General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You're right. I was thinking of the PS3 ICO/SotC pack I ended up playing it on, so there's some hope for emulation after all. My bad.
Can confirm the PS3 double pack is fully playable through Rpcs3 tho. One of the more straightforward games to get running, requiring only a couple tweaked settings to prevent crashes, which many other games also require anyway. Unless you want to run at higher res than PS3 native, that requires making a patch file, tho that's also not hard to figure out. This info is all readily available on the emulators website, with a little looking.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Can confirm the PS3 double pack is fully playable through Rpcs3 tho. One of the more straightforward games to get running, requiring only a couple tweaked settings to prevent crashes, which many other games also require anyway. Unless you want to run at higher res than PS3 native, that requires making a patch file, tho that's also not hard to figure out. This info is all readily available on the emulators website, with a little looking.
I haven't tried the PS3 emulator but I appreciate the heads up.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I haven't tried the PS3 emulator but I appreciate the heads up.
It's still several years away from what I'd call 'general use', i.e. when 99% of games are playable start to finish with an acceptable level of tweaking. Rpcs3 runs about 60-65% of games, but unfortunately that remaining chunk is pretty much all the exclusives. No God of War 3, Uncharted, Killzone, infamous, The Last of Us, MotorStorm or MGS4. Ratchet Tools of Destruction technically works, but the emulator can't do Sixaxis, so progress become impossible. Some games can run, but only on specialized custom builds, some of which are locked behind their creator's Patreon. Tho there's notable exclusives that are fully playable, like og Demon's Souls, Resistance or LittleBigPlanet.

It's a fun emulator if you like tinkering with builds and settings, and seeing what games you can (or cannot) get working, but if that's not your bag, I would either stick with real hardware or wait it out. Also, dumping games is time consuming and kind of a pain, if you want to do things legit.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Something I noticed today when prepping this week's freebie post, but the Epic store finally has a shopping cart. Only took them 3 years.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's still several years away from what I'd call 'general use', i.e. when 99% of games are playable start to finish with an acceptable level of tweaking. Rpcs3 runs about 60-65% of games, but unfortunately that remaining chunk is pretty much all the exclusives. No God of War 3, Uncharted, Killzone, infamous, The Last of Us, MotorStorm or MGS4. Ratchet Tools of Destruction technically works, but the emulator can't do Sixaxis, so progress become impossible. Some games can run, but only on specialized custom builds, some of which are locked behind their creator's Patreon. Tho there's notable exclusives that are fully playable, like og Demon's Souls, Resistance or LittleBigPlanet.

It's a fun emulator if you like tinkering with builds and settings, and seeing what games you can (or cannot) get working, but if that's not your bag, I would either stick with real hardware or wait it out. Also, dumping games is time consuming and kind of a pain, if you want to do things legit.
It makes me wonder if this coincides with the kind of exclusives that had the most to-the-metal custom engines, as most of those were also considered the PS3’s most impressive looking games. Those devs had to work some crazy voodoo blood magic to get there, so I’d hate to think of decompiling that code for emulation.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Something I noticed today when prepping this week's freebie post, but the Epic store finally has a shopping cart. Only took them 3 years.
I mean, it takes a lot of time to count all the fortnight money, trade it for nickels and then use those nickels to buy pure uncut cocaine to dump into an Olympic size swimming pool so they can lie down and make coke angels. It's a hard knock life for those guys.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It makes me wonder if this coincides with the kind of exclusives that had the most to-the-metal custom engines, as most of those were also considered the PS3’s most impressive looking games. Those devs had to work some crazy voodoo blood magic to get there, so I’d hate to think of decompiling that code for emulation.
Don't know, but I would not be surprised if that were the case
Holy shit it's been three years!?
Yes, the store launched in late 2018.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Considering that recent trailer with the Ubisoft nfts has a 95% dislike ratio, it looks like the majority of the masses aren't liking it either.
I wish I could be comforted by that, but remember this?

"The gamers" (et al.) talk a lot of shit, but they rush out to get the game they're complaining about the instant they can throw their money at it, because all their little friends are getting it and they don't want to miss out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wish I could be comforted by that, but remember this?

"The gamers" (et al.) talk a lot of shit, but they rush out to get the game they're complaining about the instant they can throw their money at it, because all their little friends are getting it and they don't want to miss out.
If there are idiots that don't want to listen, they'll have no one to blame but themselves despite the warnings we give. They'll shout "Save us", and I'll whisper "You had your chance; it's too late."

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Space Marine 2

Given how well the resurrection of DOWIII from the ashes of THQ went I'm not going to get my hopes up, but as with all Warhammer games I'll keep an eye on it.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hurray, next-gen prices are coming to PC.

Of course, being EU, that means another extra 10 gets slapped on for no good fucking reason. Why yes, I am stoked about games getting €20 more expensive.

It's fine tho, I've found an easy solution: not buying these games. Sorry, not sorry Squenix, fuck you very much for the offer tho.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hurray, next-gen prices are coming to PC.

Of course, being EU, that means another extra 10 gets slapped on for no good fucking reason. Why yes, I am stoked about games getting €20 more expensive.

It's fine tho, I've found an easy solution: not buying these games. Sorry, not sorry Squenix, fuck you very much for the offer tho.
You definitely called it. And I suspected it would happen at some point. I do not blame you, because I am doing the same thing. Not buying their crap or waiting for a lower price drop. A way lower price drop! Bring on the AA and indie games.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier