Gay Oreo Inspires Internet Outrage

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
the saddest part about this is that oero's is never going to sell that delicious looking thing.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
the saddest part about this is that oero's is never going to sell that delicious looking thing.
THIS. I want to eat it now :(

I've met a lot of people who have reasons for being anti-homosexual who are well-read, intelligent, and support their points
Actually, that's illogical - if you are well-read, you do not have reasons for being anti-homosexual, because these do not exist. Instead, you know these "reasons" are religious propaganda by a subset of christianity that is using prejudice as a vehicle to remain relevant.

but just because they harmlessly
Driving gay people into suicide by campaigns of harassment (including people like Sofie M. Herold that collected addresses of gay people with the expressed intention to threaten them IRL), stirring up violence against gay people, and trying to make laws criminalizing homosexuality (Rep. Party, Texas, Montana) are not "harmless".

The reason that you seem to think that anti-homosexual people "are harmless" and "support their points" is because you are evidently completely ignorant about the subject and are, instead, drowning in prejudice.

By the way: Intelligence has little to do with not being a horrible person. Most genocides were prepared by very intelligent people, who simply lacked critical thinking and never questioned their prejudices.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
General Vengeance said:
For a peaceful loving world become an Atheist.
I don't know Buddhism fits that description better then Atheism. While religion is used as justification to be a dick chances are without religion the person would still be a dick they would just find another to justify it.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
I don't oppose religion, but I do oppose people who believe they have the right to freedom and other people aren't just because of their sexual orientation. Hypocrites...

Still, multi-coloured Oreo's. Who wants?

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Woodsey said:
CosmicCommander said:
To be fair, the politicization of snacks is fucking annoying.

Let's not be so disparaging towards anti-homosexual people. Sure, we can disagree with their interpretations of the scripture and such, but just because they harmlessly believe homosexuality is something bad doesn't mean they're morons. I've met a lot of people who have reasons for being anti-homosexual who are well-read, intelligent, and support their points; they're not all morons, surprisingly.
List three good reasons.

While you're at it you might also care to list three good reasons for hating black people, three good reasons for hating ethnic Jews, three good reasons for hating people with brown hair.

You know, all the other inane reasons to hate a person.
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, before I begin. I'm a fairly liberal chap. But firstly, I find that the parties I'm talking about don't hate homosexuals by default -- they just have objections to the practice. Although this dislike of the practice can for some turn into hatred of individuals, the people I'm referring to tend to be very amiable and good-willed towards even those who practice homosexuality; so I do object to that last sentence of yours -- and the general vibe that all people who object to homosexuality are hateful, cruel, and mean.

Just before I post the three reasons I've heard I'll just clarify this: these aren't my views. So it's pretty pointless trying to debate me on these things due to the fact I don't believe in them myself.

-Firstly, they'd say, humans have evolved to procreate. This is evidenced all about the Animal Kingdom. Species are supposed to mate, and create more offspring. This is what nature dictates. Some parties feel that as nature is infallible, to be born conditioned to engage in activities that will not allow for procreation means that there's something wrong with the mindset of those who are homosexual.

-Secondly, some other parties are strict adherents to religions; and the ones I base this off, the Abrahamic ones. Although many of them do preach tolerance and love, it's made clear in the scripture that homosexuality is an immoral activity.

-Thirdly, many parties feel that the rise of homosexuality over the past fifty years is part of a trend favouring hedonistic, individualistic pursuits over those benefiting society and humanity as a whole. This tends to be the view of older people; they feel their children aren't working hard enough to make the world a better place, and are instead fornicating or indulging their desires.

All people who expressed these views have said they didn't hate homosexuals. They just objected to their practices. Not all people who are against homosexuality hate homosexuals. Although I think the WBC would like you to believe otherwise.

Oh God, everyone's going to think I'm a frigid old kook now.

Woodsey said:
Both of those demonstrate idiots, the former is just a tolerable one.
You know, you could debunk people's beliefs by civilised debate rather than calling them idiots. I disagree with them as well, but you don't win hearts, minds, or friends by pointing at them and insulting them.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
CosmicCommander said:

Let's not be so disparaging towards anti-homosexual people. Sure, we can disagree with their interpretations of the scripture and such, but just because they harmlessly believe homosexuality is something bad doesn't mean they're morons. I've met a lot of people who have reasons for being anti-homosexual who are well-read, intelligent, and support their points; they're not all morons, surprisingly.
They "harmlessly" believe homosexuality is something bad the same way the KKK "harmlessly" believe white people are superior. People have been murdered because they were Gay. In the United States. In the last generation. In very horrific ways.

I'm willing to debate homosexuality on an academic level. However, the only evidence (if you want to call it that) there exists that homosexuality is abnormal are a few verses in the Bible. Hypocrisy isn't too far behind, as similar verses also say you shouldn't get tattoos, eat pork, and that it's perfectly fine to treat women like objects.

It's the hypocrisy which fuels the reactionary dislike. It is simply irrational to cherry-pick verses without significant logical support. Why take issue with gay marriage and not taxes (as Jesus was very much in favor of giving Caesar his due)? Why with this cookie and not SKITTLES(tm) where the very slogan is "Taste the rainbow!"? What about Fruity Pebbles or Lucky Charms or anything ever having to do with rainbows that exists after the symbol was partially co-opted by the Gay Rights movement?

There are explanations, but none of them are good. Living up to the principles outlined in the Bible is all-consuming and exhausting, so you let a few slide (usually the ones you do) and find others to criticize people about. "The Bible says so" is a great cop-out for your brain. You don't have to evaluate evidence and maybe change your beliefs because this book tells you it's bad - and it's a hell of a lot easier to believe an old book than assess your current system of moral infrastructure. Oh, and you're totally not in any physical danger. The Gay Community is surprisingly non-violent, and modern America is about the least violent it has ever been. You can spew your opinion (especially on the internet) with the full knowledge that you won't wake up with a burning cross on your lawn.

What's ever more comedic (to me, anyways) is that the word 'Gay' meant 'happy/cheerful' within the last 100 years. It's like people forget terms like "homosexual" and "heterosexual" would have been devoid of meaning a century ago. Sexuality has been a spectrum since the very inception of civilization, and while only one combination of sexes produces a child, other cultures sure as heck didn't find other combinations "unnatural." Spartan women, quite infamously, had to shave their heads and put on baggy clothes to look like young boys so their new husbands could get used to the company of a woman.

This is an entirely new, entirely frivolous debate that will last as long as it takes for the Baby Boomers to die (Gen X and the Millenials are OVERWHELMINGLY in favor of Gay Rights). That's all this is, and until someone can produce evidence otherwise, I will continue in my opinion.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
When will certain people stop pretending that they're religious and just admit that they're misogynist, racist, homophobic, and all-around hateful?

And I'm surprised by the amount of comments that seem upset that the pictured cookie isn't going on sale....the double stuffs are already too much for me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
Woodsey said:
CosmicCommander said:

List three good reasons.

While you're at it you might also care to list three good reasons for hating black people, three good reasons for hating ethnic Jews, three good reasons for hating people with brown hair.

You know, all the other inane reasons to hate a person.
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, before I begin. I'm a fairly liberal chap. But firstly, I find that the parties I'm talking about don't hate homosexuals by default -- they just have objections to the practice. Although this dislike of the practice can for some turn into hatred of individuals, the people I'm referring to tend to be very amiable and good-willed towards even those who practice homosexuality; so I do object to that last sentence of yours -- and the general vibe that all people who object to homosexuality are hateful, cruel, and mean.

Just before I post the three reasons I've heard I'll just clarify this: these aren't my views. So it's pretty pointless trying to debate me on these things due to the fact I don't believe in them myself.

-Firstly, they'd say, humans have evolved to procreate. This is evidenced all about the Animal Kingdom. Species are supposed to mate, and create more offspring. This is what nature dictates. Some parties feel that as nature is infallible, to be born conditioned to engage in activities that will not allow for procreation means that there's something wrong with the mindset of those who are homosexual.

-Secondly, some other parties are strict adherents to religions; and the ones I base this off, the Abrahamic ones. Although many of them do preach tolerance and love, it's made clear in the scripture that homosexuality is an immoral activity.

-Thirdly, many parties feel that the rise of homosexuality over the past fifty years is part of a trend favouring hedonistic, individualistic pursuits over those benefiting society and humanity as a whole. This tends to be the view of older people; they feel their children aren't working hard enough to make the world a better place, and are instead fornicating or indulging their desires.

All people who expressed these views have said they didn't hate homosexuals. They just objected to their practices. Not all people who are against homosexuality hate homosexuals. Although I think the WBC would like you to believe otherwise.

Oh God, everyone's going to think I'm a frigid old kook now.

Woodsey said:
Both of those demonstrate idiots, the former is just a tolerable one.
You know, you could debunk people's beliefs by civilised debate rather than calling them idiots. I disagree with them as well, but you don't win hearts, minds, or friends by pointing at them and insulting them.
'-Firstly, they'd say, humans have evolved to procreate. This is evidenced all about the Animal Kingdom. Species are supposed to mate, and create more offspring. This is what nature dictates. Some parties feel that as nature is infallible, to be born conditioned to engage in activities that will not allow for procreation means that there's something wrong with the mindset of those who are homosexual.'

Yeah, and as evidenced by the animal kingdom, homosexuality's everywhere. Not to mention this seems to assert that nature is some sort of literal authority-figure (although that could just be your own wording), which links into number two.

'-Secondly, some other parties are strict adherents to religions; and the ones I base this off, the Abrahamic ones. Although many of them do preach tolerance and love, it's made clear in the scripture that homosexuality is an immoral activity.'

I wouldn't consider getting your opinion from a piece of superstition to be valid reasoning behind said opinion.

'-Thirdly, many parties feel that the rise of homosexuality over the past fifty years is part of a trend favouring hedonistic, individualistic pursuits over those benefiting society and humanity as a whole. This tends to be the view of older people; they feel their children aren't working hard enough to make the world a better place, and are instead fornicating or indulging their desires.'

Homosexuality has swung in and out of acceptance since forever - this is not a legitimate reason for 'disliking the practice'.

'You know, you could debunk people's beliefs by civilised debate rather than calling them idiots. I disagree with them as well, but you don't win hearts, minds, or friends by pointing at them and insulting them.'

Nor does pretending every opinion is a valid one just because people are 'well-read'.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
As I said before to you chaps above, it's pointless to debate me on this. I'm just presenting what I've heard in various debates where I am the one challenging these views. I'd actually be inclined to agree with what you're saying.

Woodsey said:
Nor does pretending every opinion is a valid one just because people are 'well-read'.
I don't think every opinion is valid, I just think that being polite and willing to defeat people through logic and reason rather than insult them and be a sarcastic twit is the way to go. I know you have this veil of anonymity on the internet which likely gives you the courage to be as rude as you want, but it doesn't really help your case. Just leave out parts where you call people moronic, and you'd be surprised how susceptible and willing they are to respond back and hear your critiques.

It's not merely yourself; it's just an attitude on these parts of the web that "if you don't agree with me and my friends, you obviously have a wrench sticking out your brain." And I'd say that doesn't really help discussions at all; and it is a nasty way to underestimate and prevent you from getting on with fine people who may just digress with you.

BanZeus

May 29, 2010
I'm all for tolerance, but I'm so happy someone finally took a stand and said no to that bullshit color indigo.

OT: I don't care if they're just doing it to drum up publicity, each time a major organization takes a stand like this we move towards a more enlightened future.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Some of the negative comments...Janis Petron... Cody Patterson...Trevor Day... Mads Fjord
Am I missing some context here? Are these named people well-known/celebrities (in the US) or are they literally just comments plucked from Facebook?

If they are just plebs, Andy, I can't help wondering why you've spent inches quoting so much of their nonsense - it reads a little too much like a sensational playground story of "so-and-so said this". I thought Jonathan Carter's recent article [//www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117848-Kickstarter-Video-Project-Attracts-Misogynist-Horde] on the Tropes vs. Women Kickstarter backlash incorporated negative 'pleb comments' in a better, smoother, way; less...wall of text.

You might totally disagree with that presentation point, and that's fine, it's just something that occured to me.

I realise I'm late to this thread-party, so I brought Oreos ;)

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Thumbs up to Oreo, and Kraft for staying firm on their assertions. Also, that rainbow cookie looks DELICIOUS.

Can't say I'm too surprised about the controversy. The people who oppose this sort of thing will always latch onto whatever they can and "scream" about it for a little while until they lose interest. But I think it's safe to say that there's no way anyone is actually going to boycott Kraft and all their products: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kraft_brands

On a somewhat related note, now I want Oreos.

headless Monkey Boy

Sep 20, 2010
THIS IS DISGUSTING AND NOT NATURAL, DONT ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THIS!!!! I cannot in good conscience support this.

So many artifical colours, think of the E-numbers, it'll send your kids loopy.