Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ubi must've gotten jealous of seeing Acti-Blizz snaffle all the investigations.

Hmm, I sense a possible tax avoidance/rebate swindle going on with their numbers. It is WB, after all.
I think the only thing that shocks me about any of that is the idea they were actually working on it.

Just take it behind the shed Ubi and put it out of it's misery. Nobody wants to see the poor thing suffer anymore.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
For a second there, I thought we were still talking about planned Assassin's Creed.
Nah there's only 29 of those and 4 more rumored in development lol

(Last time the gang counted it out I think Resident Evil was winning with like 50 something games)

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This is rather specific and rather local news; I found it more interesting that it is from the public service broadcaster and largest TV station in Sweden SVT:
They warn that there will be a lack of 25 000 video game developers by 2031 in Sweden and a lack of 5 000 video game developers in the southernmost county of Skåne by their future estimate.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Someone may have woken Microsoft up. While there are so many bundles, services, freebies and giveaways out there, Gold went from offering 4 new games a month to just 2. Well, March 2024 they're offering 3.

I've had Gold and PS+ since around 2013 and after 10 years, (doesn't take me two decades to figure some things out!) I am ready to let Gold lapse. We'll see if they change my mind.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
This is rather specific and rather local news; I found it more interesting that it is from the public service broadcaster and largest TV station in Sweden SVT:
They warn that there will be a lack of 25 000 video game developers by 2031 in Sweden and a lack of 5 000 video game developers in the southernmost county of Skåne by their future estimate.
What does that mean?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I wonder when we are gonna see some announcement trailer or gameplay trailer? SGF 2023?
It’s a good strategy on BN/FROM’s part really. A simple announcement with a single image gets people intrigued, asking questions, developing theories, etc. Then release a trailer maybe a month or two from now with a release date (a safe estimate would probably be by late fall if we go by past DLC announcements>release dates and take into account this will be bigger with huge expectations).

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
What does that mean?
If you are asking me to translate the article, I've already given the key insights in my summary. Google Translate could be of use if you are more curious.

If you are asking me analyze the veracity of the news item, the analysis comes from the Swedish interest organization for game makers, so they obviously have bias in making sure they have a pool of talent available, and in general I am a bit doubtful about future predictions since a few bad years can upend a positive trend. Then again, it is possible that they have accounted for that, though when I read their latest report I see that there are currently about 8 000 video game developers in Sweden so I suspect they are being REALLY optimistic. Then again, they've grown with at least 11 % per year for the last 5 years, so extrapolating means a minimum of 18 000 developers by 2031. So I don't know.

If you are asking me what the overall impact will be, it will mean that either less video games will be developed in Sweden or more personell will be recruited abroad.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
If you are asking me to translate the article, I've already given the key insights in my summary. Google Translate could be of use if you are more curious.

If you are asking me analyze the veracity of the news item, the analysis comes from the Swedish interest organization for game makers, so they obviously have bias in making sure they have a pool of talent available, and in general I am a bit doubtful about future predictions since a few bad years can upend a positive trend. Then again, it is possible that they have accounted for that, though when I read their latest report I see that there are currently about 8 000 video game developers in Sweden so I suspect they are being REALLY optimistic. Then again, they've grown with at least 11 % per year for the last 5 years, so extrapolating means a minimum of 18 000 developers by 2031. So I don't know.

If you are asking me what the overall impact will be, it will mean that either less video games will be developed in Sweden or more personell will be recruited abroad.
I mean, what does "A lack of game developers by X date" mean?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
More on Diablo IV beta:

Now I don't think top-down isometric action games doesn't typically require too much specs for PC, but I'm rather surprised with how low the requirements are here. I mean these specs look like they are from 10 years ago. I'm questioning the quality of visuals and graphical fidelity

Reactions: BrawlMan