General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I guess the studio's dedication to the first game and how long they have been supporting it means jack shit to T2
In this case I think it's fair. The business heads come to you and go, "So what are you working on?" And the studio just shrugs, then you're out. It's not that complex.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So Xbox is hosting an indie gameshow. And to no one's surprise, these looks so good. I would say they look way more interesting than xbox 1st party games, but there is no contest as xbox have no games. Most of these are coming to PC as well.

Anyways, here are some of my favorite stand-out ones:
Thanks for compiling these!

The second looks prime to be a critical darling, and the third a steamer-boosted success (I'm assuming it's co-op).

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
In this case I think it's fair. The business heads come to you and go, "So what are you working on?" And the studio just shrugs, then you're out. It's not that complex.
True enough. And I guess the studio wasn't exactly bringing mints for doing so for such a long time. I mean GTA Online is 11 years old by this point, and R* isn't gonna shut it down anytime soon because of the shark cards people are buying. In fact, I imagine it being alive LONG TIME after GTA 6 comes out.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Some background -

In May 2017, Squad announced that the game had been purchased by video game company Take-Two Interactive, who will help support Squad in keeping the console versions up-to-date alongside the personal computer versions. An Enhanced Edition was released for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in January 2018, and for PlayStation 5and Xbox Series X/S in September 2021 by Private Division, a publishing subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive.[10][11] Two expansions for the game have been released as downloadable content: Making History in March 2018 and Breaking Ground in May 2019. A sequel, Kerbal Space Program 2, was released in Early Access on February 24, 2023.[12]
KSP2 is still in EA and now it looks like it will remain in EA.

The fans, from what I've seen, are pretty pissed right now and are giving up hope to ever see KSP2 finished or feature complete. Most of the promised features still haven't materialized, notably the colony building and other star systems that were a big selling point in the pre-release hype. Apparently the communication from the dev team has been pretty shitty as well the whole time.

I was really hoping pre-release that it would be good, but I held off buying it waiting for it to be promising enough to pay for it(as in something close to feature complete and stable) and it has yet to reach that point.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It sounded like the sequel was in early access, so definitely pretty far along being worked on. Maybe it was troubled though idk.

KSP2 is still in EA and now it looks like it will remain in EA.

The fans, from what I've seen, are pretty pissed right now and are giving up hope to ever see KSP2 finished or feature complete. Most of the promised features still haven't materialized, notably the colony building and other star systems that were a big selling point in the pre-release hype. Apparently the communication from the dev team has been pretty shitty as well the whole time.

I was really hoping pre-release that it would be good, but I held off buying it waiting for it to be promising enough to pay for it(as in something close to feature complete and stable) and it has yet to reach that point.
And now it clicks what you meant by EA. The other EA, yeah. Gg I’m slow but in my defense it’s been a long day.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
LRG once again showing us they ain't it

Mind you, they charge $60 and above for these 'limited' games. There's comments suggesting this is not their first offense.

Makes you wonder what the differences is between them and any of the folks making bootleg repros outside of charging 2-3 times as much)

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

“What's new is it's a new IP, so you know that we're going to be doing some things differently than we've done before, and obviously we had people who love the game both on the review side and people who liked it less,” Howard said.

“I think the majority of our reviews were in the 90s, which, look, that's great. I don't want to ever be in a world where that is not a great place to be in terms of critical reception, particularly in a year where there were so many amazing games out.

“But obviously, look, we see the feedback, we see a lot of players saying, this is what I want out of a Bethesda game, which is to explore a world in a certain way and Starfield didn't give me that, I prefer the way it's done in Fallout or Elder Scrolls. And perfectly understandable right, in terms of, hey this is a different experience."
OOOORRRRRR It could be because of the outdated designs, not-so-great writing, and pointlessly large in-game universe. There's a reason why people love to mod the crap out of FO or ES games

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

AAANNNNDDDD there it is. We just can't have nice things without any controversies, can we? I already have PSN account so it doesn't bother me too much, but I can understand why some players doesn't like this decision. Just hope this doesn't mean I have to have a PSN subscription

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

AAANNNNDDDD there it is. We just can't have nice things without any controversies, can we? I already have PSN account so it doesn't bother me too much, but I can understand why some players doesn't like this decision. Just hope this doesn't mean I have to have a PSN subscription
I dont understand what their problem is. Helldivers fucking told people they would need to link a PSN account from the beginning. There was just a functionality problem and it didn't work so rather than lock people out of the game they've let people play without it. But they always said the functionality would be required at some point and now is that time. You can be mad that the thing they TOLD you was coming has now arrived.

It that same whining that people had when games came only to Epic like a bunch of babies having to go to a different supermarket to get eggs.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I dont understand what their problem is. Helldivers fucking told people they would need to link a PSN account from the beginning. There was just a functionality problem and it didn't work so rather than lock people out of the game they've let people play without it. But they always said the functionality would be required at some point and now is that time. You can be mad that the thing they TOLD you was coming has now arrived.

It that same whining that people had when games came only to Epic like a bunch of babies having to go to a different supermarket to get eggs.
A few weeks ago I had to go to a different store to get eggs but they were worse eggs. Paler, smaller, less taste... blech.

This is not some point about Helldivers, I just take my eggs seriously.

But... your point (about the messaging not the eggs) makes me wonder how many players actually follow that stuff? I mean sure the company said this but who actually pays attention to that?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A few weeks ago I had to go to a different store to get eggs but they were worse eggs. Paler, smaller, less taste... blech.

This is not some point about Helldivers, I just take my eggs seriously.

But... your point (about the messaging not the eggs) makes me wonder how many players actually follow that stuff? I mean sure the company said this but who actually pays attention to that?
It's like when there is a TOS and you just scroll to the bottom and hit accept so you can play already. It's not their fault you don't read that shit.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Yeah, again as long as I don't have to have PSN subscription I am totally fine with this. My criticism was towards people who want to make this way bigger deal than it actually is.

Although, I do think the outrage comes from people wanting the "centralized" experience of where they buy and play the games. If it's requiring yet another launcher I probably would've jumped on the hate wagon, but it's a simple linking to PSN account.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Although, I do think the outrage comes from people wanting the "centralized" experience of where they buy and play the games
The PC is an open market you should not have any expectation of having a "centralized" buying and playing experience. Except for the fact that it is centralized to the PC itself, so it's not like you have to drive across town to a different game's store or something. It's an entirely silly argument that holds no real ground.

If you wanted a real centralized Experience then you should stick to one single console and nothing more, because that's the only way to remain in a single centralized consumer system.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of news that nobody wanted, Tomb Raider is going open-world. https://insider-gaming.com/new-tomb-raider-game-to-be-open-world-its-claimed/
This is technically not new for the franchise, as the first game to the reboot series has a semi open world or open zones. I have no strong feelings one way or the other on this, but for the fans at least I hope the game is good. Have fun with the tone and don't be super serious like last time. Enough of the on dark please take me seriously games from 7th generation. A majority of them are not good and are stuck on that console for a specific reason.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The PC is an open market you should not have any expectation of having a "centralized" buying and playing experience. Except for the fact that it is centralized to the PC itself, so it's not like you have to drive across town to a different game's store or something. It's an entirely silly argument that holds no real ground.

If you wanted a real centralized Experience then you should stick to one single console and nothing more, because that's the only way to remain in a single centralized consumer system.
Aside from the forced PSN account creation, other complaints people are raising are:
  • PSN being a very unstable network in the first place
    • Especially when it comes to bans
  • PSN not being available in some regions
  • The devs are shifting the blame on Sony
    • Apparently for easier banning?
  • The CM over on the discord basically telling everyone "Don't like it? Ask for refund"
And so on. Maybe it's because I haven't interacted with PSN for quite some time now, but I really hadn't had a issue with it. The last one I do have to agree is kinda terrible; Yes, it is a legit option, but they make it sound antagonistic

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It's like when there is a TOS and you just scroll to the bottom and hit accept so you can play already. It's not their fault you don't read that shit.
Unless speed reading is a honed skill, by the time anyone reads that shit, they won’t even be interested in the actual game anymore. Suits realize this, and that’s why the *important* stuff for consumer rights is buried within a shitton of legal bs. Pretty soon they will do this for more than just entertainment products. Buying a house, for example. If they don’t give you a chance to take that manuscript mortgage agreement home to look over before signing, run!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Aside from the forced PSN account creation, other complaints people are raising are:
  • PSN being a very unstable network in the first place
    • Especially when it comes to bans
  • PSN not being available in some regions
  • The devs are shifting the blame on Sony
    • Apparently for easier banning?
  • The CM over on the discord basically telling everyone "Don't like it? Ask for refund"
And so on. Maybe it's because I haven't interacted with PSN for quite some time now, but I really hadn't had a issue with it. The last one I do have to agree is kinda terrible; Yes, it is a legit option, but they make it sound antagonistic
Who cares about bans. Dont be a jackass to people. It isnt that hard to not get banned. PSN is not that unstable and no more unstable than any other online game service.

These are just empty excuses to throw a hissyfit.

Reactions: FakeSympathy