Gaming plot holes

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Frozengale said:
Mass Effect 1 - Why didn't Saren just take the Beacon with him? Or better yet why didn't he just blow it up? This is one of the most confusing parts about the series to me. It makes no sense.
He did intend to blow it up, but you disarm the bombs before he can. As for why he didn't take it with him, I can only assume he wanted the search teams to find the blown up pieces and assume that it was destroyed before it could be activated, though that's just speculation on my part.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Innocent Flower said:
A hundred dragon souls, visited countless word walls filled with libraries of information , Palls with greybeards: shouts are still weak as piss and can't be used often. Meanwhile there's a book about nords shouting forts down.
Dragon souls only give you the knowledge of the Word of Power, which allows you to channel it into a Thu'um. What they don't do, is make you an expert at channeling Thu'um immediately. The Greybeards, however, have spent their lives learning how to channel the Thu'um. Of course you'll be weak as hell in comparison.
As for the Nords shouting down forts; the Greybeards make buildings tremble by talking. Putting that amount of power into, for example, Fus Ro Dah, would probably bring down a fort. But, again, these people have been training for years. You have been doing it for weeks.

Elow616

May 18, 2010
Frozengale said:
Mass Effect 1 - Why didn't Saren just take the Beacon with him? Or better yet why didn't he just blow it up? This is one of the most confusing parts about the series to me. It makes no sense.
Because, if you use the paragon option to talk to him on Vermire, he sees through the indoctrination with Shepard's help. He also joined the Reapers because he thought he could convince them to spare the Galaxy. After the vision he could have seen what was going to happen but couldn't shake his indoctrination. He decided to leave the beacon in case someone came across it and stopped him. That person being Shepard.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
Here's one that really bugged me: If Commander Shephard really wanted to convince the Council of the massive reaper threat then why didn't he just film the many, many times he came in contact with the reapers? A lot of Mass Effect 3 wouldn't have happened if, near the end of ME2, Shephard of one of his crew took out a video camera when they found evidence of the reapers returning.
I was under the impression that they did believe him, but that they just didn't want to believe him. They didn't act out of ignorance, but more out of fear. That is why they didn't actually have him locked away (technically) and turned to him when it became apparent what was happening.

OT: Sticking to Mass Effect, why in the new dlc don't they just change Shepard's hand print before leaving the vault again? Seriously, if Clone Shep could do it so easily, why didn't Shepard fix it again?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Every game in which the Umbrella Corporation plans to make a buck out of turning everybody into zombies has yet to get around the 'profit' plot hole.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Darren716 said:
-The Russians would have to fly over Europe to get to America. Why didn't any countries see the planes and warn America?
Uh... the world is round, man.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Wow, second page and still not a single person has brought up an actual Plot-hole.

That's got to be some sort of record...

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Korten12 said:
Revenge. Plan and simple. He blamed Humanity for bringing the flood to their shores and believed them to be a parisite against the galaxy. The Didact wished to stop Humanity from gaining back their level of technology so that they couldn't take over the galaxy.

As for all the Forerunners being dead. That isn't actually confirmed yet. There were many shield worlds across the galaxy. For all we know there could be one with hundreds of thousands.
Yeah I know, I was just bitching in question form XD

I liked Halo 4, but I thought the story seemed a bit lame in comparison to all the other games. The main point of everything is basically Didact's a dick who wants revenge. The motivations of the covenant in the other games was political intrigue and misunderstanding of the Flood Forerunner war events. The motivations for the flood was an overpowering animalistic hunger. The evil behind them was clear but more nuanced than "revenge"

Besides I don't get what he was revenging against anyway. Humanity pushed the flood out of the galaxy before the human forerunner war ended in their defeat, then there were thousands of years between that and the rediscovery of the flood near the edge of the galaxy. Why did Didact blame that on humanity? That one was all on the forerunners.

I don't know it just seems like the motivations that drive the plot in Halo 4 are less believable than the other games.
um humanity, or ancient humans did not push the flood out of the galaxy, and in either halo 4 plot the flood was following humanity for food or the plot before halo 4 came out that the flood randomly appeared in milky way, possiblely from another galaxy. In either case the forunners couldn't handle the flood, in halo 4 they were weaken by the conflict with the ancient humans, or were just plain unable to deal with them with anything short of mass geonicde in the story before halo 4.

So in a sense the Didact has a point with humanity leading the Flood to the Milky Way, as well as engaging with a war for what no reason really. Petty good reason to be hostile to a species that openly attacked you without good cause and lead another hostile life form to you. Though that is in the halo 4 plot, before that yea he would have little reason to hostile to humanity.

Lucky Godzilla said:
Not so much a plot hole, but still terrible writing. The topic in question? Halo 4.

The problem is the Diadect and his motivations in general. The flood is defeated, the forerunners are practically extinct, humanity has not shown any undue aggression to him, yet he immediately hops back on the genocide bandwagon. It's like if FDR came back to life and ordered an invasion of Germany because they were our enemies in WWII, it's stupid.

Remember, these aren't even the same humans he fought thousands of years ago. According to one of the terminals, you know those sources of crucial information regarding motivation and backstory that are intentionally hidden from the player, the original humans he fought were effectively reduced to cavemen. Yet we are supposed to swallow that his asinine grudge provides sufficient motivation for mass genocide.

Furthermore, if the composer is effectively a gigantic death laser of doom that instantly dissolves biological matter, why wouldn't it work on the flood? And since we are on the topic of the composer,
why did the Diadect need a constant supply of humans to create Promethians? Did they not have hard drives or anything, no way to, I don't know, STORE data? I mean, look at the Prometheans, they aren't made biological material, so you obviously don't need a fresh supply of human.
On a side note,
does anyone find the ending where Cortana "shields" Chief illogical. He was right on top of the goddamn nuke, had she shielded him like she did, it would only serve to contain the blast in that immediate area, leaving the composer intact and reducing cheif to ash.
The Diadect has a reason to be hostile to humanity, if you follow the halo 4 plot in place of the plot beforehand, humanity openly attacked the forunners, for no reason what so ever, and then after humanity was defeated the forunners were weaken and unable to deal with the flood that followed humanity and had to resort to mass geonicde.

Also it seems that the Diadect was in a state of suspended animation and was awaken in halo 4, and probley put in that state before the halos were unleashed, so when he awakes, he does not know how much time has pass or if the halos did work, though since he never mentions the flood, only others do...

on the mass genocide the composer does not kill, it only convert bioloical life to digital life, but it does kill them in the way that life can not really be turned back into it original form, and its digitized states fragments, there still alive, just in a state of brokeness, you may have a point there...

I think the composer would not be used on the flood since they could become some sort of virus still in digital form and spread in a even worse state for technology advance races. The flood taking over bioloical forms is bad enough, but if they could take over technology if turned into digital forms is freaking scarey.

um for your last point, about Cortana shielding him I think you may have some info wrong, leave the composer intact and contain the blast in the immediate area? The Chief is not that big, the shiled would only need to be about 10x5x5 or so, so small but can be rather thick, though as to how she can do the shielding, since she appears from the hardlight bridge, she can tape the forunner tech to crate a strong enough shield to protect him, she is a A.I. that has had been many advance consoles, she has learned how to tape into forunner tech easily I think. Though as to why the composer is in a milllion little pieces without any big ones that were the section further from the blast is odd to me...

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
natster43 said:
Resident Evil 6:
How after falling several miles down different mine shafts, catacombs and ruins, do Leon and Helena end up falling into a lake or ocean or whatever that is not underground?
Why doesn't the one dude for Homeland Security or whatever he is in just make a apb or whatever for Leon since he is believed to have killed the President?
How does Leon talk to the one chick from 4 on a secure line when she is in a room full of people trying to find where Leon is and arrest him?
How are there zombies in the caves under the lab? The zombie thing had only recently started, and I highly doubt there had been may people in the mines/catacombs that were alive/not just skeletons to get infected.
Why does the C virus do everything that every other virus in the series does?
Why did the zombies wearing chain mail also have sticks of TNT strapped to their chest?
What about the zombie thing you push out of the plane? Those things release a gas that makes more zombies when they die and you just dropped it into a city full of people.
Believe it or not I can give rational answers for most of these:
1) Rising water table/underground river, which (by a stretch, I admit) could allow a bull shark or other type of shark that can move into fresh water to travel into the catacombs, eat infected corpse and then be infected.

2) Simmons does put an APB out on both Leon and Helena. If it isn't mentioned directly, it is heavily implied. Now that doesn't explain how they could get on a plane heading out of the country though.

3) People are stupid? This one I have no answer for.

4) Seeing as the The Family's lab is connected directly to the catacombs and therefore the caves, it could have been something as simple as an accidental release of the virus(es), or a purposeful release. This was a lab run by a secret organization after all.

5) During the Tall Oaks section of the game, that isn't actually the C-Virus, its the T-Virus, or some other slight mutation. As for the C-Virus outbreak in China, I kinda viewed it as a G-Virus/Las Plagas crossbreed.

6) Again no answer, unless it deals with the purposeful leak of the Virus from the Lab as a security measure.

7) It was dead, or it hit water. China's population is heavily on the Coast and even if it did hit the ground in the populated section, the virus had already started to spread so it couldn't due that much more damage.

As for the original post.....How does Esthar lose the fucking huge ass Ragnarok!

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
Wow, second page and still not a single person has brought up an actual Plot-hole.

That's got to be some sort of record...
Though you make a fair point, because most people often jump onto characters making stupid decisions when they could have made better ones as "plot-holes", I don't think you are entirely right. A plot hole is when one piece of information clashes and is contradicted by an earlier given piece of information, which is still said to hold true.
From the first page, I can't seem to argue against this dude's point.

Malkav said:
Not much of a plothole, but you see it all the time. Especially in Skyrim.

You're entering a dungeon that has been sealed off for centuries. It's clearly evident by all the seals that you're the first adventurer for a long time who enters here.
But somehow, EVERY dungeon is brightly lit by candles and torches. Fresh ones.

Of course, it's a mistake to think for a single second how this makes no sense. It's done so you don't have to carry a torch for 50% of the game. But there's one quest that makes it impossible to not notice this.
You're in a secret part of a castle that hasn't been entered by anyone for centuries, with the possible exception of one person you hope to find here. Again, you find the place brightly lit, fresh blood, partially lived in. You're looking for clues like these, because you want to know wheter that person is still here. Spoiler alert, he/she hasn't been around for another lifetime.
I mean, it literally is a contradiction. How could these torches have been lit and this place freshly lived in if no-one has been down this secret castle area for over a lifetime, because only one person knows and goes into this place and he hasn't been there for ages.

Though I don't recognize this questline from skyrim, (So I could be missing information, like he really is there or someone else has recently been looking for him just before you) it seems legit to me.

Or i'm ill-defining a plot-hole. I mean, I guess it doesn't "ruin" the plot, but it is a hole that has not been covered up with anything other than "because it is a game and it is convenient for there to be light"

Dec 10, 2012
Rastrelly said:
ME1:
- Why did Sovereign need the Conduit? Saren could get to the Citadel while still being a legal Spectre with ease and the one who would need the Conduit is Shepard.

ME2:
- Why there was no research and/or military outpost near Omega relay? Just imagine: near a distant village there is a car tunnel. Any car or man that got into it never returned. How do you think, would it be guarded and researched?

ME3:
- WHY????!!!! Seriously: if you'll think a bit, EVERYTHING you point at in this game makes no sense.
1) Sovereign didn't know what the Conduit was. All he knew was that his signal to the keepers didn't work and the reaper fleet didn't appear to wipe out the Citadel. Sovereign probably spent centuries trying to figure out what went wrong. By the time anyone knew what the Conduit was, Saren had already been ejected from the Spectres and had no way onto the Citadel except the Conduit.

2) The Omega 4 relay is in the Terminus systems. It is in the same star system as the Omega space station, a truly wretched hive of scum and villiany. Anyone from Citadel Space trying to research the relay would have about 24 hours before being extorted by the Blue Suns or Eclipse mercenaries. Not to mention Aria, and what she would do with any information found about the relay. And don't ever suggest that the Council could just send a military force to pacify Omega and take the relay, because that is precisely what they flat-out refuse to do in ME1 when Shepard wants them to send a fleet into the Traverse, for fear of causing a pointless war with the Terminus systems.

3) A bold claim. I will admit it has more problems than the other games in terms of plot plausibility, but you can't tell me nothing about it made sense.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Just finished StarCraft II and can't discern for the life of me why Raynor and Tychus didn't have a good talk about that thing that caused unnecessary drama at the end.

Raynor should've talked to Tychus as soon as he found out he's "got a gun to his head".
Tychus should've talked to Raynor as soon as it was clear he held all the strings in his hands - everything depended on him, surely he could've demanded to let Tychus go. From what I've heard from the expansion the Prince preferred experimenting on a live Kerrigan anyway, so why'd he push Moebis in the first place? Heck, Raynor saved Moebius' ass personally in one mission, surely he could've made a deal there.

You could make some argument about their relationship becoming increasingly strained, but the whole reason behind that is this stupid situation, so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
Chaosritter said:
Shocksplicer said:

Happy now?
I came here to post something....but now i can't remember.... and...i just....so much wrong...

*several pills later

OT
not necessarily a plot hole, but why do they never send captain blue hair in final fantasy x when they know he's dead? And why in the name of all that is good didn't they do it when they realized that he'll just keep coming back?!?!?!

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
In the original version of Metal Gear Solid, the scene where the Cyborg Ninja leaves you to cross a bloody trail of guard corpses, his katana is left on the wall but still used in the ensuing battle. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes remedies this by showing him take the sword as he leaves.

In Final Fantasy X Seymoure leaves Kimahri as the "last of his tribe"... except for the still matchable Ronso Blitzball team.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
This is a thread to discuss the many plot holes that videogames have.

Here's one that really bugged me: If Commander Shephard really wanted to convince the Council of the massive reaper threat then why didn't he just film the many, many times he came in contact with the reapers? A lot of Mass Effect 3 wouldn't have happened if, near the end of ME2, Shephard of one of his crew took out a video camera when they found evidence of the reapers returning.
I can answer that. The Council already had physical evidence and experience with Reapers and convinced themselves the Reapers were of Geth origin. So even if Shep did take them a video of the Collectors and the Human Reaper they would probably say it's Geth. (Also, that's not a plot hole, it's just something that they never did)

Zetsubou-Sama said:
Asari can read minds with their whole mumbo jumbo mental link, the council has an Asari. She didn't even thought of checking Shepard's mind like say Liara.
It's generally accepted that the Council are terrified of the truth, and prefered to believe that the Reapers were just Geth constructs, thus she wouldn't want to. Also, the vision that Shepard had could always be a fabrication, so she has many reasons not to meld minds with Shep. (Same as above, your question is a question of why they didn't do something, not a plot hole)

natster43 said:
Resident Evil 6:
How does Leon talk to the one chick from 4 on a secure line when she is in a room full of people trying to find where Leon is and arrest him?
How are there zombies in the caves under the lab? The zombie thing had only recently started, and I highly doubt there had been may people in the mines/catacombs that were alive/not just skeletons to get infected.
Why does the C virus do everything that every other virus in the series does?
What about the zombie thing you push out of the plane? Those things release a gas that makes more zombies when they die and you just dropped it into a city full of people.
The chick from RE4 was wearing a head set, and the bunch of people in her office are already hard at work with their own crap. I doubt they had time to listen in to her conversation.
I think there's some evidence that suggests that the "Zombies under the church" project had been in progress since the start of 2012, that's why there's a bunch of them down stairs. As for the amount of people, it's HIGHLY sugested that they just take people against their will (just look at Helena and what happened to her sister. She didn't look as though she signed up).
The C virus is similar to the other viruses but causes different mutations.
You have to remember that when you push the gas monster out the window it's quite high up, by the time it hit the ground I doubt it would be anymore than a puddle. Also, there are plenty of rooftops that it could fall on, thus negating the likely hood of it hitting an area filled with people.
(Like the previous 2, many of your questions are more questions than plot holes. You do have some that count as a plot hole such as the medival armour TNT zombies, but many of your 'plot holes' are not in fact plot holes)
Innocent Flower said:
Skyrim:

A hundred dragon souls, visited countless word walls filled with libraries of information , Palls with greybeards: shouts are still weak as piss and can't be used often. Meanwhile there's a book about nords shouting forts down.
If you haven't figured it out already, the Nords like to add imbellishments to their stories. They're uber patriotic and like to make themselves appear as the strongest race of all. Also, it's a game mechanic, and you're technically only the Dragonborn for a year at max once Alduin is killed, so it's not as though you've been doing it for a long time.
Frozengale said:
That's not a plot hole. And if you remember, Saren was getting the Geth to place bombs around the beacon. He got what he wanted from it and didn't want to risk anyone else getting it. As for why not just taking it with him, the beacon is pretty large and would be difficult to fit in one ship.
Rastrelly said:
ME1:
- Why did Sovereign need the Conduit? Saren could get to the Citadel while still being a legal Spectre with ease and the one who would need the Conduit is Shepard.

ME2:
- Why there was no research and/or military outpost near Omega relay? Just imagine: near a distant village there is a car tunnel. Any car or man that got into it never returned. How do you think, would it be guarded and researched?

ME3:
- WHY????!!!! Seriously: if you'll think a bit, EVERYTHING you point at in this game makes no sense.
Because you proove Saren has gone wrong in the first 2 hours of the 30 hour game, he can't walk on the Citadel as a 'regular spectre' anymore without being arrested.

As far as the council is aware, the Omega relay is no threat and would be a waste of resources sending ships there to guard the relay.

Give a reason for ME3, so far I have seen one legitamate plot hole for ME3, and the rest has just been angry fan boys trying to make people think the game is bad when it really isn't.
(Also, your 'plot holes' for ME1 and ME2 are not plot holes)

To the other people here who realise that most of these aren't plot holes and are actually people who just have questions about stuff that didn't get answered because it would be done so in blatant exposition, why don't we make a thread that is just titled "Questions about certain games". This way people who have no idea of what a plot hole is will stop filling up plot hole threads. I will make the thread if someone tells me how to make threads.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:

It wouldn't have mattered though. The council visually saw a live reaper and its damaged pieces inside their facility yet they wouldn't accept that it was anything other than a geth. I mean what's more believable, the mechanical creations known as the geth that are known to exist, something which no one clearly knows what they look like in this present age or some legend come alive? The reapers are a myth, their existence is barely known about.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Pohaturon said:
Darren716 said:
-The Russians would have to fly over Europe to get to America. Why didn't any countries see the planes and warn America?
Dude, you just went full retard.
Don't ever go full retard.
go look at a world map. Seriously, look at it.
I can't breathe from laughing right now.
Woodsey said:
Darren716 said:
Uh... the world is round, man.
Actually in the game they show the path the Russians take and it's right over Europe (if memory serves me right)

ardias014

Aug 31, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:

Well seeing as how the citadel was destroyed by a reaper and they didn't acknowledge that, I don't think the council would hold video feed as solid evidence.

Frozengale said:
He was going to do one of the two that is why the explosives were planted and why the geth were still defending it.

OT: In Saints Row 3, why am I the only one capable of driving to an airport or rescuing my friends from a statue. I thought the whole point of having a gang was so I didn't have to do everything.

Also khornate psychics in DoW.

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
Metroid Prime has a rather unfortunate one in the Space Pirate logs. Essentially, it is firmly established the Space Pirates cannot enter the Chozo's Cradle on Tallon IV, a prison made to house the meteor's Impact Crater and source of Phazon corruption. Meanwhile, in another log, some Space Pirate miners find a bizarre Metroid-like life form, nicknamed Metroid Prime. The Space Pirates try to control Prime with weapons, but Prime absorbs the weapons and eventually escapes... Into Impact Crater, inside the Chozo's still not broken Cradle. Even worse, it's implied that Metroid Prime is the source of Tallon IV's Phazon, so it managed to escape the Cradle and later get back in, even though the entire point of the Cradle was to contain it.

To get around the whole plot hole, the later versions of the game removed the bits about Metroid Prime in the Space Pirates' control, but that just brings up new questions like "How did this alien get access to advanced gas bombs, tractor beams, and missile launchers if all it was doing was sitting in a cave for dozens of years?"

Still one of my favorite games of all time.