Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Now does this mean the game can still happen if it’s crowdfunded or find alternative funding? Because it doesn’t mention EA sending them cease and desist
From what I can tell he's basically giving up on it and EA is probably not gonna bring it back because it was never a huge moneymaker and probably can't be feasibly stuffed with MTX and Live services.

Don't get me wrong, I liked both Alice games but I'm not sure how a sequel would work. Madness Returns as already retreading a lot of ground from the first game except for retconning some of the backstory(and adding some creepy icky SA implications to boot).

I'd much rather have an easily purchasable and playable American McGee's Alice which is currently very difficult to get ahold of at this point to my knowledge...unless you just raise the skull and crossbones and play around with emulation a bit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I can tell he's basically giving up on it and EA is probably not gonna bring it back because it was never a huge moneymaker and probably can't be feasibly stuffed with MTX and Live services.

Now does this mean the game can still happen if it’s crowdfunded or find alternative funding? Because it doesn’t mention EA sending them cease and desist
EA, just fucking sell the license if you're not going to do anything with Alice! I'm not a fan of this unique franchise, but I know there's plenty of gamers from the late 90s and early 2000s who all care. You got Dead Space Remake and both Fallen Order, and its soon to sell great sequel (not a fan of the Dark Souls style gameplay, so no buy for me), to make money without the live service/MTX bullshit. Quit giving Alice and Faith the fucking shaft, and just make good games! Christ!

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
EA, just fucking license if you're not going to do anything with Alice. I'm not a fan of this unique franchise, but I know there's plenty of gamers from the late 90s and early 2000s who all care. You got Dead Space Remake and both Fallen Order, and its soon to sell great sequel (not a fan of the Dark Souls style gameplay, so no buy for me), to make money withouth the live service/MTX bullshit. Quit giving Alice and Faith the fucking shaft, and just make good games! Christ!
Me: Damn it EA, what are you doing?

EA: Everyone's mad here. You might have noticed I'm not all there myself...

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
EA, just fucking sell the license if you're not going to do anything with Alice! I'm not a fan of this unique franchise, but I know there's plenty of gamers from the late 90s and early 2000s who all care. You got Dead Space Remake and both Fallen Order, and its soon to sell great sequel (not a fan of the Dark Souls style gameplay, so no buy for me), to make money without the live service/MTX bullshit. Quit giving Alice and Faith the fucking shaft, and just make good games! Christ!
Just learn to let it go, sometimes that is all you can do at this point no matter how hard hardcore fans beg for it.

And just another day of potential toxicity between Sony and the niche fans of Neptunia, as always.

Oh here comes the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the fans again.

Blessed be KonradLeijon

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Pokemon has half a decade on Monster Energy, the hell are they thinking?
So from what I understand, in trademark law you have to proactively defend a trademark all the time, otherwise you can lose the trademark (ie some other copy would bring some product that's clearly copying monster enegry drink, then monster would sue them and the other company could say "well what about all these other case where monster was used and they didn't sue?"). So they're probably suing knowing full well they'll lose but they kinda have to.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
So from what I understand, in trademark law you have to proactively defend a trademark all the time, otherwise you can lose the trademark
Kinda sorta, and it's like that with all IP not just trademarking. Basically you're expeceted to take 'all reasonable' steps to protect/defend your IP. The trick being 'all reasonable' is super vague so some IP holders just end up being arseholes about it.

The real issue for corporations isn't having their IP invalidated it's some large stakeholder suing them and being taking away the IP rights for themselves.

Reactions: meiam

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The even funnier thing is Monster Hunter also has an "Energy Drink" consumable that predates that brand. But yeah some of that is down to the very vague and open ended "obligation to defend" to keep trademarks. If they don't get some legal clarification/precendet that they're distinct it could hypothetically hurt them down the road depending on the judges involved.

Anyhow, on to other bits of stupidity

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Wait, So they're removing always-online feature, but will still require denuvo, something that does need internet? What kind of backward-ass shit is this?
The even funnier thing is Monster Hunter also has an "Energy Drink" consumable that predates that brand. But yeah some of that is down to the very vague and open ended "obligation to defend" to keep trademarks. If they don't get some legal clarification/precendet that they're distinct it could hypothetically hurt them down the road depending on the judges involved.

Anyhow, on to other bits of stupidity

Reminds me a lot of Warcraft III reforged, really

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Wait, So they're removing always-online feature, but will still require denuvo, something that does need internet? What kind of backward-ass shit is this?
"This is the best game ever and all the pirates are going to want to pirate it so we'd better lock the game down tight. ...what do you mean, there's a gas leak in the building?"

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Reminds me a lot of Warcraft III reforged, really

Well if I understand right, Ark 2 got delayed so they decided to remaster Ark 1 for next gen consoles, but unlike most such editions they're charging full price for this graphical upgrade (I forget how the FF7:R one went but I believe even Square, a perennial no-sales forever company didn't try reselling it as a full game). Also its somehow more expensive then even usual AAA on Xbox and PC specifically.

(Granted, this has been done before, by GTA 5,)

Originally this remaster also included basically a pre-order for Ark 2, which is the part they ditched in that article.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Hey look more Remakes. Not mad about these though.
Chimpzy linked a Twitter post yesterday or Saturday. I'm definitely excited for a new Jet Set. Which is odd, because it's spiritual successor, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk comes out later this year. Here's hoping both are great. That would be the bigger better deal.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Chimpzy linked a Twitter post yesterday or Saturday. I'm definitely excited for a new Jet Set. Which is odd, because it's spiritual successor, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk comes out later this year. Here's hoping both are great. That would be the bigger better deal.
I'd love a new Persona game, even if it's the remake of 3. P3P is kind of bad, so if they modernize it, it could be a great game.

But P6 would also be cool since it's been 6 years since 5.