General Gaming News.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Calling it now: Hades 2 will be the GOTY winner.

This is "news" related because there's all sorts of positive reception to Hades 2. Now of course this was expected: Hades is beloved, SuperGiant always delivers on quality.

But what's really impressive is that even with all the high expectation it's still surprising and impressing. It seems to be both more of Hades but also different enough to be intriguing.

And unlike Hellblade 2 or FF7:rebirth or Dragon's Dogma 2 I can't imagine any pushback, any reason to crap on it. It's not going to have "no gameplay," or bullshit microtransactions or bloated wasteful content.

Personally while I liked Hades I also just can't deal with rogueli*es and would have preferred SuperGiant to move on to something else but there isn't enough of the media/critical/twitchtube gamer culture that will agree with me on this. And even that is just personal preference not a complaint or criticism. I'm still pleased for SuperGiant and Hades' fans.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Calling it now: Hades 2 will be the GOTY winner.

This is "news" related because there's all sorts of positive reception to Hades 2. Now of course this was expected: Hades is beloved, SuperGiant always delivers on quality.

But what's really impressive is that even with all the high expectation it's still surprising and impressing. It seems to be both more of Hades but also different enough to be intriguing.

And unlike Hellblade 2 or FF7:rebirth or Dragon's Dogma 2 I can't imagine any pushback, any reason to crap on it. It's not going to have "no gameplay," or bullshit microtransactions or bloated wasteful content.

Personally while I liked Hades I also just can't deal with rogueli*es and would have preferred SuperGiant to move on to something else but there isn't enough of the media/critical/twitchtube gamer culture that will agree with me on this. And even that is just personal preference not a complaint or criticism. I'm still pleased for SuperGiant and Hades' fans.
I don't think it can reasonably be nominated this year unless it fully releases. Right now it's only early access and if they give GOTY to an early access game, then the award loses what little credibility it has. Hades 2 is fantastic, but it's incomplete and that's not right to award it with anything besides like "best up and coming".

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I don't think it can reasonably be nominated this year unless it fully releases. Right now it's only early access and if they give GOTY to an early access game, then the award loses what little credibility it has. Hades 2 is fantastic, but it's incomplete and that's not right to award it with anything besides like "best up and coming".
ok... I wasn't thinking about any of that... it will win A GOTY if not the next one, then. I mean unless the full releases comes out the same year as GTA6 or something but I just cannot imagine a game that is going to be as well-received as Hades 2 in the next year or two. It's going to be the next Baldur's Gate 3.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
As much as Hades II is looking so good right now, TGA GOTYs definitely tend to lean towards AAA games, games that generated massive hype before the release. Right now we have FF7: Rebirth, annnddd..... I honestly can't remember another AAA game that has been released that reached same amount of status as FF7: Rebirth.

I do think FF7: Rebirth is gonna win GOTY by landslide, because all the upcoming AAA games look kinda mediocre; I mean can you honestly say you see SW: Outlaws, AC Shadows, or that Indiana Jones games beating FF7: Rebirth?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As much as Hades II is looking so good right now, TGA GOTYs definitely tend to lean towards AAA games, games that generated massive hype before the release. Right now we have FF7: Rebirth, annnddd..... I honestly can't remember another AAA game that has been released that reached same amount of status as FF7: Rebirth.

I do think FF7: Rebirth is gonna win GOTY by landslide, because all the upcoming AAA games look kinda mediocre; I mean can you honestly say you see SW: Outlaws, AC Shadows, or that Indiana Jones games beating FF7: Rebirth?
This is correct :D

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Yeah, even if this is remotely true (and that's saying something), there's no way Valve is gonna bend over. This is gonna be just like that time MS tried to acquire Nintendo; All it's gonna get them are mockery and embarassment

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Yeah, even this is remotely true (and that's saying something), there's no way Valve is gonna bend over. This is gonna be just like that time MS tried to acquire Nintendo; All it's gonna get them are mockery and embarassment
Yup, GabeN didn’t leave Microsoft just to eventually have his brainchild money printer get swallowed up and shat out by them.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Stray was nominated for GOTY, and everybody hates AAA publishers right now.

Look my prediction isn't that serious especially to the point of it being early access that was made but Hades 2 will have ZERO serious negative criticism. Rebirth- yeah, it's popular, and yeah, it's good, but it also "forced" reviewers to play a fuckton of side missions many of which are annoying so there is a hit to it. All I'm saying is that Hades 2 so far looks like the only game in a while that's likely to have only positive accolades.

I have no idea how Outlaws will be, so far I've only seen pew pew and cut scenes which is a big *yawn* for me and mostly it's getting crap for its pricing. AssCreed will be AssCreed- nominated for music or whatever, of course it'll never win serious awards that's not what AssCreeds are for. Indy Jones frankly looks like butt to me I agree I don't see it making any impact, a year after it comes out we'll be like "remember that Indiana Jones game?"

All of which is the perfect time for a beloved indy to become champion, an indy that exceeds even the highest expectation from a beloved developer, in a year where gamers and critics are eager to reward indy games.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Stray was nominated for GOTY, and everybody hates AAA publishers right now.

Look my prediction isn't that serious especially to the point of it being early access that was made but Hades 2 will have ZERO serious negative criticism. Rebirth- yeah, it's popular, and yeah, it's good, but it also "forced" reviewers to play a fuckton of side missions many of which are annoying so there is a hit to it. All I'm saying is that Hades 2 so far looks like the only game in a while that's likely to have only positive accolades.

I have no idea how Outlaws will be, so far I've only seen pew pew and cut scenes which is a big *yawn* for me and mostly it's getting crap for its pricing. AssCreed will be AssCreed- nominated for music or whatever, of course it'll never win serious awards that's not what AssCreeds are for. Indy Jones frankly looks like butt to me I agree I don't see it making any impact, a year after it comes out we'll be like "remember that Indiana Jones game?"

All of which is the perfect time for a beloved indy to become champion, an indy that exceeds even the highest expectation from a beloved developer, in a year where gamers and critics are eager to reward indy games.
That's fair, I don't care about Indie's winning GOTY they should be able to if they are good enough. I just simply don't count Hades 2 as an option because it's only early access. If they fully release it before the end of the year, then it's fair game.

Otherwise maybe it's just a GOTY-contender next year.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Something about that last statement doesn’t make sense.

Also, how sad is it that not having MTX is considered newsworthy these days?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Something about that last statement doesn’t make sense.

Also, how sad is it that not having MTX is considered newsworthy these days?
There are microtransactions, but it's for costumes only. I appreciate the effort, but it's the equivalent of saying "No, but yes". The MTX won't hurt the overall gameplay balance. Evil West has 1 piece of comsmetic DLC, but it comes with the game, if bought new. Call it what is Focus. I know game will be good, but come off the light bullshit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Character Trailers of Night Slashers Remake

Vengeance Hunters

Abyss X Zero - 3D Metroidvania

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mecha-Hussain as the final boss, or I skip the game!
What would you have, if he does appear? What next?

Also, they're a really playing up to the "don't be mindless sheep, be a wolf" analogy and catering to paranoid and conspiracy heavy far right. No thank you, and fuck off Activision/MS for still continuing this "time honored tradition".

They should have called it.

Call of Duty: Another One.
Exactly! I am playing better shooters than this right now and forever more.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
What would you have, if he does appear? What next?
First I would’ve laughed, commenting on whether they are serious with this.

Then I would’ve not bought the game either way, because no way im paying full price for the repeated crap