General Gaming News.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So really the one thing I was waiting to see is if they would be adding the gun smithing animations from the second game, and they have. This shows they actually are adding the improved gameplay from the sequel and not just enhancing the textures.
This was my question as well. I haven't played either game, but from what I've seen, Part 1 doesn't seem to quite exactly have the gameplay of Part 2. The animations are stellar, but don't seem to be as smooth as Part 2. The gore as well doesn't seem on par.

Either way, this is so totally Naughty Dog sniffing their own farts and enjoying. That said, pretty cool for those who get to experience this version first.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well let’s just compare a bit here visually -

There’s also the fact this is what, the third time they’ve released TLoU. I know Sony and many players are in love with the game and it’s good it’ll be more on par with Part 2 in other aspects, but between these two IP’s it’s pretty clear which one has more milking going on. Same with SotC.

RE is a completely different story. We’re talking at least a three generation gap on average, but they are still clearly running with it for the dollar dollar bills yo, perhaps more than anyone (but not Rockstar).
Sure, but you're equally paying 70 bucks for a game from 2007. One that is not so much a remake as a re-texture with improved animations. Shadow of the Colossus has also been released three times.
This was my question as well. I haven't played either game, but from what I've seen, Part 1 doesn't seem to quite exactly have the gameplay of Part 2. The animations are stellar, but don't seem to be as smooth as Part 2. The gore as well doesn't seem on par.
Well, Joel and Ellie move very differently, so there's that. Ellie is a lot more fast and agile and the level design accomodated for that. I also don't know how far you can veer away from the original animations without needing to recalibrate the input and the timing on everything. The faces definitely lack the finer animations of the sequel, since all of it needs to be key-framed without any facial capture to back it up.

I doubt there'll be any changes to the level design as that would not only screw with the pacing but require added dialoge which we know there won't be. I think the most drastic change in that department is that they're probably going to splice the Left Behind DLC into the main campaign.

Either way, this is so totally Naughty Dog sniffing their own farts and enjoying.
Yeah, they can't seem to not to. I mean, the disability options are great (as they were in the sequel), and the fact that there'll be fully voiced narration is pretty amazing, but referring to it as 'award winning' comes off very smug.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Either way, this is so totally Naughty Dog sniffing their own farts and enjoying. That said, pretty cool for those who get to experience this version first.

Ultimately what these remakes make me think is that as technology keeps improving we’ll eventually stop fucking seeing the “need” for them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Sure, but you're equally paying 70 bucks for a game from 2007. One that is not so much a remake as a re-texture with improved animations. Shadow of the Colossus has also been released three times.
Well, Joel and Ellie move very differently, so there's that. Ellie is a lot more fast and agile and the level design accomodated for that. I also don't know how far you can veer away from the original animations without needing to recalibrate the input and the timing on everything. The faces definitely lack the finer animations of the sequel, since all of it needs to be key-framed without any facial capture to back it up.

I doubt there'll be any changes to the level design as that would not only screw with the pacing but require added dialoge which we know there won't be. I think the most drastic change in that department is that they're probably going to splice the Left Behind DLC into the main campaign.

Yeah, they can't seem to not to. I mean, the disability options are great (as they were in the sequel), and the fact that there'll be fully voiced narration is pretty amazing, but referring to it as 'award winning' comes off very smug.
I had to look it up but yeah, TLoU2’s accessibility options pretty much fueled this -

Regardless I guess they have a right to be proud, as it’s a pretty stellar effort that has also led to things like this -

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had to look it up but yeah, TLoU2’s accessibility options pretty much fueled this -

Regardless I guess they have a right to be proud, as it’s a pretty stellar effort that has also led to things like this -
Surely they could have replace "seeing" with something else in that headline, maybe "witness" or "realize"...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I did not even know these games were still active.

Hey @Samtemdo8, and @Xprimentyl...not good news? I guess depending how you look at it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Speaking of which....This is going to be No Man's Pirate.
I know what you're trying to say here but considering No Man's Sky apparently has gotten a lot better since it's awful mess of a launch, apparently giving a lot of the fans what they wanted out of it to start with, that may not be the best example to use. They deserve plenty of blame for how it came out but there is something to be said for all the work they've been putting into it. I haven't even played it and I can't personally judge but it's clear Hello Games really does care about it.

Especially since I don't see Ubisoft going out of their way to fix it if/when it fails hard. They might issue a few patchs, have an event or three, go F2P and if that doesn't work they'll take it behind the barn and put two in the head within a year or so and forget it ever happened.

Failure of management.
My only issue with that is assumes any management was going on to begin with, which I'm finding increasingly hard to believe. I'd make a joke about monkeys banging away at typewriters but that's an insult to monkeys.

I'm pretty sure the only reasom Skull and Bones is even still a thing is Ubisoft didn't want to breach contract with Singapore.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I know what you're trying to say here but considering No Man's Sky apparently has gotten a lot better since it's awful mess of a launch, apparently giving a lot of the fans what they wanted out of it to start with, that may not be the best example to use. They deserve plenty of blame for how it came out but there is something to be said for all the work they've been putting into it. I haven't even played it and I can't personally judge but it's clear Hello Games really does care about it.

Especially since I don't see Ubisoft going out of their way to fix it if/when it fails hard. They might issue a few patchs, have an event or three, go F2P and if that doesn't work they'll take it behind the barn and put two in the head within a year or so and forget it ever happened.

My only issue with that is assumes any management was going on to begin with, which I'm finding increasingly hard to believe. I'd make a joke about monkeys banging away at typewriters but that's an insult to monkeys.

I'm pretty sure the only reasom Skull and Bones is even still a thing is Ubisoft didn't want to breach contract with Singapore.
Gotta wonder what they had envisioned for it. IIRC the idea was to expand upon the framework already set with Black Flag, so the fact the project has been in limbo for this long is more than a bit baffling even by Ubi standards.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gotta wonder what they had envisioned for it. IIRC the idea was to expand upon the framework already set with Black Flag, so the fact the project has been in limbo for this long is more than a bit baffling even by Ubi standards.
I've read numerous times they really didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with it. Apparently they kept going back and forth between having on-foot and just ship stuff and scrapped development stuff along the way. Also the allegations that French Executives used the Singapore studio as a Vacation and none of the local Singaporeans were allowed to be promoted to Management positions in the studio isn't helping this either. While I'm not entirely sure if that's true, the allegations about harassment in the other studios and a lot of the questionable design decisions they've made over the past few years really doesn't give me a lot of reason to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Yeah, it's Kotaku, so take that it as you will, but it still sounds pretty damning

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've read numerous times they really didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with it. Apparently they kept going back and forth between having on-foot and just ship stuff and scrapped development stuff along the way. Also the allegations that French Executives used the Singapore studio as a Vacation and none of the local Singaporeans were allowed to be promoted to Management positions in the studio isn't helping this either. While I'm not entirely sure if that's true, the allegations about harassment in the other studios and a lot of the questionable design decisions they've made over the past few years really doesn't give me a lot of reason to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Yeah, it's Kotaku, so take that it as you will, but it still sounds pretty damning
More or less matches up to what Pat and Woolie discussed. I dislike Kotaku, but they have people that at least try and care about important issues within the gaming industry.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The prices keeping getting scalped higher and higher!
Yes please.

Ubisoft is cancelling new IPs left and right.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker