Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This piece of news made me raise my eyebrows:

EA Sports football series will no longer be called FIFA, but EA Sports FC.

Basically FIFA wanted double the money for EA to use their name (150 M$ per year) and demanded they use the FIFA brand on more products. EA said no.

I honestly have no idea what will come of this, or what this is about. I don't know if FIFA intends to approach another developer (or if they have one in house already) and wanted to make the price too steep for EA to consider or if EA will be able to maintain their established audience when they lose the name. Occam's razor suggests that it is a matter of greed on both ends, but nevertheless this is the end of an era.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
This piece of news made me raise my eyebrows:

EA Sports football series will no longer be called FIFA, but EA Sports FC.

Basically FIFA wanted double the money for EA to use their name (150 M$ per year) and demanded they use the FIFA brand on more products. EA said no.

I honestly have no idea what will come of this, or what this is about. I don't know if FIFA intends to approach another developer (or if they have one in house already) and wanted to make the price too steep for EA to consider or if EA will be able to maintain their established audience when they lose the name. Occam's razor suggests that it is a matter of greed on both ends, but nevertheless this is the end of an era.
The playerbase will probably play a key role; Will they choose the guys who's been making their favorite sports for years, or will they buy a game with the word "FIFA" in the title?

I highly doubt FIFA has any in-house devs, unless they bring some people from EA who has worked on the games

Reactions: BrawlMan

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The playerbase will probably play a key role; Will they choose the guys who's been making their favorite sports for years, or will they buy a game with the word "FIFA" in the title?
Most of the playerbase will go to whereever they can play as their favourite team... It's why PES/eFootball always got considered the 'other' football game even back when it was the superior game playwise (and not the rolling binfire it is now) simply because it didn't offer the same range of real world leagues, clubs and players.

I would also imagine that if EA lost the rights to use real world players then FUT is going to lose a lot of its appeal to many of the people who play FIFA solely for that.

Reactions: Bedinsis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That article desperately needed numbers for other "side" entry. Like how well did the stadium do? How about the side game on portable (iirc there was a feudal japan tactics pokemon game). Cause it seem like it only outsold the not quite main entry and remake but did worse than all real main entry.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
That's if they decide to make it even backwards compatible. They know the answer, but won't or can't put in the effort.
I mean it wouldnt be the first time theyve done it. The wii u was backwards compatible. The switch is a killer machine all they really need to do is upgrade the hardware and keep the software the same so that it will take all switch games.