General Gaming News.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Frost continues to shake his fist at the "systemic issues" plaguing Second Wind.
Not that you'll find out what those are from reading any of this:

Either you die a grifter or you live long enough to become a professional grifter.
Wweeellll....

Here's my thinking fwiw as someone who is literally wearing a Second Wind founder t-shirt right now, am a Patreon subscriber (lowest tier), and have enjoyed Frost's presence to that outlet. But I am not in the Discord channels which is where all of the real outreach communication happens.

My instinct is to dismiss Frost's reaction as exaggerated or overblown. However... Nick does self-admittedly go off a bit too much on Xitter, which is not a good sign. There are apparently accusation of "doxing" someone I never heard of but it seems to me like one of those internet fights where everyone involved is kind of an asshole anyway so *shrug*

Nothing from the rest of the guys- and here I'm talking about the Second Wind owners which are Omar (who does production stuff), Marty, Jack, and Yahtzee have given me any reason to doubt their integrity or good intention. I'm guessing Yahtzee is just "let me do my videos and stuff and leave me alone" so whatever. Jack Packard is the "self-appointed HR" that Frost is talking about (Jack has explained this via Patreon feed).

Basically, they and Nick explained that they gave him like an intervention on his social media behavior, with Nick agreeing it was valid and a commitment to do better which has been the case for like a month or so. At this point, not knowing anything about Nick's life before Escapist, I'm down for giving the dude the benefit of the doubt, he screwed up, social media has definitely made better people behavior worse, and leave it at that.

If Frost makes a video proving serious asshole behavior with Nick that would mean the rest of the dudes are ok with it and it would change my mind I guess, I'm open to it, but it would be pretty surprising because it would also essentially condemn the whole team. I mean it would mean the Nick is this jerk of a boss and yet all these dudes went on the line to start a whole company with him... it feels like a stretch. But who knows *shrug*

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If Frost makes a video proving serious asshole behavior with Nick that would mean the rest of the dudes are ok with it and it would change my mind I guess, I'm open to it, but it would be pretty surprising because it would also essentially condemn the whole team. I mean it would mean the Nick is this jerk of a boss and yet all these dudes went on the line to start a whole company with him... it feels like a stretch. But who knows *shrug*
From what I've seen the hatred of Nick Calandra goes quite a bit further back than Second Wind and even The Escapist. Should be interesting what Frost's "evidence" from others in the industry will be.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Capcom has been releasing series of videos regarding Monster Hunter Wilds

I can only assume they'll showcase all weapon types, then maybe show more on the actual monsters, hub area, how co-op works, carrying two weapons, etc

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They are. Hence all the people being laid off and studios closing down.
Yet Sony and Microsoft are still here. I know all that. It sucks all these people got laid off, but they are not to blame of course. The idiots at top who thought they can make all the money in the universe are the blame, yet almost none of them will face any type of repercussions.

All I wonder is that if there's any other new people at the top that come into this industry who will make the same mistake again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

At first I thought this sounds like a right direction, but then I remembered after EA lost the exclusivity deal for SW games the first game that's coming out is Outlaws.

So it's up in the air, and we'll most likely see equal number of good and crappy games
Not to mention, all of the possible exploitative season passes and DLC bullshit. I am not trusting WB on anything and I am not even hyped. Fuck'em.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Uh-oh. It's not all doom and gloom, as there's a sequel to Control happening and Max Payne remakes are a go.

09.08.2024 14:40
Evgeny Obedkov
Alan Wake 2 has yet to generate royalties, Remedy forms new team to manage its game portfolio
Tags:
Alan Wake 2
Remedy Entertainment

Remedy Entertainment has reported its financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2024. The Finnish studio also provided an update on games in its development pipeline.

Remedy's Q2 report: Alan Wake 2 has yet to generate royalties, new team formed to mange game portfolio

Alan Wake 2

Financial highlights
According to its H1 report, Remedy reached €10.3 million in revenue in the second quarter, up 16.2% year-over-year. Its first-half revenue grew 33.7% to €21.1 million.
Operating loss was €3.2 million, an improvement from €4.8 million in Q2 2023. H1 loss reached €5.3 million, compared to €10.4 million in the same period last year.

• Development fees from partners were the main source of revenue in the second quarter, accounting for 91% of the total. This is mainly to higher fees from the Max Payne 1&2 remake, which is developed in partnership with Rockstar.
  • Royalties from sales of already released games (mainly Control and Alan Wake Remastered) amounted to just €912k in Q2.
  • Remedy has yet to see revenue from Alan Wake 2.
  • According to CEO Tero Virtala, Alan Wake 2 "did not yet generate royalties."
  • The game was fully funded by Epic Games, and Remedy will be entitled to 50% of net revenue after the Epic fully recoups its investment. As of February 2024, AW2 sold 1.3 million copies globally, meaning it was still not enough to generate revenue for the studio.
  • In March, Virtala told investors that Alan Wake 2 "has already recouped a significant part of the investments made by Epic Games Publishing, and we expect the game to be a meaningful revenue and profitability driver for the year."
  • The game's budget remains undisclosed, but Finnish analysts estimated the total at €70 million, of which €50 million were development costs.
  • Games in development and future plans
  • In May, Remedy canceled Project Kestrel (originally codenamed Vangaurd), a free-to-play multiplayer game that was co-financed by Tencent. According to Virtala, "this brought increased focus and better development synergies and enabled us to move experienced developers into other game projects."
  • In addition to supporting Alan Wake 2 and developing The Lake House expansion, Remedy has three games in its pipeline:
  • Codename Condor (4-player co-op spin-off to Control) — now in full production*, the team has worked on several maps and mission types, as well as organized internal and limited playtesting;
  • Control 2 — went from the proof-of-concept stage to the production readiness stage*, with the team reaching an "important milestone in delivering a build of the game that showcased several important features in playable form";
  • Max Payne 1&2 remake — now in full production, with Remedy saying that the team "has been working towards developing the game to an early functional state from beginning to end while focusing on key differentiating gameplay features."

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

So after all that effort to develop OW2, after all those years of programming 5v5 instead of 6v6, and all those years of telling players this is the new meta, they are going back to the format of OW.

Granted that's not the only thing wrong with OW2, and simply going 6v6 doesn't exactly make it like the first game, but I find it hilarious that the devs are giving in here.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Japan gets the cool merch -

1723229047195.jpeg1723229000569.jpeg

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
@Ezekiel, Max Payne 1&2 Remakes are happening! I hope you're happy.
Why would I be? They'll make Mona black and less seductive, remove the Italian stereotypes, screw up the tone and possibly ruin the structure by combining 1 and 2. Enemies still won't shoot-dodge.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

So after all that effort to develop OW2, after all those years of programming 5v5 instead of 6v6, and all those years of telling players this is the new meta, they are going back to the format of OW.

Granted that's not the only thing wrong with OW2, and simply going 6v6 doesn't exactly make it like the first game, but I find it hilarious that the devs are giving in here.
What a spectacular farce OW turned out to be. Crazy to think of all the other hero shooter that died going against it, just for it to kill itself (gimme back battleborn)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why would I be? They'll make Mona black and less seductive, remove the Italian stereotypes, screw up the tone and possibly ruin the structure by combining 1 and 2. Enemies still won't shoot-dodge.
I highly doubt any of that. How about waiting till a trailer pops up?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Uh-oh. It's not all doom and gloom, as there's a sequel to Control happening and Max Payne remakes are a go.

You know, I am seeing some comments that this is because Sweet Baby Inc. was involved. I'm pretty sure it's because of EGS exclusive, but I digress

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You know, I am seeing some comments that this is because Sweet Baby Inc. was involved. I'm pretty sure it's because of EGS exclusive, but I digress
SBI did nothing wrong, and all they did was some racial and culture consulting (Saga Anderson) and that is it. Remedy has pointed this out and told people to screw off on this.

You damn right this happened, because AW II is an EGS exclusive. Now only that, but the game has the highest production budget Remedy has ever done. Unfortunately, they couldn't make back that entire profit, because of said high budget.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Great news: Tango Gameworks has been acquired by Krafton Inc., HF Rush included!

Hell the fuck yes! Saving the studio is one thing, but a whole IP is something else. We rarely see that happening nowadays

Reactions: BrawlMan