Stalking the Digital Tundra

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It won't let me read without an account and I'm not doing that. That said, Sony can continue to screw off. I know this more than likely happened with all those live service games getting canceled. Also Twisted Metal can't seem to catch a break. I know there's a TV series, but Sony's been low balling at IP for years. We all know the reboot had a crappy single player campaign and thr multiplayer worked great. The multiplayer got way more play time than the single player. But that's what you get for making all your 3 main protagonists so detestable in the 2013 reboot.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
It won't let me read without an account and I'm not doing that. That said, Sony can continue to screw off. I know this more than likely happened with all those live service games getting canceled. Also Twisted Metal can't seem to catch a break. I know there's a TV series, but Sony's been low balling at IP for years. We all know the reboot had a crappy single player campaign and thr multiplayer worked great. The multiplayer got way more play time than the single player. But that's what you get for making all your 3 main protagonists so detestable in the 2013 reboot.
Here's IGN version

Honestly, I am kinda tired of the statement that goes along the lines of "This is a difficult decision, but it must be done for the future"

Also, I feel the three recent fuck-ups from Sony are overpricing PSVR2, being wat too optimistic about PS5, and the acquisition of Bungie and giving them way too much money just to see them fuck up.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"This is a difficult decision, but it must be done for the future"
What future? You don't give a damn about the future. You just keep seeing dollar signs and everybody else as faceless figures under you. Your future is going to look a lot worse if you don't get your heads out of your asses and just let people make good single player games. Get rid of the guy you brought in because he's just going to only make it worse. Board of directors, do actually something useful for once in your lives!

Also, I feel the three recent fuck-ups from Sony are overpricing PSVR2, being wat too optimistic about PS5, and the acquisition of Bungie and giving them way too much money just to see them fuck up
I wouldn't be surprised if VR, on PlayStation at least, takes a long break after what Sony did. Bungie even has their own screw ups with their board of directors and they keep firing people instead of actually paying them more. They keep thinking by slicing off everyone they'll save more money, but they actually are losing more and saving less by doing so. Those people that programs your games takes years of training and crafts, and not every new person is going to be a hot shot programmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Honestly, I am kinda tired of the statement that goes along the lines of "This is a difficult decision, but it must be done for the future"
It's done solely for the future of the execs' paychecks, because the shareholders care about nothing but ensuring that the line continues to go up.

Those people that programs your games takes years of training and crafts, and not every new person is going to be a hot shot programmer.
The money men only see video games as products, like any you'd manufacture on an assembly line, rather than works of art. And who cares about the artistic ability of hands on an assembly line?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
An article I encountered today that I found interesting about franchises that has not seen a release in at least ten years, despite being considered significant to some degree:

Det var orimligt länge sedan sist (msn.com)

Since it's In Swedish, I'll just copy-and-paste the list:
  • Bioshock
  • Castlevania
  • Crysis
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Duke Nukem
  • Infamous
  • Metroid Prime
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Rayman
  • Splinter Cell
I do consider it cheating to include Metroid Prime since I consider that to be part of the Metroid series where Dread was released 2½ years ago.
The same publication posted a follow-up article by another member of the same website:

Det var orimligt länge sen sist (2) (msn.com)

The list was as follows:
  • Rallisport Challenge
  • Syphon Filter
  • Killzone
  • Ridge Racer
  • Virtua Fighter
  • No One Lives Forever
  • Tenchu
  • Half-Life
  • Burnout
I find myself thinking "Were those that significant?" or "What was that?" on several of these titles. Might be because I don't play racing games. No One Lives Forever is also a series with just two entries which makes it hard for me to consider it a "series"; I mentally categorize that as "a game and a sequel".

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The AAA release schedule may end up a little anemic a year or two from now.
Well yes. 2023 was full of big releases and has had a lot of great games (and a lot of very expensive duds). Not least because all of the additional investment during the pandemic. But already in 2023 everyone started to size down again so ...

Honestly, same time last year i was somewhat hyped for half a dozen titles or expansions or full releases to come (and they all turned out well). Today i am somewhat interested in one. And that one is just a port.

Well, i still have a huge backlog.