Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
250,000,000 users ffs. FTP is possibly the biggest ruse of the industry.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
250,000,000 users ffs. FTP is possibly the biggest ruse of the industry.
Yep. Which is why I won't be sad if and when they get hard capped on their crap. Ask for the users, I know not all four night players have their own personal computers or they use their families or older brothers or whatever, but these parents have got to take stuff away from the kids, if it comes to that point. I know these games and industry prey on the naive, stupid, and those with addictive tendencies, but parents need to step up. If their game is on a console, then the parents must take the console away, if that's all they play on there anyway. Set ground rules and boundaries. Punish accordingly. Stop treating your kids like their your friends or roommates are trying to please or barely care about. I know being a hearing ain't easy, but nobody said it'll always be fun and games, or that your responsibilities will shrink.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Oopske dookles skueeniks!

We've all done it before. You need a picture for an assignment or presentation, you head to Google and find the perfect image. But it's got a huge watermark across it. It's not like it's being used for profit, or it's going to be seen by thousands of people, so it's probably fine.
The stakes are a little different when said assignment is, say, a £50 game from a best-selling, worldwide franchise. And unfortunately for someone at Square Enix, that assignment was Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 Reunion.

Shortly after the game's release yesterday, the eagle-eyed writers over at Kotaku noticed a Getty Images watermark on one of the in-game paintings.

poster

The painting in question can be found during chapter eight, where the Shinra Manor is visited. It's used not once, but three times on the wall. Kotaku did some searching on Getty Images itself and figured out the image matches this preview of Fleet Street across Ludgate Circus, London, 1881 by John Crowther. In-game, the image has been edited to match the abandoned nature of the mansion, but if you zoom in close enough the watermark is quite clear.

According to the Design and Artists Copyright Society, paintings enter the public domain in the UK 70 years after the artist's death, but the reproduction of the painting could be copyrighted. In this case, the specific reproduction used in Reunion would belong to Getty, and you'd probably need to buy a license to reuse their image. A licensed version would have the watermark removed. Oops.

The image could be patched out by Square Enix at some point, so if you want to see it for yourself you can find it at the Shinra Manor towards the end of the game. If you're not already playing Reunion, we highly recommend that you do. In his review, Ed enjoyed the game's smaller scale, a hangover from its original debut on the PSP, and what the reintroduction of Zack could mean for part two of Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
So the Witcher 3 Next-gen upgrade is out for PC. I was gonna make a separate thread, but decided to just write here

Before you guys go update your games, I strongly advise against it. Because right now 90% of all mods are incompatible with the game. I tried several times on tweaking settings until finally giving up and deleting all mods, and pretty much launching the game in a clean state. Even then, the game is poorly optimized, with my beefy rig the game only reaches around 40-50 fps. And I'm not even using ray tracing.

It's like taking a beautiful wedding cake and dumping jelly beans all over it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Umm, and who's decision was it when xbox focused more on hardware, accessories, and game pass? You guys gonna blame those on sony too?
I mean, in fairness, being blocked from pivoting back to games is kind of a valid complaint

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, in fairness, being blocked from pivoting back to games is kind of a valid complaint
It would be if Microsoft didn't shoot themselves in the foot multiple times with a rocket launcher and BFG. So much for the power of Game Pass. Backwards compatibility is all they have left.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Maybe if Microsoft's philosophy in this industry was more constructive than, "When in doubt, buy them out" they wouldn't be stuck whining about their latest blunder.
What do you mean "Buy Studios, ?????, Profit" isn't a way to reap maximum profit? What are you, some kinda freedom hating commie?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
oh joy another trainwreck.
We'll see how it goes. I have made it in the past how I was never that big of a Lara Craft or Tomb Raider fan. Man do y'all have a rough right now, and I only wish the best of luck to the newer games. I do wish for the next new reboot of games, that they borrow less from Uncharted and stop with this whole conspiracy bull crap story lines. I really don't know what the writers were thinking for the two sequels in the reboot trilogy.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
We'll see how it goes. I have made it in the past how I was never that big of a Lara Craft or Tomb Raider fan. Man do y'all have a rough right now, and I only wish the best of luck to the newer games. I do wish for the next new reboot of games, that they borrow less from Uncharted and stop with this whole conspiracy bull crap story lines. I really don't know what the writers were thinking for the two sequels in the reboot trilogy.
I saw someone talking about the script rumors going around for the next Tomb Raider game and it all seemed to revolve around Lara training a bunch of other new Tomb Raiders and all signs pointed to the game being a set up for a multiplayer live service pile of dogshit. I have no hope. Especially after that last one, so they are gonna have to do some crazy shit to win me back tbh.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I saw someone talking about the script rumors going around for the next Tomb Raider game and it all seemed to revolve around Lara training a bunch of other new Tomb Raiders and all signs pointed to the game being a set up for a multiplayer live service pile of dogshit. I have no hope. Especially after that last one, so they are gonna have to do some crazy shit to win me back tbh.
Since it's still very early, I'll take those rumors with a grain of salt. I hope that is not true though. The franchise has gone through enough crap already. It's like Crash Bandicoot all over again, where the IP keeps getting shipped off to a new developer or publisher, ain't nobody knows what to do except make the thing it actually was before. At least Crash was finally able to bounce back. Ironic, as both are game properties from the mid-90s that made their debut on the PlayStation.

Developers, just make an action platforming third person shooter. It's not that complex. Don't make it Uncharted style, and do an actual throwback to the 3D games of the PS1, PS2, and early 360 and PS3 era. You can still have over the shoulder shooting, but give Laura the ability to do wield again and not just be at the end of the game. Nothing overly serious, nor put emphasis on "realism". Just make a fun ass game with actual tomb raiding and puzzles.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: FakeSympathy