, and though the game shined when it was able to focus on storytelling, it was definitely a world where chocobos and moogles felt alien. Combine the two and I think it was just too much for long-time fans of the series to reconcile.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Guitar Hero 3:
My friend bought it, I looked at the songs, saw no good ones (slash is overrated) and I just put my hand on his shoulder and said: "I feel for you". I also have a personal loathing of Les Paul guitars.

Fable:
I loved the game with a vengeance, and then they brought out the lost chapters, with more in it for the same price. I felt a bit jipped there.

Halo 2: Multiplayer Map Pack:
Don't get me wrong, 2 is fun and all, but I still feel sad when nearly all of the fun glitches in the game get deleted as a result. Also, the only fun map was the one with the trains. (OMG? Who are The Guardians anyway?)

Dead or Alive: Ultimate:
I bought it for parties. It really annoyed me when the good disc did not work, rendering me to the original DOA (Bored Stiff) And the controller it came with broke not too long after. And then, the receipt disappeared.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
Knockout Kings 2002
EA killed one of their best franchises with that one. Killed it hard, until they released Fight Night 2 years later.

disposable157

Apr 29, 2008
Metroid Prime 3:
Yes, I believed the hype. As a life long PC FPS player, it was like stepping back into the mid 90's... terrible guns, bad level design... it's only considered good on the Wii because Nintendo owners aren't used to FPS...

Lego Star Wars:
Yes, it's funny but the gameplay is terrible.

Sin: Episodes
Was in the Valve fever a few years ago. Dear god that was generic crap. At least I got the original sin with it though...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
disposable157 said:
Metroid Prime 3:
Yes, I believed the hype. As a life long PC FPS player, it was like stepping back into the mid 90's... terrible guns, bad level design... it's only considered good on the Wii because Nintendo owners aren't used to FPS...
I have played nearly every major FPS since Wolfenstein 3D, and even some not so major ones. With that in mind, I found Metroid 3 to be an incredible game. The level design was superb. I think Metroid games just aren't for you. They have a lot of exploring, and a lot of backtracking over areas but thats part of Metroid.

You're certainly allowed your opinion, you just shouldn't generalize that Wii owners don't play FPS games (some people don't consider metroid an FPS anyways...).

disposable157

Apr 29, 2008
My that was a well considered responce...

I think I am unduely harsh on Metroid Prime 3, partly because everyone went on about how it was so much better than red steel, which I prefered. Partly because I have never liked laser guns in first person games but mostly, as you say, because of the exploration sections. Are those sections typical of Metroid games?

I'm intruiged as to what Metroid 3 would be though if it's not an FPS...

There's a problem with the generalisation I made about wii owners and FPS's isn't there... it's that there isn't really a typical wii owner. It coveres the hardcore crysis nuts and my 52 year old landlady who volunteers at a camp for disabled people.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Metroid games have always been adventure games, which is why there's a lot of exploration and backtracking. Yet when it came time to transition into 3-D, the first person perspective seemed only natural (which I, unlike several other Metroid fans, agree with)