Games you wished you liked

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
The Castlevania reboot, Lords of Shadow. It was cool, interesting... but I hated the linear levels and despised the God of War ripoff gameplay. I've been a Castlevania fan since NES days, but I just couldn't get into Lords of Shadow.

The 3DS one was fun enough, and I enjoyed it... still not as good as before the reboot, though.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Monster Hunter. God, if it added some story or actual characters, maybe I could do it, but it's just a small coop MMO with no lore. Maybe I'll give it another go some other time, but I just cannot get into it.

Same goes for Pokemon. It has little to no plot, and the plot that is there is as bare bones as it can get, and there are NO characters from what I can tell. It's just a giant card game basically except with less depth and so little lore and world based on it.

And I wish I was better at Baldur's Gate. Seriously, I have no idea what I'm doing in that game. It just discourages me and I can't play it for much more after I've died a few times.

And most of all, League of Legends. I kind of like it, but I cannot play it like my friends can. Solo que is god awful so I can't really learn the game well at my own pace, if I don't know something about some champion I've never played before I'm some idiot, and trying to learn the meta is like trying to read the Divine Comedy in Latin, and all you know is Cuneiform.

And also the original Deus Ex. I cannot make any headway into that game.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Beyond good and evil.

Again as with other people it may be a case of saturating up all the cliches used in this game elsewhere before I played it. While others will not have been as overexposed or jaded and could enjoy the novelty of it all. Makes me think gaming would suck as an immortal. I mean imagine watching everyone lose their shit over a groundbreaking advancement in entertainment that you can only see as a rehash of something that's been around for 3'000 years.

Rendark

May 19, 2009
Tera. A friend is playing right now and i so want to play with him but i cant stand that game its so boring to me.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
Dark Souls. I tried to like it. I really did. My roommate is so heavily into it he's gotten 400 hours of play time, and I'm happy he's into it. I played it through the tutorial, and just, could NOT, give a shit. Another friend of mine was so utterly shocked and appalled by my disinterest, that he bought me the game over Steam, and said I was missing out.
Resident Evil 6... and for the record, 5. Maybe I just got burned out on Resident Evil, or maybe my mind just harkens back to a time when the series had legitimate scares back on its PS1 and PS2 days, or maybe I just miss Claire Redfield, but I just could not give any sort of half a damn about RE6 when I heard about it. Yeah, it resolved the unknown fate of one character, Sherry. We've still got Rebecca, Barry, Carlos and Billy left unaccounted for. As much as I love co-op games, the fact the second character was a locked-in aspect of the game played hell on that sense of isolationism that Silent Hill and Dead Space are known for... speaking of which...
Silent Hill: Homecoming. I loved the first game. It's one of the few PS1 games I still even play. I loved the second game, and the third one, even if their PS3 HD releases were so utterly ghastly. Hell, I loved Silent Hill 0rigins because it tried to retain what made the first few games so great. Silent Hill 4 The Room... I played for all of ten minutes, and just went 'meh,' but Homecoming and its combat felt so... wrong. Silent Hill: Downpour did not improve my opinion on the series even from its reveal trailers. And then there's Silent Hill: Book of Memories. The series and what it stood for is dead now... let it go...

kardar233

Oct 6, 2009
Skyrim. The world felt dull and shallow, and its fantasy world was even more generic than Oblivion's. I didn't encounter any quests that were interesting or fun, overabundance of levelled loot made exploration pointless, and it was way too easy even with the difficulty maximized. Furthermore, the dragon fights, that were the thing I was most excited about in the first place (with personality quirks for each dragon, cool finishing kills and whatnot) ended up being boring and easy.

...and yet I keep seeing people rave on about how the game has amazing immersion and depth and a cool open world. And I keep wondering if maybe they picked up Morrowind instead?

I also discovered an old Total Annihilation disc hidden away. I'd heard amazing things about the game, that it was one of the best if not THE best RTSs ever made, so I installed it. But I didn't get an hour into it before being driven away by the extreme lack of information about the units I was supposed to be using, the terrible pathfinding AI and the lack of the now-basic UI amenities that every RTS since Starcraft has had. Music is still awesome though.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Interesting. A bunch of people mentioning popular games that they don't like without someone else hopping in and jumping down their throats for not liking the same stuff.

Hmm, where is that bucket list laying around? I've got to check off like three things at the same time with this one.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
For some odd reason (Especially being the Silent Hill fan that I am) I could never get into Resident Evil. I'm not talkin' about the new ones that may or may not suck depending on the interpretation, but I mean the original four. Especially 4. And I've wanted to become invested in them SO bad - especially because a friend of mine loves them to death and it bothers me that I can't enjoy a game that he loves as much as I SHOULD (again, especially being a huge Silent Hill fan) but I think if I don't enjoy them now, I probably won't ever get a feel for them
That's not unusual, most SH and RE fans I know despise the other series, for whatever reason. Of course, Silent Hill always felt like playing a good book, there was just something unique about it. However, I never "enjoyed" the game in the normal sense of the word. They're some of my favorite games, but I wouldn't say they were "fun." Resident Evil, on the other hand, is more of a pop culture romp. They're the gaming equivalent to bad B movies that everybody loves. The writing is awful, the controls were awful, but most people just can't help but love them. Kind of like The Evil Dead.

Between the two, there's no doubt Silent Hill is better. It's like the difference between a five star meal and McDonalds. Silent Hill has a fine taste that needs to be savored slowly, but I'm not sure I'd want to eat it every night. Resident Evil, on the other hand, may taste good but it has no nutritional value whatsoever.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Dishonored. Ever since I saw the Bethesda label, I thought it would've been an open-world Steampunk game. Turns out, it wasn't made by Bethesda, it was published by Bethesda.

Okay, the game works really well and Dunwall is absolutely beautiful in its darkness and decadence, but.

But the game is a constant stealth pusher, and games like those bug me and put me on a raging edge whenever I get spotted or take too long.

But the game makes me feel like I'm playing it incorrectly if I don't kill everyone stealthily or with melee kills.

But the game's combat, besides having the absolute best first-person melee combat, is pretty limited and weak despite all of Corvo's powers. A gun, a stealthy crossbow, your blade, grenades, and nothing else. The game needed more choice when it came to killing people, more than just stabbing them in the back or shooting them with a crossbow when you're feeling slow.

But the plot blows.

But the game had that annoying "lone wolf" thing that I similarly don't like of stealth games, where no one is at all a good character, and everyone nice to you is either never seen again or betrays you.

But powers didn't really flow into combat. I wanted them to be like Plasmids/Vigors in Bioshock, but they're hardly combat effective unless you quickly waste all of your available juice on killing two guys when your pittance ranged weapons can kill easier with one upgrade to firing speed.

But a lot of things.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Fox12 said:
For some odd reason (Especially being the Silent Hill fan that I am) I could never get into Resident Evil. I'm not talkin' about the new ones that may or may not suck depending on the interpretation, but I mean the original four. Especially 4. And I've wanted to become invested in them SO bad - especially because a friend of mine loves them to death and it bothers me that I can't enjoy a game that he loves as much as I SHOULD (again, especially being a huge Silent Hill fan) but I think if I don't enjoy them now, I probably won't ever get a feel for them
That's not unusual, most SH and RE fans I know despise the other series, for whatever reason. Of course, Silent Hill always felt like playing a good book, there was just something unique about it. However, I never "enjoyed" the game in the normal sense of the word. They're some of my favorite games, but I wouldn't say they were "fun." Resident Evil, on the other hand, is more of a pop culture romp. They're the gaming equivalent to bad B movies that everybody loves. The writing is awful, the controls were awful, but most people just can't help but love them. Kind of like The Evil Dead.

Between the two, there's no doubt Silent Hill is better. It's like the difference between a five star meal and McDonalds. Silent Hill has a fine taste that needs to be savored slowly, but I'm not sure I'd want to eat it every night. Resident Evil, on the other hand, may taste good but it has no nutritional value whatsoever.
I wonder if the preference goes to whichever is played first? That happens with a lot of things but the two titles are fairly distinct. Resident Evil plays more on things you can see while Silent Hill goes old school with things you can. Then there's Dead Space with a self-winding jack in the box.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
torno said:
The Mass Effect games.
It has everything I could want, the sci-fi genre, a good story with a deep backstory, good combat, but I don't know, it feels like there's something I'm not getting about them.
The same. I don't know why I wasn't drawn in, but I wasn't.

A friend of mine said that they're games that you need to really commit several hours a day to, so maybe that's it. I usually only play games an hour a day.

And I'll add Braid to the list. Hyped up to the rooftops, but despite being impressed by the puzzles, I just couldn't see what was so special about it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Lightknight said:
Fox12 said:

I wonder if the preference goes to whichever is played first? That happens with a lot of things but the two titles are fairly distinct. Resident Evil plays more on things you can see while Silent Hill goes old school with things you can. Then there's Dead Space with a self-winding jack in the box.
Maybe. I've tried to get RE fans into Silent Hill, and they never get far. I like them both for different reasons. Resident Evil has a sort of unintentional humor about it (Jill Sandwich) but that's part of the appeal. It doesn't take itself to seriously. I can play those games for hours, and I really enjoy them, but they aren't scary. I'll usually pop them in during Halloween. Silent Hill, on the other hand, leaves a lasting impact on me. When they're not scary, they're depressing. But they're usually scary. I can't play them for very long at a time though, they leave me sort of drained after a while. Maybe it's more about the type of horror in both. Resident Evil is more of the fun Halloween kind of horror, where the scares are all external. In Silent Hill, the real horror is inside you. It's definitely an acquired taste, I remember hating the beginning of Silent Hill 2 the first time I played it, but I stuck with it and ended up loving it. Now I can play it and appreciate it much more.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Another said:
Monster Hunter :(

I tried to get into both Unite on the PSP and 3 Ultimate on the 3DS, but I just couldn't do it.

On paper it sounded awesome! It takes skill!, craft your weapons!, fight giant monsters! But, I couldn't stand the PSP camera. The 3DS camera was fine, but that's when I discovered that it take ages to be able to kill anything fun. Maybe if I was in high school again and had time on my hands, but between a job and having doing an engineering degree, I just don't have the time.
That game is seriously rough on your time schedule. I play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate quite a bit (about 300 hours now) and it just doesn't work when you've got more important stuff to do.

OT: Bioshock. I really want to like this game. I can't even figure why I don't like it. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the look of the weapons, the plasmids, the concept, the idea behind Rapture. I honestly can't find anything I don't like about this game except for the game itself which is why I have kept trying to get into it ever since it was released.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Usually when I dislike a game, I don't give much of a shit about it. The exception is sequels to franchises I like. There are probably some other exceptions, but I can't think of any.

This is because I HATE HATE HATE to see a good franchise degrade.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the latest example. GOD does this game suck. I really tried to get into it; I love the other three paper marios (and all other mario RPGs) to death. After a few hours, I couldn't get through a play-through without spiritually losing my lunch.

That game just has NO soul at all.

Resetti's_Replicas

Jan 18, 2010
The Zelda series. I've tried with so many different games, but the unclear directions and awkward controls always keep me from getting very far.

The Towel Boy

Nov 16, 2011
Dishonored: Loved it, but just couldn't get invested into it...I plan to beat it someday!

Xcom: One of my all time favorites until I wanted to keep grinding so I could take on the stronger enemies...then some other new game came and distracted me.

Borderlands: Entertains me...yet it doesn't engulf me into it at all.

The new Mario Games (excluding the RPG's): Usually has some humor in it, but is ALWAYS the same story, just different places and mechanics.

All Nintendo brands (excluding Pokémon, classic gems, Super Smash Bros., and Mario RPG's): Just does not interest or absorb me as well as the classics, especially the new Zelda's.

Mass Effect: Just did not interest me.

Assassins Creed (All): Boring, tedious, and not interesting. I at least thought that the 3rd would have some new and exciting twists, plots, or action...but it was all the same.

Saints Row 1-3: Fun, silly, but once you've done one crazy thing, you've literally completed the game, also kinda got boring after a while.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Halo and Call of Duty.

There's no getting around what an elitist douche I'm going to come off as here so I'm just going to jump right in.

Every gaming conversation I've had with most of of my gamer co-workers for the past 3 years has devolved rather quickly into another tired story about how many kills person X got with weapon Y on Map Z and it wears me down to the point where I actually kinda wish I could have the degree of tunnel vision necessary to be content with these dry and unimaginative games.

There's not a single experience I've had playing either of those games in single or multiplayer that I didn't have in high school playing Doom 2.
Points go to the new games for having tighter controls, but at the end of the day I'm still just slogging around shooting enemies that I'm taking it on faith deserve to be on the business end of my boomstick.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

I really want to like them and hell, I'm even a big fan of Obsidian's other work not to mention a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff... and yet I could never really get into either. Fallout 3 outright bores me to the point I've never spent much time with it, and New Vegas despite numerous attempts to get into the game trying not only just the base game but also various mods to improve the experience as well has never been able to catch my attention for long.

It's not because I'm some sort of fallout purist either, I think the idea of a first person rpg set in Fallout's setting is brilliant. It just never worked for me. Maybe it's just because as a fan of the originals I have expectations for the series in regards to freedom of choice and character as well as freedom to explore. Fallout was always about witty dialogue and character options to me. A game that changes and reacts to how I choose to play, not just throwing arbitrary 'moral choice' in my face and asking me to make a decision.

Take that away and frankly I'd rather just play STALKER for the millionth time.