Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
But we already tried something new with Hyper Scrape! And people hated it. We don't understand why people hated it so much!
-Ubisoft PR exec, probably
I don't even remember Hyper Scrape. There's probably a reason for that.

Oh, Fornite clone. That's why.

And it came out 2.5 years ago, shut down last year and it's already been forgotten. Jesus that's rough.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Duh, F is to pay respects. Obviously.
Dead Space 3 I think would need an entire gameplay redesign considering it's apparently built around co-op. I've never played it, just heard what others have said about it.
For sure, but I think it's concept has potential. An asymmetrical coop campaign where both players are physically in the same room, but don't experience events the same way, and neither player is aware of that, is a cool hook. But that also strikes me as extremely difficult to pull off in a way that doesn't break the illusion.
Broken lazy port of the shitty PS3 port of the shitty PS2 port of the GC original, but sure, "problem with the gameplay"

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Wasn't there some test footage of a New PoP that got canned? It looked interesting. So of course it got canned.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not really a news per se, but it's been just over two years since WB games patented the Nemesis System from their Shadow or Mordor/War games.

It has never been used again. Hmmm.....

View attachment 8102
I just talked about this in the worst character design thread. It's Namco patenting loading screen mini games all over again. Had it for 15 years and did nothing with it. To the point Namco forgot that they had it. So a lot of other competing developers and publishers got scared over nothing.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I just talked about this in the Hogwarts thread. It's Namco patenting mini games all over again. Had it for 15 years and did nothing with it. To the point Namco forgot that they had it. So a lot of other competing developers and publishers got scared over nothing.
Seriously. You'd think they would implement this in a new batman game or something; A bunch of criminals rising and falling in their ranks, some are moles sent by batman, or get out of prison due to having strong connections. I would play the crap out of a batman game based on that system

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I just talked about this in the Hogwarts thread. It's Namco patenting loading screen mini games all over again. Had it for 15 years and did nothing with it. To the point Namco forgot that they had it. So a lot of other competing developers and publishers got scared over nothing.
Sadly, I'm pretty sure they just do it to make sure nobody else can. Which is still pretty shitty.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This is probably true re: the Nemesis system.
But on the other hand, two years isn't that long of a time. It takes like 5 years or something to make one of these big games so who knows what could be in development or pre-planning.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sadly, I'm pretty sure they just do it to make sure nobody else can. Which is still pretty shitty.
Sterling talked about this back in 2021 as well.

takes like 5 years or something to make one of these big games so who knows what could be in development or pre-planning.
We already know: they're going to sit on their asses and do nothing with it. Even if they do something with the patent, it'll just be another Shadow of XYZ game. The only difference being either play the exact same as last time, or worse. Fuck off WBD. One more thing:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just talked about this in the Hogwarts thread. It's Namco patenting loading screen mini games all over again. Had it for 15 years and did nothing with it. To the point Namco forgot that they had it. So a lot of other competing developers and publishers got scared over nothing.
To be fair, Loading screens aren't a thing anymore. Or at least SHOULDN'T be a thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To be fair, Loading screens aren't a thing anymore. Or at least SHOULDN'T be a thing.
To be fairest of them all, we could have gotten plenty of interesting loading screen mini games back in the PS1 & PS2 era, than just Galaga. The wasted potential and creativity. Some games back in the day got around this, but it wasn't the same. Such a slicing off the now loading logo in DMC 3, or making the star icon going really fast in No More Heroes. The most unique one I can think of is Oneechanbara Bikini 👙 Samurai Squad (360), of all games. That has a fun little loading screen mini game, where you can slice up zombies. It was released way before the patent even expired. First during 2006 in Japan, then during 2009 in the West.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Nintendo: "I got Tears of the Kingdom, Pokemon DLC, coming out this year"

Sony: "I got gangs of Final Fantasy's coming out. 16, FF7Remake 2"

Xbox: "I got..........................Nintendo got Tears of the Kingdom."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Keef is a legend.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Ubi must've gotten jealous of seeing Acti-Blizz snaffle all the investigations.

Ubisoft Montpellier - the studio behind the extremely long-in-development Beyond Good & Evil 2 - is reportedly facing upheaval as it grapples with a labour investigation into "unprecedented" levels of employee stress and sickness, and the departure of its managing director.

As reported by Kotaku, Ubisoft Montpellier - perhaps best known for its work on the Rayman games under studio founder Michel Ancel, who departed in 2020 amid claims of toxic behaviour - is currently being investigated by Montpellier's Inspection du Travail due to an "unprecedented number of developers experiencing burnout and going on sick leave".

According to the website's sources, who were unauthorised to speak about the issue and wished to remain anonymous, "dozens" of Ubisoft Montpellier developers, including "many" leads, have taken extended leave for stress or sickness over the last year, with some choosing not to return - a situation leading to a visit from the French labour inspection office in December.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 Trailer - E3 2017.
Kotaku says that visit resulted in the hiring of a third-party entity, which has now been tasked with interviewing Montpellier employees to provide a full report on the health and wellbeing of the studio's teams - something Ubisoft has now confirmed.

"The health and wellness of our teams is an ongoing priority," the publisher told Kotaku. "Given the length of the development cycle with Beyond Good & Evil 2, the Montpellier development team is undergoing wellbeing assessments through a third-party for preventative measures and to evaluate where additional support may be needed."

As the Inspection du Travail continues its investigation of Ubisoft Montpellier, employees have reportedly been told that managing director Guillaume Carmona - who is said to have been absent from the studio since the start of this year - has now left the company. Carmona had been with Ubisoft for nearly two decades and became the head of its Montpellier studio in 2019.

Kotaku also highlights a number of other changes within the Beyond Good & Evil 2 team, with creative director Jean-Marc Geffroy having reportedly been replaced by the game's former associate director Emile Morel, while Charles Gaudron is now game director following the departure of Benjamin Dumaz.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 was first teased by Ubisoft in 2008 but wasn't heard of again until 2017, with new information on its progress arriving only sporadically since then. It's yet another troubled title for the embattled Ubisoft, which has only just managed to get The Settlers out the door after a tumultuous half-decade of delays, and is still struggling to release pirate adventure Skull & Bones after nearly ten years in development.

That project was recently delayed yet again as Ubisoft confirmed the cancellation of three unannounced games - on top of the four games cancelled last July - and a move to "increased cautiousness over the coming years" after disappointing financial results.
-

One more thing:

Hmm, I sense a possible tax avoidance/rebate swindle going on with their numbers. It is WB, after all.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Nintendo: "I got Tears of the Kingdom, Pokemon DLC, coming out this year"

Sony: "I got gangs of Final Fantasy's coming out. 16, FF7Remake 2"

Xbox: "I got..........................Nintendo got Tears of the Kingdom."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Keef is a legend.
"You know what I got comin' out this year? Tears of the Kingdom. Sounds like a Jay-Z album. Don't ask me why, it just does."
"It kinda do, I ain't gonna lie."

...y'know, I'm not gonna lie either, I agree.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
"You know what I got comin' out this year? Tears of the Kingdom. Sounds like a Jay-Z album. Don't ask me why, it just does."
"It kinda do, I ain't gonna lie."

...y'know, I'm not gonna lie either, I agree.
I'm not Hip enough with with Hop to understand this joke. But it's Keef so I bet it was fire.