General Gaming News.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well this is very disappointing. The saddest part is how hard Nick railed against GamerGate while apparently engaging in the practices that GamerGate was fighting against in games journalism. His actions of selling reviews and good press for money, swag, and jobs are part of the reason people don't trust games journalism anymore and prefer to listen to youtubers and twitch streamers.
I don't think those are any less susceptible to bribes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
listen to youtubers and twitch streamers.
I don't think those are any less susceptible to bribes.
Yet, as we've seen, YouTubers or Streamers aren't much better or tend to be in deeper and much worse shit usually. You got the ones trying to appeal to the alt-right for clout/clicks to varying degrees to success. Or go to the alt-right when washed up or getting found out they were trying to get into a teenage girl's pants (Dr. Disrespect). Then you got people like ReviewTechUSA who always fed off of tabloid, clickbaitings, and constantly lying actions finally catching to him. I know there are good people out there, but both YouTube and Twitch either enabled too many of these assholes or looked the other way depending the view #s or subscriber #s they brought in. And will do something about it when the problem is too big to ignore and try to wash their hands of it the majority of the time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The Nick situation doesn't surprise me, but what does is how Yahtzee seems to roll with it because he would rather a dickhead like Nick run the business side of things (so long as Yahtzee gets the biggest payday) just in the name of not being bothered with it. In reality Yahtzee could run his own channel and Patreon and making just as much or more without having to deal with Nick or anyone else.

Hell let his wife run the social media part of it while Yahtz just makes content.

Not to mention think of the easy Patreon tiers.

1. Early access to ZP videos.
2. Beta codes for games he makes.
3. An annual vote for a GOTY ZP "as voted by my crazy fans who don't know anybetter" Or something humorous like that.
4. Book previews.
5. Voting on game's Yahtz reviews next (limited again to 1 a year).

He'd make a fucking killing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Well it seems we can never trust any of the online personnel to be true to themselves and their followers. Granted this is probably nothing new, but there's a difference between hiding their mundane, boring personality vs hiding the mean and cruel side. Also sometimes they just let the fame get in their heads and become dickheads.

Believe it or not, I used to watch both ReviewTechUSA and The Quartering because they gave honest and fair opinions. But no, they saw engaging in internet drama attracted views and became slaves to it. I sometimes check out their channels, and while RTU seems to sort-of readjust his content to focus more on gaming industry once again, Quartering is still rambling on criticising anything political and woke-related. It's disgusting.

Mr. Beast I thought was one of the more nicer people on YouTube, but now his antics have been revealed.

Folks over at Roosterteeth tried to hide all their bullshits and called critics "haters", and it lead to their downfall.

Boogie used to be funny, but he thought lying his way to fame was a good idea.

It's just.... Can we please get online figure that doesn't have any of all this? I think PewdiePie is one of the last ones left, and he also made blunders in the past

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Also, a new AoE mobile game.

Assuming the gameplay is real and not one of those fake mobile game ads, it actually looks decent, and stands out from all those crappy settlement-building-and-battle games that seems to be oversaturated in the market

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The Nick situation doesn't surprise me, but what does is how Yahtzee seems to roll with it because he would rather a dickhead like Nick run the business side of things (so long as Yahtzee gets the biggest payday) just in the name of not being bothered with it. In reality Yahtzee could run his own channel and Patreon and making just as much or more without having to deal with Nick or anyone else.

Hell let his wife run the social media part of it while Yahtz just makes content.
I think you are underestimating the job that goes into running everything. And without speculating too much about his wife, could you not see that there might be some stress involved in being the face of a venture that regularly insults gamers or fans of particular video games? In particular if you are a woman. Besides, she already has a job in real life.

I could see him going solo and hiring someone to run all of the things he does not wish to do, though.

Regarding the whole Nick situation: I don't have much to say. The only thing that I don't think has been brought up: could Frost be lying or exaggerating? I am not accusing him, I'm just saying that we have just one side of the story, and biases tend to favor people we already like, and Frost had a video series I am sure plenty of people watched.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think you are underestimating the job that goes into running everything. And without speculating too much about his wife, could you not see that there might be some stress involved in being the face of a venture that regularly insults gamers or fans of particular video games? In particular if you are a woman. Besides, she already has a job in real life.
There is no reason why people would even have to know his wife was doing anything. And also it's quite disingenuous to assume she would be attacked for being a woman. Gamers aren't a force of evil that pounces on every female that dares appear online despite what the professional victim mongers would like you to think.

Furthermore there are solo people who run channels and patreons all over the internet, there is no reason why Yahtzee couldn't also do it himself. Or at very least pay an independent editor the way the bigger people like CohhCarnage, Maxamillion_Dood, and Asmongold do. And all those creators make way more content every week than Yahtzee ever has.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
think PewdiePie is one of the last ones left, and he also made blunders in the past
Fuck him. That guy used the N word with the hard R on purpose, and wasn't being "ironic". Even if he was, that's still a big no.

Believe it or not, I used to watch both ReviewTechUSA and The Quartering because they gave honest and fair opinions. But no, they saw engaging in internet drama attracted views and became slaves to it. I sometimes check out their channels, and while RTU seems to sort-of readjust his content to focus more on gaming industry once again, Quartering is still rambling on criticising anything political and woke-related. It's disgusting.
RTUSA I cannot watch anymore because he encouraged the harassment and death threats to a user named Yoshiller at the E32014. For the crime of wearing a yoshi hat in an interview! The guy didn't act like a jerk nor acted rude at the person that was interviewing him. Rich and sycophant echo chamber thought Yosh would give gamers a bad name. These fools are unaware of the irony. Also, RTUSA Had a problem of lying even back when he started in 2005 apparently.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
And also it's quite disingenuous to assume she would be attacked for being a woman. Gamers aren't a force of evil that pounces on every female that dares appear online despite what the professional victim mongers would like you to think.
I assume she would be attacked and being a woman would be something that people would bring up against her person. And I know that gamers aren't a force of evil; anonymous posters on the Internet do work off of a lizard brain mentality however.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I assume she would be attacked and being a woman would be something that people would bring up against her person. And I know that gamers aren't a force of evil; anonymous posters on the Internet do work off of a lizard brain mentality however.
It's just weird that that is thhe first place you go when i mentioned Yahtzee and his wife working together is all. And it didn't make any sense.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
It's just weird that that is thhe first place you go when i mentioned Yahtzee and his wife working together is all. And it didn't make any sense.
Back when Cracked.com still made good articles I was a regular reader and regular commenter, and I was impressed by how well behaved the comment section was, with its own in-jokes and thoughtful commentary. I was therefore greatly surprised when I found out that the editor in chief was considering nuking it. Going to their discussion made me realize why I thought the comment section was so well behaved: the editor went through the posts to remove anything that would be a violation. And I could see how it tore him down, how he started with a jokey comment about a violation until he had to wade through all the slog that anonymous people on the Internet produce over the years until I could tell he was worn out. After that I've been very wary on the notion of being the one that has to be the face of an outlet. That is the person that people on the lizard brain shout at when they are upset.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The boldest claim here is that Nick was either taking bribes for positive coverage or not disclosing sponsorships, something that Frost doesn't account for here, but he's stated in the Discord chat that he has the evidence to prove it. And as far as I'm concerned all bets are off until he does.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yahtzee et al comment on the matter.

RDT_20240815_1441181239427784732791646_(1).jpg
Screenshot_20240815-144937_(1).pngScreenshot_20240815-144943_(1).png

EDIT: I'm not gonna screencap everything but 9 of the 11 owners have pronounced themselves (the 2 Aussies are asleep) and they all support Nick, while at most conceding past personal grievances that have been ironed out or are being worked on.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's just.... Can we please get online figure that doesn't have any of all this?
No, because people like that don't want the fame, and it's entirely sensible.

There is no reason why people would even have to know his wife was doing anything. And also it's quite disingenuous to assume she would be attacked for being a woman.
People have been attacking James Rolfe's wife for years, blaming her for "ruining the channel" by "making him give up on being the Angry Video Game Nerd so she can have kids". Never mind that A) they were already married when he started the whole Nerd thing, and B) he has repeatedly stated he loves being a father. Yes, Yahtzee's wife would be attacked for being a woman, and there are plenty of gamers who'd gleefully take part. Why should she be subjected to that?

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Yahtzee said:
trying to stoke petty drama in ways that reflect badly on him more than anyone else
Hard not to pull out this old classic:

It's just.... Can we please get online figure that doesn't have any of all this? I think PewdiePie is one of the last ones left, and he also made blunders in the past
This is why I like Vtubers so much. A lot of them use animated avatars specifically out of shyness and the desire to avoid drama that would follow from attaching their real life face to their online content. Also with the element of a lot of them being managed by a company, there are built in guardrails for the worst kind of offenses. As restricting as maintaining kayfabe can be in certain respects, it also prevents people from acting out their worst impulses willy nilly. From what I've seen, the worst Vtuber scandals have had to do with the companies and not the talent (see the ongoing Nijisanji trainwreck), and when talents have been exposed, it's mostly for just being kind of shitty people. Not stuff like, I dunno, faking cancer, grooming minors, promoting misinformation etc.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I just heard about the Frost thing. I think the Nick stuff is a bit beyond me. Like saying the owner of The Mets is scummy. That said, I actually only really watched secondwind for Frosts content at this point. Hopefully he gets something going I can subscribe to soon.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Not to mention think of the easy Patreon tiers.

1. Early access to ZP videos.
2. Beta codes for games he makes.
3. An annual vote for a GOTY ZP "as voted by my crazy fans who don't know anybetter" Or something humorous like that.
4. Book previews.
5. Voting on game's Yahtz reviews next (limited again to 1 a year).

He'd make a fucking killing.

His schtick has gotten as old as Angry Joe’s (albeit not as obnoxious) that he’d have to pay me to listen at this point.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
People have been attacking James Rolfe's wife for years, blaming her for "ruining the channel" by "making him give up on being the Angry Video Game Nerd so she can have kids". Never mind that A) they were already married when he started the whole Nerd thing, and B) he has repeatedly stated he loves being a father. Yes, Yahtzee's wife would be attacked for being a woman, and there are plenty of gamers who'd gleefully take part. Why should she be subjected to that?
You missed my point, all she would have to do is post his content to the Patreon page, nobody would even have to know that is wasn't him.

Also I never knew James was even married, so whatever corner of the internet this drama happened is unknown to me.

Another thing to keep in mind is context. People unfair attacked her (according to you) because of a different issue which was James' content changing. And not really because she was a woman, it just so happened that she was a woman and his wife. Yahtzee remains relatively the same and his content hasnt changed since day 1 so the likelihood of her risking blame for anything is minimal.

Yahtzee et al comment on the matter.

View attachment 11682
View attachment 11683View attachment 11684

EDIT: I'm not gonna screencap everything but 9 of the 11 owners have pronounced themselves (the 2 Aussies are asleep) and they all support Nick, while at most conceding past personal grievances that have been ironed out or are being worked on.
Based on Frosts video and Nick's history of semi-blackmailing his staff, I wonder how much of these statements are genuine and how much are they just trying to stay employeed.

The only comment I believe is Yahtz's simply because he strikes me as the kind of person who doesn't really care so long as it doesn't require anything from him. So long as Nick makes sure he is paid and doesn't demand extra work from him, Yahtz probably doesn't care about the squabbles of others. Which normally I would commend, however Nick's behavior affects their new brand and that is a bad look in being associated with someone who's known for bad imaging with your content.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just heard about the Frost thing. I think the Nick stuff is a bit beyond me. Like saying the owner of The Mets is scummy. That said, I actually only really watched secondwind for Frosts content at this point. Hopefully he gets something going I can subscribe to soon.
Funny you say that because about ten years ago Donald Sterling was the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers. Until he was outed as being a racist piece of shit who only owns the team as a legal way to feel like he "owned" some black people. He was eventually forced to sell the team to an EX Microsoft guy by every other NBA owner because letting Sterling own the team was a bad look on everyone. Thus Nick's bad business behavior is a bad look on everyone at Second Wind including Yahtz, and Yahtz's dismissive attitude on the whole honestly makes him look worse.