Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
I'll admit it, I laughed. It's not sexist, despite how it appears to be on first look. What we have here is a vaguely worded ad left open to interpretation. I think what they were going for is "Girlfriends are expensive", not "Women are cheap".

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
LiquidGrape said:
Kenko said:
It's not sexist. It doesnt imply that women are cheap. Talk about missing the point OP. It means that women are expensive and the game is cheap. *Facepalms*
No, it's saying that this (allegedly) low price has rendered the game cheaper than your (allegedly) already cheap girlfriend.
It's quite offensive, make no mistake.
I second this as to how this should be interpretted. Why would Gamestation be trying to say "this game is really expensive, like girlfriends"? It wouldn't make sense financially, unless Gamestations sales directive is now to make people feel good about their taste in partners. I doubt it.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
If I saw that poster I would laugh, and it would be more memorable than the thousands of other adverts I see every day, so there you go successful advertising. Yes OK it could be offensive, but I find the 'Go Compare' guy offensive and he gets away with it.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Pretty sure that they meant girlfriends are expensive, and from what I hear, that's extremely true. Reading between the lines doesn't work if you actually don't read the lines themselves. She probably would have been offended if it even mentioned guys play games, the way she jumped off like that.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The amount of fools on this site that seem to enjoy gamings neanderthalic attitude towards advertising and women will make the Extra Credits bunch cry.

I think the advert is shit, the shop itself is shit, and the people who are moaning about "the pc brigade" or whatever, are even shitter still

standokan

May 28, 2009
The difference between games and girlfriends is that I mind when games suck but I don´t mind when girlfriends... bad jokes aside, imagine what FOX could´ve done with this.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Cheaper than a date, certainly. But, better than the feeling of being on a date? Nope. Not by a long shot. Especially since it's Blops...

Soylent Bacon said:
I'm not even offended. It's a stupid joke, trying to sound "cool" by making a mean joke, and only coming off as childish. It might as well have been a "your mom" joke.
Visceral already did that with their Dead Space 2 advertising.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
Chibz said:
It's actually kinda funny, even to me.

Of course, the whiner brigade shows up and tries to ruin everyone's fun.

God I hate our species.
Yeah, sexism is fun right!

Urg....
Honestly, it's not like the ad is saying "Women are a lesser species!" It's just banter. People really do not need to lose their shit over this.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
It was a joke. This female employee acts as though she or any other member of her gender has never made a sexist joke towards men. Get over yourself. It was funny. Laugh. Move on.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ugh I thought the industry was past the whole 'most of you are mens so we will be sexist as much as we like HERP DERP' guess not.

I guess nobody ever says to them 'so if your majority is white you will put up rascist posters?' becuase it's exactly the same thing. Exclusion based on how someone is born.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
[blockquote] But Neil Ashurst, the head of public relations at Game, which bought out Gamestation in 2007, said the ad may be edgy but simply reflects the realities of gamer demographics. "We welcome everyone into our stores and the Gamestation brand reflects its customer base which is still predominantly the traditional core male gamer," he explained. "Our marketing and in-store POS does, and will continue to, appeal to that audience. Throughout its existence, Gamestation has always been slightly edgy and occasionally controversial. Our customers love this about us."[/blockquote]

I'm sorry, but someone fire this ************ immediately. As in, NOW. Before he deals any more damage to the medium. "Traditional Core Male Gamer", my ass.

YOUR fucking advertisement reflects the realities that you and your PR department have the brains of a bunch of ADD-Addled pubescent shits on Xbox Live. YOUR advertisment reflects the realities of a demographic that means jackshit in a time where the word "Gamer" means FUCK ALL. And it means even LESS when you apply genders. I can only assume that this "Traditional Core Male Gamer" is more than enough proof that Neil Ashurst has never EVER known the touch of a woman.

How about an idea, Gamestation? Fire this sexist pig-headed fuckstick and his entire retard department, and forge a brand new image with a new PR department that attracts both male and female gamers of all ages. Yes, this will yield higher profits and will move our industry forward in an unprecedented way. Idiots like Neil are moving us backward.
Female gamers are still a growing minority, monetarily wise it doesn't pay to factor them into advertising. They're a niche audience that will play what they play regardless.

It's like trying to fight the WWE for making their product now aimed at children. Companies go were the money goes.

Sides poster is rather subjective, one could just as easily make the assumption that they're advertising to the core audience and lesbians. *shrugs* I thought it be something overtly sexist like a Duke Nukem ad.

RazzleDazzle102

Mar 14, 2011
captainfluoxetine said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
I prefer GAME, although I'm aware they are the same company.
REALLY?!

Ive never been in two more opposite stores. Every gamestation ive been in the staff always seem cool, willing to chat, into their games, not too pushy. When I walk into GAME a member of staff normally jumps out from behind a display stand and screams "BUY SOMETHING!!!" at me.
Gametrolls haha

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
Chibz said:
It's actually kinda funny, even to me.

Of course, the whiner brigade shows up and tries to ruin everyone's fun.

God I hate our species.
Yeah, sexism is fun right!

Urg....
Well... Yes.. Yes it is! Very funny indeed! Right up there with racism and terrorist!

... If you dont detect any sarcasm right here is because there is none, I really honestly find these subjects hilarious... Under the right circumstances, as in this case.