General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Holy shit, and I was complaining about how outdated Witcher 1 felt a few months ago (Still great in terms of story).

Glad to hear they are adapting to new engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I want Atlus to do a modern port of Radiant Historia. We're getting ones for Persona so maybe we have a chance.

Just throwing it out there. Granted, I fully admit I might be the only one who cares about that game.
Well square enix has radiant stories, so maybe they'll port that, that's like half of radiant historia

I'd fuckin love that, but that's a game I'm the only one who care about.
You both are not alone. I really enjoyed both games as well.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Holy shit, and I was complaining about how outdated Witcher 1 felt a few months ago (Still great in terms of story).

Glad to hear they are adapting to new engine.
At first I was like, “Nice cash-in CDPR; TW3 isn’t even as old as TLoU!”

Then I noticed it’s for the original and warm fuzzies ensued.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
At first I was like, “Nice cash-in CDPR; TW3 isn’t even as old as TLoU!”

Then I noticed it’s for the original and warm fuzzies ensued.
Witcher really could benefit from a remake. I liked the plot and the characters but man the gameplay was clunky.

It's not unbearable but I felt like I was struggling against the gameplay to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The real benefit of a Witcher 1 remake is that we can play it on consoles, of course. Part of the original's "clunkiness" is that it was basically a CRPG that they tried to shoe-horn in action style combat.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of changes they make. Acts 2 and 3 of the game are notorious slogs while act 4 is generally the favorite.
The story is good but it is also incredibly difficult to reckon with in retrospect given the constraints they put upon themselves- i.e., make it a book sequel but not really.

And I am of mixed feelings about remakes- normally I would say they should be spending time on new games instead of doing old ones but they've already announced like 12 games recently? so what do I know

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The real benefit of a Witcher 1 remake is that we can play it on consoles, of course. Part of the original's "clunkiness" is that it was basically a CRPG that they tried to shoe-horn in action style combat.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of changes they make. Acts 2 and 3 of the game are notorious slogs while act 4 is generally the favorite.
The story is good but it is also incredibly difficult to reckon with in retrospect given the constraints they put upon themselves- i.e., make it a book sequel but not really.

And I am of mixed feelings about remakes- normally I would say they should be spending time on new games instead of doing old ones but they've already announced like 12 games recently? so what do I know
You're right. The Witcher 1 is a fucking mess of a game that was nearly unplayable when it first launched due to the stupid click combat that wasn't responsive and the obscure questing system.

A remake is warranted, but it would need fundamental changes.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
You're right. The Witcher 1 is a fucking mess of a game that was nearly unplayable when it first launched due to the stupid click combat that wasn't responsive and the obscure questing system.

A remake is warranted, but it would need fundamental changes.
Yep. Even with mods there is a certain point where you just can't polish anymore. And judging by their statement, it sounds like this will be a remake done from ground-up. And I'm sure this time they'll truly reveal more when it's ready, and not repeat CP2077 fiasco

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yep. Even with mods there is a certain point where you just can't polish anymore. And judging by their statement, it sounds like this will be a remake done from ground-up. And I'm sure this time they'll truly reveal more when it's ready, and not repeat CP2077 fiasco
Except unlike Cyberpunk a certain percentage is still done for them. Dialogue, quest lines, character designs, critical path story are already completed. They’ll need to be transferred certainly and that’s no small amount of work but they have an existing and complete reference to work from if issues occur.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I would reconsider increasing your prices until you can build those prices off offering something that people actually want. Develop games worth $70 before trying to charge $70 for them. Fucking muppet I swear. Why are you even talking about pricing when you aren't fucking making or releasing anything?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Develop games worth $70 before trying to charge $70 for them. Fucking muppet I swear. Why are you even talking about pricing when you aren't fucking making or releasing anything?
I called this shit a year ago. A majority of these games aren't worth the $70 price tag. Even if they cured cancer, none of them still wouldn't be worth it. And this is definitely no different when Sony was already increasing the price on PS plus back when PS4 first launched after a year. Sony's tier subscription ain't worth crap either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I called this shit a year ago. A majority of these games aren't worth the $70 price tag. Even if they cured cancer, it still wouldn't be worth it. And this is definitely no different when Sony was already increasing the price on PS plus back when PS4 first launched after a year. Sony's tier subscription ain't worth crap either.
The $70 thing I am always gonna disagree with you on that, I wont argue anymore other that to say that I do think many games are worth that price easily imo. Regardless, Phil even having the conversation about pricing when Xbox is in its current state of absolute dogshit is probably the stupidest move they could be making right now. Their platform is already suffering and increasing the price isn't going to help matters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
many games are worth that price easily
Not in today's market and economy especially when a majority of them are launch broken, missing features, delayed promises for broken promises, and even if that's not the case, they usually end up being below average or just barely average games. Sometimes pretty look at, but not worth the 💰 and play time.

Phil even having the conversation about pricing when Xbox is in its current state of absolute dogshit is probably the stupidest move they could be making right now. Their platform is already suffering and increasing the price isn't going to help matters
The exact reason why I was suspicious and dead set against it in the first place. Phil & Microsoft like just like Sony did back during the eighth generation. When Sony said they wouldn't do any more pricing increases for PS plus after the $50 mark. It's the same lie every publisher is pulling out of their asses to justify to $70. "Oh, it's the bad economy! Oh, video games are too expensive to make! Oh, it's because of covid! The money is going to the developers!". It's all full of crap and you know it. I know you still disagree, but I do not care. My stanceon this is final, and I know I'm not alone on this. With a few exceptions of AAA, I'm glad I made the decision just to stick with AA and indie for a good reason.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Man, Japan just keeps getting shafted as of late
This game should only be slightly gorier than Dead Space 2 or DS1 Remake. The censorship laws must have gotten even more rough now. Seriously Japanese censor boards or whoever's in charge, you're not exactly one to talk right now. I guess they can't release it without heavily butchering the blood or greying the stuff out.

Reactions: FakeSympathy