General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I saw one of the smaller news items from the Sony thing is that Baldur's Gate 3 will be on PS5. That is interesting, I associate Baldur's Gate with hardcore PC RPG gaming and I haven't been following the developments with this new game which feels like it's been in some sort of early access forever.
People are upset because they feel like Sony got exclusivity on the game too. But the Devs came out and said that they felt the Xbox isn't selling enough to warrent extra dev time to put the game on that console and they don't wanna be part of Gamepass either. So they only ported to Playstation simply based off market share.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I saw one of the smaller news items from the Sony thing is that Baldur's Gate 3 will be on PS5. That is interesting, I associate Baldur's Gate with hardcore PC RPG gaming and I haven't been following the developments with this new game which feels like it's been in some sort of early access forever.
I am just glad PS5 owners don't have to deal with the early-access bullcrap. The launch was really rough, and all the major patches did add contents, but still nothing beyond act 1. No idea what it would've looked like on consoles.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am just glad PS5 owners don't have to deal with the early-access bullcrap. The launch was really rough, and all the major patches did add contents, but still nothing beyond act 1. No idea what it would've looked like on consoles.
I bought BG3 when it first became available, and it was rough. Plus updates took a long time to actually happen and I just forgot the game existed since it was never worth playing until whenever it would be finished. It's been 3 years now, and I kinda figure the game was gonna be another Star Citizen and never come out. They teased launch like four times last year too and it kept getting pushed back.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
WBD is new to this kinda gig. I’d imagine Ed is quite pissed.
As if people didn't know MK12 was gonna happen. It's not really that big of a news story tbh.

MK is probably waiting for the SF6 hype to die down a little. So they aren't competing against the biggest fighting game in the world.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, bad story won't be what does this game in. Arkham Asylum and City had dumb nonsensical stories, all things considered, but that was easy to overlook because presentation and gameplay were so laser focused on setting a mood and making you feel like Batman.

I don't see Suicide Squad doing the same.
At least Arkham Asylum & City had good ideas or did unique story beats. I agree with you on everything else, but the additional problem with Suicide Squad story, is that it's the typical the good guys have become evil, rogue, or are under mind control. So everything, including the bad gameplay, makes the bad and lazy story stick out even more.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As if people didn't know MK12 was gonna happen. It's not really that big of a news story tbh.

MK is probably waiting for the SF6 hype to die down a little. So they aren't competing against the biggest fighting game in the world.
Max just talked about this last night. Fighting games can't eat each other. They all know this. Especially given what happened in 2017.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Max just talked about this last night. Fighting games can't eat each other. They all know this. Especially given what happened in 2017.
Call it Respect then. Let SF6 have it's moment, then announce and start promoting MK12 after they launch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Call it Respect then. Let SF6 have it's moment, then announce and start promoting MK12 after they launch.
Developers like Capcom, Netherrealm, Arc System, Namco, and the other smaller budget fighting game devs have respect. WB? They don't give a damn about respect. Just greed. It's just one of the few times being greedy and pragmatic worked for them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I bought BG3 when it first became available, and it was rough. Plus updates took a long time to actually happen and I just forgot the game existed since it was never worth playing until whenever it would be finished. It's been 3 years now, and I kinda figure the game was gonna be another Star Citizen and never come out. They teased launch like four times last year too and it kept getting pushed back.
It's apprently going to get full release in August of this year. We'll see where that goes.

I'd personally give it a 50/50 chance it releases "on time" vs getting bumped to early next year.*

I want to play it but I'm waiting till the full release reviews come out. Being on a WRPG kick lately and liking D:OS2 makes me really hope it's good.

*Source: It came to me in a dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's apprently going to get full release in August of this year. We'll see where that goes.

I'd personally give it a 50/50 chance it releases now vs getting bumped to early next year.

I want to play it but I'm waiting till the full release reviews come out. Being on a WRPG kick lately and liking D:OS2 makes me really hope it's good.
I do actually want to play it because I love DnD. So hopefully it'll come out and be good.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
People are upset because they feel like Sony got exclusivity on the game too. But the Devs came out and said that they felt the Xbox isn't selling enough to warrent extra dev time to put the game on that console and they don't wanna be part of Gamepass either. So they only ported to Playstation simply based off market share.

I mean, if the cost of getting on Xbox is I have to put my new release game on Gamepass (which will immediately make it more or less free to my entire (for BG3) PC/Windows main demographic, it'd have to be a hell of a truckload of upfront money. Releasing on the freebie (obviously not completely free for the end user) side makes some sense as an indie upstart (ie Rocket Leagues initial swing on PSPlus) but not when you're working with your established "brand"

I've said it before though, Larian may well make a solid game. But the very conceptual foundation of a "Baldurs Gate 3" just screams pointless cash grab given how conclusively the saga ends. At best its a tradeoff of some integrity to get a bigger budget or access to the D&D license for something they wanted to do beforehand, but it reeks of Matrix 4-esque nostalgia grabs (except the Matrix was probably more open ended if they hadn't tried to recycle Neo)

AS far as it releasing on consoles being a surprise is? Not really. The current and last gen consoles are so computer architectured that they're basically just prebuilt PCs with a curated selection of games guaranteed to be compatible without fuss. Both Xbox and PS have had KB/M support for coming on 7 years now for anyone that is bothered by that. And all the other Enhanced Edition ones have been ported already (I remember waxing nostalgic about Neverwinter Nights being on PS4 lol, though of course it doesn't have the toolset which was the entire point)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
AS far as it releasing on consoles being a surprise is? Not really. The current and last gen consoles are so computer architectured that they're basically just prebuilt PCs with a curated selection of games guaranteed to be compatible without fuss. Both Xbox and PS have had KB/M support for coming on 7 years now for anyone that is bothered by that. And all the other Enhanced Edition ones have been ported already (I remember waxing nostalgic about Neverwinter Nights being on PS4 lol, though of course it doesn't have the toolset which was the entire point)
Not to mention the "CRPG" aspect doesn't really matter anymore as they've working out how to make a CRPG work just fine on a controller which is why a lot of traditionally PC-only games have started to see console releases, like Civilization, Divinity Original Sin, Hell the first two Balder's Gates are on console. And some RTS's have been made for console.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine who said World of Warcraft would never work on a console because there are too many buttons and menus and whatnot, and I just pointed at FF14 with a confused look on my face.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Not to mention the "CRPG" aspect doesn't really matter anymore as they've working out how to make a CRPG work just fine on a controller which is why a lot of traditionally PC-only games have started to see console releases, like Civilization, Divinity Original Sin, Hell the first two Balder's Gates are on console. And some RTS's have been made for console.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine who said World of Warcraft would never work on a console because there are too many buttons and menus and whatnot, and I just pointed at FF14 with a confused look on my face.

I mean, I played FF14 a bit (on some kind of trial or another). And mostly found that the auto-targeting kept selecting an enemy 100 metres away rather then ya know, the thing I was trying to fight.

Never had any trouble with the hotbar/skills though. As far as the other problem my buddy tried it on the KB/M and it was even worse lol

While it certainly takes learning, Monster Hunter's a pretty good counter example too. You can literally have 8 different hotbars in that game on controller and get to prettymuch any item in 2 motions, while sitll having an actual combat system across the control besides. Its probably overkill even since only the craziest bowgun users tend to do that lol

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyone else's hope completely squashed by the latest Suicide Squad extended gameplay trailer?

Why make it a game about shooting glowing purple balls off of mechanical turrets?

Whyyyy?
We can't make the bad guys too violent now, can we?
Have we not learned to turn away from hope and embrace cold despair?
I got plenty of other superhero/anti-hero games that are better than this. There is no despair for me.