Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yuzu is dead. They really flew too close to the sun with some of the stuff they did. From a legal standpoint Nintendo was in the right.

Nintendo can still fuck off into the sun tho.

That said, probably still best outcome for the wider emulation community. Had this actually gone to court, Nintendo could've gotten a ruling setting a precedent that would allow them to go after others (Dolphin, Cemu, Ryujing, Citra,...)

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
3DS emulator Citra is also dead as collateral of the Yuzu situation

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Chilling effect in action, wonder if it'll be pulled form online store too
It's because the Yuzu and Citra teams are largely the same team and founded by the same people, and Nintendo's lawsuit actually targeted Tropic Haze, a company that they had presumably set up to manage their respective patreons. Part of the settlement with Nintendo is an injunction that basically prohibits Tropic Haze and associated parties from working on emulators for Nintendo systems. Hence why Citra

Tho Citra is open source and already has several forks from folks unaffiliated with Tropic Haze, so there's a possibility someone else with continue the emulator under a different name.

And presumably be a lot more careful about stuff like putting versions tweaked to run unreleased games behind a paywall, putting up tutorials on how to rip proprietary encryption keys and advising to just pirate them if that's too difficult, and openly discussing having pirated games on their Discord.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yuzu is dead. They really flew too close to the sun with some of the stuff they did. From a legal standpoint Nintendo was in the right.

Nintendo can still fuck off into the sun tho.

That said, probably still best outcome for the wider emulation community. Had this actually gone to court, Nintendo could've gotten a ruling setting a precedent that would allow them to go after others (Dolphin, Cemu, Ryujing, Citra,...)
If Nintendo had spent one-tenth of this much effort making their old games easily available to legally purchase, imagine how much cash they'd be raking in.

Profiting off of an emulator aside, like Gabe Newell said: piracy is a service problem.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
If Nintendo had spent one-tenth of this much effort making their old games easily available to legally purchase, imagine how much cash they'd be raking in.

Profiting off of an emulator aside, like Gabe Newell said: piracy is a service problem.
Like, maybe an argument could be made that Switch is still a current system and games can often be played on emulators on day 1, sometimes even before release because of leaks. Yet, it's current now, but what about 10 years from now? 20? I don't see much objectionable in the means of preservation already existing. That these means can be abused is imo not a strong argument for them not existing.

Because Nintendo loses out on sales? Nintendo claims 1 million folks pirated TotK, supposedly because of Yuzu. I can believe the pirating bit. The Yuzu but not so much. But Nintendo also claims those are also 1 million lost sales. And that I don't believe at all.

I don't pirate, but as an emulation aficionado I hang in places frequented by pirates, and when I see pirates talking about what motivates them to pirate the vast majority, like at least 90+ percent, are motivated to do so because A) they plain don't want to pay for games, B) they can't afford it due to poverty and/or getting priced out due to regional pricing, or C) the game is either not easily or outright not available where they live.

A) won't buy TotK either way. B) probably can't. And C) probably can't either. So how many sales are actually lost there?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

I wonder if he’ll return any of the billions people spent on loot crate gambling before it was changed to a bannable offense per Steam’s recent CoC update.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder if he’ll return any of the billions people spent on loot crate gambling before it was changed to a bannable offense per Steam’s recent CoC update.
He's a libertarian techbro. So that would be no. Pretty sure Valve only self-regulates when they're afraid authorities would otherwise impose regulation.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Napoleon, actually. But I think Sun Tsu would've agreed.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've read that phrase in The Art of War. But since it's such a wise word, many leaders may have said it at one point.

Regardless, we can simply watch WB completely shoot themselves on the foot with this one. OR they succeed, and completely transition to mobile gaming market, and not release crap like SS: KTJL anymore at least on consoles and pc. Either way it's a win for us

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan