Gay Oreo Inspires Internet Outrage

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Dragonclaw said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Tanis said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Dude, I'm an atheist, but it doesn't help us when you say stuff like that. Sure, THESE christian people are using religion to justify atrocity, but that does not mean that all religous people do. There are LGBT christians too, the actions of the few do not define the actions of the many, and by putting them all together in the same way doesn't make anyone willing to listen to you.
Yeah, but it's PART OF THEIR BOOK.
It's 'the word of god'.

Try as they might, 'good Christians' are going AGAINST god when they don't stone to death that jerk-off neighbor who worked on The Sabbath.

Being an LGBT Christian just means you're illiterate.
Seeing as your not the Pope, you don't get to make that call.
What call? It's what the book says. If your god is unfailable, and it's what the Bible says, then you believe everything in it. If you're picking and choosing then you're admitting God is wrong, just too deep in denial to admit it. They're using parts they agree with to justify their bigotry, but ignoring everything else. Fuck that they're Christians, that's just being hypocritical. Which is bad.
My aunt is a Baptist minister...she also happens to be a lesbian. I was raised Christian, but in a church (not my aunt's) that taught CRAZY things like TOLERANCE. The Bible is filled with contradictions, mostly becuase it was written by a lot of different people, then changed to fit the times and whatever agenda said church had. From the old to the new testamant you'd think God was a totally different guy...he went from the strict always angry dad full of hellfire, brimstone and punishment for every little thing to the doting grandfather who's cool "as long as you say you're sorry and treat each other well" (Somehow that last part gets overlooked all too often). It's not about admitting that god is wrong, it's saying that god, like everyone else, changes and evolves. There are LOTS of different interpretations of the Bible, it's why there are so many denominations, but I've always gravitated to the ones that emphasized treating each other with kindness and respect, and that includes our LGBT friends and neighbors.

on topic - Oreo cookies are AWESOME, it's a cute ad, though that is just too much filling for a retail release :)
So what's your point here, that your aunt and all the churches you've been to are really shitty Baptists? Have you actually read the Bible, cuz it pretty much teaches the opposite of tolerance and the kind of critical thinking that would be required to accept people who are different then you. Whether it's a positive interpretation or not, if you're only hearing about what the book "says" by proxy from another source, like what you read online or what your paster or whatever they're called told you during mass, then you're still speaking from ignorance. Whether you're claiming to have done it already or not, I'd recommend taking the bible and sitting down, on your own time, and read it yourself in your own words in your own mind, from beginning to end. See if actually reading the crazy horse shit in that stupid book doesn't make you rethink some things.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
When I first saw this on facebook and read through the comments it made me fucking sick. I knew there were homophobes out there already and i've dealt with some in person but this just made me rage. Good to see Kraft sticking to their guns and basically giving these people the middle finger.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
And good luck fitting that whole thing into your mouth.
Insert gay joke of choice here.

Dangit2019 said:
Also, this pretty much lays out why the supposed boycott participants will inevitably fail:

I haven't eaten anything on that list in a long time because I'm a raw vegetable eatin ************, but I may have to go out and buy a sleeve or two of oreos in support now.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, it looks tasty, but I'm allergic to a lot of food colorings, so I don't think I could keep it down.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ultrachicken said:
But why? The food tastes the same, the prices stay the same, everything about the food is the same. So what's the big deal?
Because hypothetically this could lead to a food company taking a stand on something I don't support, and I could buy something without knowing that the company supports such a stand. Like if Taco Bell supported going to war with Iran, and I didn't know they did, I would unintentionally be supporting war against Iran.

ultrachicken said:
I see this as an ingenius ad campaign. Just take a look at this thread: the majority of people here are saying that this makes them want an Oreo. The fanatically homophobic communities are small. Anyone with less extreme views is not going to boycott Kraft (after all, they make a massive portion of the food Americans eat). Plus, this boosts PR with gay rights supporters.
First off, the Escapist is very liberal. Second off it isn't homophobic to be against gay marriage and if you look at the US polls [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#Polls_in_2012], people against gay marriage are not a small community. But we are starting to go off subject, the point is that I don't want food companies supporting political views.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I'm laughing hard from the people who are threatening to boycott because of their political stance. Are they truly stupid enough to rage over someone liking gay marraige?

Well good thing is i've purged a few friends from my facebook and those who won't eat them will lose a bit of weight.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I'm laughing hard from the people who are threatening to boycott because of their political stance. Are they truly stupid enough to rage over someone liking gay marraige?

Well good thing is i've purged a few friends from my facebook and those who won't eat them will lose a bit of weight.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Buretsu said:
But it's pretty hypocritical to say that the Bible is perfect and infallible... and then only choose to obey certain parts of it, and ignore anything inconvenient.
I guess its a good thing that every single Christian doesn't believe that, huh?

Buretsu said:
Like people who get tattoos of Leviticus on their arm, when Leviticus also forbids tattoos.
No that is nothing alike. As a Jew, let me clear up this confusion. That rule about no tattoos? That is a rule for us, not gentiles. If you are so concerned about Jewish rules that apply to gentiles, here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahide_laws] you go.
Roman Monaghan said:
Actually I'm pretty sure it is. If you believe God is perfect, but don't believe everything that's said in his little instruction guide, then yeah, not Christian.
Oh look, another person acting as Pope for all Christians.
Roman Monaghan said:
Just in denial. And you're right, it IS a false dichotomy. Yet another reason ontop of the other ninety-billion of why Christianity and most other religions are stupid.
That's a nice opinion you have there.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Never really like Oreos... but I do like their style. I would love to eat that multicoloured one :)

Good on Kraft for doing this.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Magichead said:
GameMaNiAC said:
I don't exactly hate gay people.

But I do hate it when they rub it in my face like this. Y'know. The fact that they are gay.

Please leave cookies in the neutral territory. Thanks.
What, like we straight people rub it in their face constantly, with every aspect of our society, behaviour, social norms and so forth?

"I don't HATE black people, I just don't want to have to look at them, or hear them, or acknowledge that they exist." If you can grasp why <that statement is retarded, perhaps you'll begin to grasp why the same is true of your attitude towards gay people.
I'll just quote myself from earlier in this thread.

GameMaNiAC said:
I don't dislike gay people. I dislike making such a big deal out of it. That is simply it.

I personally know a few gay people and they seem fine to me.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
On the subject of the Bible...

The Old Testament (a.k.a. The Desert Nomad's Survival Guide):
- Forbids the mixing of crops to prevent parasites and bacteria to spread between them and potentially ruin harvests. (Of course it was easier to just say "because God says so" than to actually have to explain the phenomenon at the time.)
- Forbids anal sex, because they didn't have showers back then and unsanitary living could easily lead to death or even widespread (and deadly) bacterial outbreaks.

The New Testament (a.k.a. Acceptable Social Behavior In Proper Nations):
- Focuses more on that people should get along. Initially, at least.

On the subject of Oreos...

Their Swedish TV commercials are annoying as shit, but I guess I should give them a try? (Or make my own rainbow-themed foodstuffs. And, yes, I know real Oreos don't actually come in Rainbow.)

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
When I first saw it, I thought that they were releasing a new cookie that had 6 multi-color layers of cream. Man, the disappointment I felt when they

1. Aren't actually selling the cookie.

2. Are apparently sharing messages of peace and getting boycotted and chewed out because of it.

I mean, dear God, its A FREAKING FACEBOOK PICTURE. It's not like they're teaching "it's okay to be gay" classes at the YMCA, you ignorant morons. I can't believe people will make such a big deal when a company says that everyone regardless of sexuality should have a happy life.

Do people even READ the Bible before they start screaming out prepared verses about the "sins" and "abominations" that are gay people apparently. Doesn't anyone remember "love your neighbor"? No? Well, crap.
The joke is that the Bible says nothing about loving the opposite sex is evil, but that sodomy is... Some how they think being Gay means your a sodomite, even though that is utter bull... Also I bet that most of those anti-gay people do sodomy and thus they are by the Bible to be condemned to hell :) Also wish the cookie was real so I could try it, then afterwords have a stomach ache :)

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
The haters can go ahead and boycott Oreos all they want, because when it comes down to it it's just more for us level-headed folks. :D

Besides, you can't ***** and moan all you want, but we all know you'd eat a six-layered Oreo in a flash, no matter the colours.

CorruptCor3

May 17, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
Oh goody, time to put on my favorite hat.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

See, see I was right!! First it started with cereal going all rainbowy and shit to supposedly market themselves to kids. Though I think we're all in agreement that the real reason is that really they're just trying to desensitize our kids to that awful gay pride flag. *spits* It's an affront to the lizard shadow government that runs this great country.

Then there was the creation of Skittles. Oh don't think I'm not on to you Skittles. "Taste the rainbow," more like "Taste our brainwashing food coloring." By running a marketing campaign that causes both people and children to associate the rainbow with their satanic candy instead of the factual tale of how Noah saved the world when Xenu melted the polar ice caps by inventing the rainbow defense system that remains in place to this very day. The inspiration of which was given to him by the lord almighty. Though it's starting to weaken since it is powered by the sacred love aura given off by the holy union of man and woman. Which is being sabotaged by the gays.

Yes friends, the gays are evil agents of Xenu sent here to destroy the rainbow shield which has kept him from laying waste to our young 4,000 year old earth. Now they have sunk their villainous claws into the once righteous Oreo. Our allies grow few in this hopeless battle, but we will win. We will defend the earth so that our lizard overlords may continue to benevolently rule us from the shadows.

So condemn this multicolored symbol of oppression, and send the message that we were already conquered by a space faring civilization and that we are very happy under their rule. Open your eyes people, with the rise of the gays comes the fall of all life on the planet!!.

*removes tin foil hat*

So sayeth the Legion of Mad Fellows.
You are either a champion of hilariousness or a terrible person, I can't really tell.

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
Lord Beautiful said:
And good luck fitting that whole thing into your mouth.
Being an openly gay male, I think it is safe to say that you vastly underestimate the target audience of this cookie if it did come into the market.

That being said, I do agree that the cookie to cream ratio would be a bit sickly.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Buretsu said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Actually I'm pretty sure it is. If you believe God is perfect, but don't believe everything that's said in his little instruction guide, then yeah, not Christian.
Oh look, another person acting as Pope for all Christians.
I'm confused about the Pope thing, since you seem to wanna keep using it as an argument as if it's self explanitory. It seems to be working under the concept that the Pope is the final authority on Christianity. But if you believe in the Bible, isn't GOD the final authority? And doesn't he already have a book out written in black and white for all to see and judge for themselves?

And isn't the Pope the head of the Catholics, NOT "all Christians in general"? I mean you claim to be a Jew here, and yet for some reason you seem to think you can speak on this as if you know what you're talking about when, instead, with every word you just go to prove you are speaking from nothing more then complete and abject ignorance.

Short history lesson: the term "Christians" is really just a unified term that covers most of the different denominations of Bible believing groups. It covers Pentecostals, Baptists, Lutherans, Evangelicals, and yeah, Catholics. There was no unified "Christian" title they could all unite under. Christianity, as an identifying term, was thought up in order to give the church going public a more unified position to stand under when trying to get political rights, since a unified party gets more recognition then a bunch of splinter factions that all hated each other. So while "Christian" technically applies to every group that believes in the Bible, The Pope, as in the Italian mother fucker who lives in the Vatican, only speaks for and represents Catholics, the largest denomination of the organized christian movement. So saying we're pretending to be that when talking about christians in general instead of just catholics specifically really doesn't make sense, since the Pope only speaks for the Roman Catholics, and isn't the final authority on the Word of God anyway, since the Word of God speaks for itself.

TL;DR: You're wrong, and your attempts at undermining other peoples arguments only makes you sound like a dumbass.