Games You'll Defend 'til You Die

Sallix

Apr 9, 2008
Probably the first Deus Ex game. The voice acting was downright terrible but the game was still pretty awesome in my eyes.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Kingdom Hearts 2!!! If anyone dares insult this game I will personally tear out their soul through their rectum, ... but if they dislike the game (if they just are indifferent i couldn't give a rats A**e) then they probably have no soul. NEW VOW!!! I will tear out their appendix through their ear (left preferably) then bludgen them to death until I do enough brain damage in just the right way that it is an actual improvement so that they like the game.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
god of war (all)
ratchet and clank (all exept first 1 had no strafe)

how about a thread with the game with the worst/most flaws

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
About two weeks ago I challenged someone to back up his claims that the Halo story was completely generic, with no unique or worthwhile qualities, with the promise that I would never again defend Halo on an internet forum as long as I live if he succeeded.
I still await a response.

I don't care for any one thing enough to defend it forever, but I will always remain steadfastly opposed to ignorance.

You_have_a_name

Feb 25, 2009
oblivion, fallout 3 and especially far cry 2 because everyone seems to hate it :(
but rely id defend any game that i like

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
mendokusai said:
Abedeus said:
Only Diablo 2 and Neverwinter Nights. They have little to no flaws.

Every other game has a flaw that I can relate to, but those two - none.
Okay, I'll admit that I'm very ignorant on Diablo 2 as I have only played it a few times, but it seemed to me like the save system was inconvenient, either being unable to save before quitting because I hadn't finished a quest or having to backtrack through somewhat tedious areas due to spawning at the camp upon loading. Am I missing something?

OT: Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, and Goldeneye. As for games that people are more likely to have a big gripe with, probably ES IV: Oblivion.

However, the fact that I defend something does not mean I think the game is by any means perfect.
Yes, you are missing. Quite a few things.

Most importantly - the saving system was one of the best I've ever seen FOR THAT TYPE OF GAME. You kill monsters, then you kill some more, then you do the quest, then kill some more and return to the town. You can always save your character, you can always save your waypoints and always save the quests. Unless you join a multiplayer game when someone else did the quest, but without you in the party. Or in previous games.

But then again, Diablo 2 is too primarly on the Battle.Net.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Qufang said:
Probably the first Deus Ex game. The voice acting was downright terrible but the game was still pretty awesome in my eyes.
Well aren't most of the characters full of cybernetics, so at least that's an excuse for some pretty monotonous dialogue.

For me it's one of those games I'll never play unfortunately, it came out when I was about 6/7 so whenever my Dad let me have a go I didn't have a clue what was going on (I had to ask for his help to get past that bi-pedal robot at the end of the training!)

He's still got it but I can't really be bothered to get it to work on Vista and on a widescreen monitor - there's also the problem that the graphics weren't exactly state of the art when they came out so they're too crude to ignore. A shame because I can appreciate that it is a classic.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Laura. said:
Far Cry 2! D:
Poor game, everyone hates it so much :(
It one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

The rest of the games I like can defend themselves...
I understand what you mean, I got the game for christmas and loved every second of it. I then played it a second time as a different character, and then started getting bored of it. I don't know why. Must be all the travelling. Yeah probably that. I hate it when the game leaves you stranded.

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
Mr Companion said:
AkJay said:
Any game by Valve (<= Fanboy), Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge.
What about episode one? I am a valve fan boy too but episode one was downright dull. Research and Development mod is actually far more fun that it. Even Minerva came close to been more interesting, and I compare it to a mod because that is how well made it was. Slightly worse in fact, at least mods don't break down on my computer upon playing every five bloody seconds(I own a better computer that can play it now but still). You spend the entirety of Ep1 running from the citadel with absolutely no plot advancement aside from obtaining a package that only becomes relevant in Ep2. In fact episode 2 is, albeit very short, the best of the series. While episode one can easily be skipped.
I disagree because most Valve games are about getting to some were, like in Half Life 1 when your in the underground tube things on at tram rail trying to get some were, infact, most of the game is takes place there, and in Half Life 2 when you are trying to get to Black Meza East or to Nova Prospect. You spend most of the game just going some were. The Half Life games are just like one big road trip. If you don't like that kind of thing then you like don't like any of the Half Life games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Connor Lonske said:
Mr Companion said:
AkJay said:
What about episode one? I am a valve fan boy too but episode one was downright dull. Research and Development mod is actually far more fun that it. Even Minerva came close to been more interesting, and I compare it to a mod because that is how well made it was. Slightly worse in fact, at least mods don't break down on my computer upon playing every five bloody seconds(I own a better computer that can play it now but still). You spend the entirety of Ep1 running from the citadel with absolutely no plot advancement aside from obtaining a package that only becomes relevant in Ep2. In fact episode 2 is, albeit very short, the best of the series. While episode one can easily be skipped.
I disagree because most Valve games are about getting to some were, like in Half Life 1 when your in the underground tube things on at tram rail trying to get some were, infact, most of the game is takes place there, and in Half Life 2 when you are trying to get to Black Meza East or to Nova Prospect. You spend most of the game just going some were. The Half Life games are just like one big road trip. If you don't like that kind of thing then you like don't like any of the Half Life games.

I think you're half right about trying to get some where in the games, I haven't played HL1 but I know that most of it takes place within Black Mesa so you're in the same location, so I'd imagine it's not the same feeling as HL2 + Episodes.

HL2 + Episodes are very good at giving you that sense of urgency, and you feel like it's important for you to get some where else. They also have the best pacing I think I've ever faced in a game; just when you can't take any more, it throws more at you, and then you'll suddenly encounter some rebels for literally a minute whilst you restock before you're send on your way again. Valve may live in a different time zone to everyone else but they know how to make a bloody fantastic game.

infinisynth

The man
Jul 31, 2009
Abedeus said:
Only Diablo 2 and Neverwinter Nights. They have little to no flaws.

Every other game has a flaw that I can relate to, but those two - none.
Yeah that and also Fallout 3 and Final Fantasy III and VII

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Dead Space.

The former was a beautiful and well-crafted Gamecube RPG that NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has heard of, yet had a plot that every Gamecube RPG fan has to check out. You can find it, and Baten Kaitos Origins, on the bargain shelf in the Gamecube section of your local game store. If there are any Wii fans out there that like RPGs, I urge you, give the Baten Kaitos series a try.

And as for the latter, Dead Space was an incredibly creepy and well-done game that was basically System Shock 2, Resident Evil 4, and Event Horizon in a blender, and had hideously deformed enemies as well as gorgeous visuals. Even if you don't personally like it, I'll defend Dead Space- and the Baten Kaitos series- 'till I die.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
For me it'll probably have to be Mas Effect, the Half Life series, CoD4, BioShock and oddly enough Perfect Dark Zero. (hey, I had fun w/ it, and I have loads of fun playing it w/ my older brother.)

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I would defend Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, and Abe's Exoddus with my life. Fortunately I've never needed to.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Connor Lonske said:
Mr Companion said:
AkJay said:
Well it is good to see you have entirely misinterpreted my comment. I am fairly sure I never said I disliked travelling in all games and instantly disregard them as dull and meaningless aspects of a game.. I found that travelling in half life 2 was good because it was usually with some worthy aim in mind that would be completed by the end of the chapter. In episode one there is only one looming objective that is less a meaningful than most mini objectives in half life 2. I mean, it is meaningful, but it doesn?t feel necessary to the overall plot. If the combine train worked correctly then they could have easily avoided the entire episode.

I would be fine with this if it created an excuse to implement some interesting urban combat scenarios or provide content that valve couldn?t include in hl2. But there was a distinct lack of interesting content in this episode. In half life 2 all the chapters introduced a new form of terrain with likely new puzzles, combat or weapons to explore. Or at least a change in scenery. In ep1 you merely revisit the same location in a mildly different layout.

Anyway I really cannot understand where you got the impression that I dislike travelling in video games and then other people have also seen your comment on my comment and agreed with you as if to say ?Yeh that guy who didn?t rag on travelling in games is such a twat for ragging on travelling in games im with you bro!? Its very odd. Oh and also I really dident like half life one. It was very repetative and silly. I hope that dosent offend you or something...