General Gaming News.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
More likely, the real reason Capcom decided to be a coward and not age Jill alongside her male costars is that in pop culture there’s nothing scarier than women aging like normal human beings. Look no further than the fact that Chun-Li’s character model in Street Fighter 6looks almost as young as she did in Street Fighter II. While we could chalk Chun-Li and Jill’s lack of aging to them being born with good genes (altered genes in Jill’s case) it’s pretty obvious that Capcom is hesitant to create more obviously aged renditions of its various female characters. Though Capcom could chalk up Chunner, Cammy, et al’s ageless appearance to Street Fighter’s admittedly messy timeline, it, much like Jill’s lack of aging, smacks of how a woman’s value in our society is closely tied to beauty and a youthful appearance. As much as it fails to surprise, it still sucks to see.

Well ultimately Capcom knows sex still sells and is all like -
View attachment 8434
Or just make new characters. 🤷‍♂️ Capcom bought themselves some time with the remakes, but eventually Jill is gonna have to age and Leon is gonna have to get rid of that stupid haircut.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Leon is gonna have to get rid of that stupid haircut.
Don't mess with the doo! Leon's hair is iconic for a reason!

Ya'll forget we just got Giant Lady?
Lady D is over 200 something years old and looks like she's in her mid-40s. Mold virus and all that sci-fi fantasy stuff. Plus, I think he means actual characters that are living, breathing, and are new. They don't die in their debut game, or die in their next game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Don't mess with the doo! Leon's hair is iconic for a reason!

Lady D is over 200 something years old and looks like she's in her mid-40s. Mold virus and all that sci-fi fantasy stuff. Plus, I think he means actual characters that are living, breathing, and are new. They don't die in their debut game, or die in their next game.
Then does Mia count? I mean it's not like the "human" characters are exactly normal either. Jill Valentine is some weird Wesker experiment according to the lore. Chris can punch boulders in volcanos and be fine. So like....they are making new characters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jill Valentine is some weird Wesker experiment according to the lore.
Jill was pretty normal until after she got captured by Wesker.

Chris can punch boulders in volcanos and be fine.
And before that, Leon could either suplex or roundhouse kick people's heads off. You can still do that in the remake, but at an even faster rate, if you have the 20% critical melee charm. Which I got earlier this week.

Then does Mia count?
She does count, but she won't be back for RE9. Yes, she still alive, but info leaks have already confirmed that the ninth game is going to be a new female protagonist, and that Jill is supposed to show up at some point. These things can change of course. Ada was supposed to show up in Resident Evil 8, but they decided to remove her early in development, because they didn't want anything interfering with Ethan's storyline. Plus, she really had no reason to be there.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There's Lady Masako from Ghost of Tsushima, but that's from a Western studio. I'm going to make it count anyway, because the Japanese love this game, and they did not have any complaints about a badass old lady.
Speaking of Ghost of Sushi, can we use it as the poster child proof that cultural appropriation isn't a real thing. It's a spin-off of generic outrage culture and typically the people who claim cultural appropriation, aren't apart of the culture they are claiming is being appropriated.

It's also highly selective. Washington Redskins is not okay, but Kansas City Chiefs is, despite "chief" being a much more commonly used derogatory term used for Native American people in all media I'm aware of.

She does count, but she won't be back for RE9. Yes, she still alive, but info leaks have already confirmed that the ninth game is going to be a new female protagonist, and that Jill is supposed to show up at some point. These things can change of course. Ada was supposed to show up in Resident Evil 8, but they decided to remove her early and development, because they didn't want anything interfering with Ethan's storyline. Plus, she really had no reason to be there.
Mia wont be there, but I thought they were going ahead to make their daughter the star of the next one. Which is still a new character.

I mean I understand people wanted new characters, but that's typically not what a franchise is for. Franchises become successful because people love the existing characters and want to see more of them. You don't often see long running TV shows completely swap out all the characters for the 7th season just "because". Even when a series shifts focus the fan favorite characters always have to make an appearance.

What would a Street Fighter game be without Ryu?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mia wont be there, but I thought they were going ahead to make their daughter the star of the next one. Which is still a new character.
The Winters family storyline ends with his daughter. That's all you'll ever see of that family ever again. Like I mentioned before in the leaks, they're getting a completely new protagonist that has nothing to do with the 7th or 8th game. That DLC is the last you'll see of any of them.

Speaking of Ghost of Sushi, can we use it as the poster child proof that cultural appropriation isn't a real thing. It's a spin-off of generic outrage culture and typically the people who claim cultural appropriation, aren't apart of the culture they are claiming is being appropriated.
I wouldn't go that far and it depends on who and what you're talking about. The keyboard warriors, regardless of the political spectrum, or Kotaku don't count for jack shit. You still have those in the entertainment industry that use black, African, or hip-hop culture, in some fashion take credit for it, or abandon it when it's no longer useful or becomes an inconvenience. This means you entertainment industry (especially on the music mainstream end), Mark Wahlberg, Miley Cyrus, Akwafina, and a few others. Then there's when some corporate douches try to take credit for a dance trend that was done on tick tock that was done by African Americans, and try to say they did it. It was quickly snuffed out and proving they were full of crap. They didn't even make a response and just try to quickly hide away from it.

And apparently DC is still messing up on either Asian cultures or Asian people within their own comic books. When it comes to animated adoptions, it's usually not an issue. This one I don't know as much about, and you're going to have to look up yourself or find more info. I'll try to look when I can.

It's also highly selective. Washington Redskins is not okay, but Kansas City Chiefs is, despite "chief" being a much more commonly used derogatory term used for Native American people in all media I'm aware of.
I remember that being a huge debate in the mid to late '90s. You do have a point there though. It's good thing I really hate the NFL.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The Winters family storyline ends with his daughter. That's all you'll ever see of that family ever again. Like I mentioned before in the leaks, they're getting a completely new protagonist that has nothing to do with the 7th or 8th game. That DLC is the last you'll see of any of them.
Seriously!? Dudde I was getting Hyped to be his daughter in the next game so i could fuck up zombies with mind powers!

I am DISSAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seriously!? Dudde I was getting Hyped to be his daughter in the next game so i could fuck up zombies with mind powers!

I am DISSAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!
Capcom even made a statement saying that this will be the end of the Winters story line with RE8, from the very beginning. They weren't kidding around.

Remember when Jake Wesker was supposed to be the next leading man for RE7? Where he would be Danteing it up in the Middle East? You don't remember? I don't blame you, if you don't remember.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> can we use it as the poster child proof that cultural appropriation isn't a real thing

No, the existence of one thing does not prove that an entire phenomenon isn't real

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No, the existence of one thing does not prove that an entire phenomenon isn't real
Even if it is real, it's just a label. How is it a problem?

White people making an inspired Japanese storyline might technically be appropriation, but was it bad?

Because here is the thing, if you are using culture to mock and insult then it isn't appropriation it's racism. Which is a different thing. But if a bunch of white people are wearing sombreros and listening to Mexican music at a Cinco De Mayo party. It's celebrating the culture and enjoying it, which might be appropriation, but how is that a problem? If anything it's cultural Appreciation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Even if it is real,
It is real, and it's not just a label for the sake of labeling. The outrage douche nozzles do not count. And like I said before, it isn't for you just you and only you to decide that.

How is it a problem?
Look at my previous post with those examples.

White people making an inspired Japanese storyline might technically be appropriation, but was it bad?
No it was not bad. The difference was is that Sucker Punch put their heart and soul into it, and to make sure that they were accurate as possible with just a few minor liberties here and there. They made sure that people actually acted like people. Not inappropriate caricatures, and not stereotypes. That's the difference.

But if a bunch of white people are wearing sombreros and listening to Mexican music at a Cinco De Mayo party. It's celebrating the culture and enjoying it, which might be appropriation, but how is that a problem? If anything it's cultural Appreciation.
That itself is not the problem and a majority of sensible people aren't going to complain about that. Once again, people aren't saying that's the problem. What would be the problem is if they mocked it cultural grandstanding, use racial slurs, or try to take the music as their own and not give where credit is due. Your cherry picking examples that don't work or don't fit. You're only picking examples know nothing dumbasses would actually complain about.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Even if it is real, it's just a label. How is it a problem?

Because here is the thing, if you are using culture to mock and insult then it isn't appropriation it's racism. Which is a different thing. But if a bunch of white people are wearing sombreros and listening to Mexican music at a Cinco De Mayo party. It's celebrating the culture and enjoying it, which might be appropriation, but how is that a problem? If anything it's cultural Appreciation.
If you seriously were interested in this, you could just Google/wiki this stuff. It's not mysterious or complicated, and you're a smart guy.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Re: the NFL teams, and this comparison that "well this thing is ok but this thing isn't?"
That is not a good faith argument. Who says that people that didn't like the Redskins name had no problem with the Chiefs name? Who are these people? This is bullshit internet arguing, creating a fictional "those" that you get to break down.

Chiefs is not more derogatory than Redskins- the latter is a literal racist insult. It's like ******, ok? The Washington Niggers, that's what millions of people heard.
Also worth noting that other teams changed. The Cleveland Indians logo was absurd, like something out of a sketch comedy show, and they changed.
More important is that it's not like there is the same group of critics and team owners. Like why didn't "they" change this before changing that? It's not the same they. It's not like there is a council of WOKE that sits there and prioritizes cultural changes at whim.

But.. you know that. Everybody knows that, and in order to air their butt-hurt grievances, act like they don't, and force the rest of us to explain it or listen to it and my god it's fucking exhausting.

If I'm salty it's because tonight I'm going to visit my folks for the weekend and be subject to an assault of such nonsense. Even worse is I have a younger sister and wife who is black, Latina and even "worse" an actual liberal arts professor so to them, we are basically the Council of Woke and I can't wait to hear complaints about why Everything Everywhere All At Once won a bunch of Oscars or whatever.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Normally I would wish such people the best of luck, how they couldn't do a thing against the upper management and their suggestions and idea probably were squshed.

But this guy WAS the upper management. He's the one who annouced cancelation of spilt-screen, and probably one of the people who decided how Halo Infinite came to be today.

Hope you are happy with ruining Halo, and just running away probably because you know things are only gonna go downhill from here

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker