Games You'll Defend 'til You Die

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Kermi said:
About two weeks ago I challenged someone to back up his claims that the Halo story was completely generic, with no unique or worthwhile qualities, with the promise that I would never again defend Halo on an internet forum as long as I live if he succeeded.
I still await a response.

I don't care for any one thing enough to defend it forever, but I will always remain steadfastly opposed to ignorance.
I have been a fan of the halo universe since the time when it was going to be a mac based RTS (not that I would consider ever owning a mac of course)

I definitely found the game, story and general tone of the whole thing to be downright amazing, giving the player a much greater connection with the characters than games like half life (which though I have completed all of them I still dont enjoy as much as halo) as the characters are rather uninteresting and the protagonist is an unknown character with no actual story further than his MIT education and being chosen by the G Man, this is not to say that I do not enjoy the gameplay of half life, but I do require some sort of motivation to play, and master chiefs story gives just that

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
KOTOR 2, how the hell can anyone say that it is a failure to the first KOTOR? Besides the faulty plot, EVERYTHING in the game is superior to the first KOTOR, such as more useful feats and force powers, better graphics, and other cool mechanics such as creating upgrade parts and Prestige classes.

Halo 3, don't care what anybody says, it a great sequel with a excellent online co-op campaign and a flawless multiplayer. Also Halo 1 ad 2 were just as excellent.

Resident Evil 2, don't care how many people kiss RE 4's ass, RE 2 was far more fun for me and I never got tired of beating the game over and over again.

LoZ: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64, obvious reasons.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SantoUno said:
KOTOR 2, how the hell can anyone say that it is a failure to the first KOTOR? Besides the faulty plot, EVERYTHING in the game is superior to the first KOTOR, such as more useful feats and force powers, better graphics, and other cool mechanics such as creating upgrade parts and Prestige classes.
Must...resist...!

I think the less we say to each other the better.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
high_castle said:
Baldur's Gate. Not that many people bash it, but I've heard a few younger gamers who got into it well after playing games like Morrowind, Mass Effect, and KOTOR. They don't like the primitive graphics and turn-based combat, but the game was cutting edge in its day. And there's a reason it still has an active modding community 11 years later.
Brother!

BG1 and its successors are such wonderful games..

Sydi

Sep 18, 2008
I'll defend any game that is being unfairly criticised. However, I will also defend these games unconditionally:

Perfect Dark
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Dragon Force
Guardian Heroes
Any of the Shining series of the Saturn era or earlier
Shenmue
Beneath a Steel Sky

I will, however, bash things that people constantly view through rose-tinted spectacles. I'm looking at you, Halo and FFVII.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Dead Space.

The former was a beautiful and well-crafted Gamecube RPG that NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has heard of, yet had a plot that every Gamecube RPG fan has to check out. You can find it, and Baten Kaitos Origins, on the bargain shelf in the Gamecube section of your local game store. If there are any Wii fans out there that like RPGs, I urge you, give the Baten Kaitos series a try.
I loved Baten Kaitos on the GC. I still think it has the best turn-based combat system ever. Too bad that I never found Origins. I think they didn't even release it in the PAL regions. It also has one of the best twists in gaming history.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
games,not so much.

now sumo wrestling,I will defend.

maybe I'll defend your right to defend games,does that count?

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
I will defend certain Zelda titles, such as OoT and MM till I die. Other not so much (hint: i thought Wind Waker was pretty awful)

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Le_Lisra said:
high_castle said:
Baldur's Gate. Not that many people bash it, but I've heard a few younger gamers who got into it well after playing games like Morrowind, Mass Effect, and KOTOR. They don't like the primitive graphics and turn-based combat, but the game was cutting edge in its day. And there's a reason it still has an active modding community 11 years later.
Brother!

Well, technically "sister," but yes, my sentiments exactly. :p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
games,not so much.

now sumo wrestling,I will defend.

maybe I'll defend your right to defend games,does that count?
I suppose it's good enough.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
high_castle said:
Le_Lisra said:
high_castle said:
Brother!

Well, technically "sister," but yes, my sentiments exactly. :p
Ah, well. At some point in my internet life I've given up on checking that. But even better, yet another one for the circle of emale Baldurs Gate players I've encountered.

Steel Ronin

Apr 14, 2009
Thief II because people in Bulgaria think that Thief 3 is a better game I guess it's because 90% of the population are idiots and the other 10% are Turks.Also it's a fuckin stupid country where games are for 200$ but I reffer to it as having the nicest beaches,mountains,clear sky,locations to live in,etc compansation thing.That's why the next games are Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft.Also Thief 3 to it's not that bad and I didn't like that stempunk atmosphere that much so going in to a castle and looting the place is a step forward and HAWX,Monkey Island 1 and 2,Portal,Bully and Red Alert 3.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Skratt said:
Laura. said:
Far Cry 2! D:
Poor game, everyone hates it so much :(
It one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

The rest of the games I like can defend themselves...

Wow! That game has a fan? Should I be impressed or afraid?
Blimey, I didn't realise trolls could simulate emotion now.

OT: Morrowind. Because it's pure gold.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I'll probably defend the KOTOR series forever, same with Timesplitters ("You have no jump button? Is that a problem, pansy?"), and I will hold up the first two Guitar Hero games for their achievements. I'll also always prefer Dead or Alive style fighting games over Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Laura. said:
Far Cry 2! D:

Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one that liked it :p

On topic, probably Oblivion and/or Mass Effect.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
G1eet said:
Laura. said:
Far Cry 2! D:

Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one that liked it :p

On topic, probably Oblivion and/or Mass Effect.
Haha, there's been at least one person on every page that has said virtually the same line of 'Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one that liked it :p' . More people liked it then you all think!

Don't worry, I'll let you have 2 games (I did after all).