BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A thought occurs to me.

Remember a few weeks ago when these same people got butthurt that FF16 was going to be too white and not be diverse enough in it's cast.

Now it makes sense.

Imagine a FF game with hate crimes and black people.

Probably better to make everyone white don't you think?
I really don't see what's the big deal for making a note of why the game is M-Rated. Hate crimes and sex scenes have been in violent video games before, what makes FF16 so special that Kotaku has to shout it from the rooftops like it's some grand revelation or big deal? This is nothing more than a another clickbait article.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I really don't see what's the big deal for making a note of why the game is M-Rated. Hate crimes and sex scenes have been in violent video games before, what makes FF16 so special that Kotaku has to shout it from the rooftops like it's some grand revelation or big deal? This is nothing more than a another clickbait article.
Me neither, it's crying for the sake of crying. And I don't think their article is gonna have the result it wants. The thing reads like it wants people to be upset about it, but if anything Titties and violence is making people MORE excited for the game so...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The thing reads like it wants people to be upset about it, but if anything Titties and violence is making people MORE excited for the game so...
How is that people still don't learn from this? The more you make a big deal about something or try to make it sound worse than it is, the more kids, younger people, or anybody else becomes more curious and interested. These dumbass writers learn nothing from what happened back in the late '80s, '90s, and 2000s? They would have been better off saying nothing at all, but now more people are interested in the game. I don't have a problem with that, but it works against whatever they're trying to pull off. They shot themselves in the foot with a rocket launcher.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How is that people still don't learn from this? The more you make a big deal about something or try to make it sound worse than it is, the more kids, younger people, or anybody else becomes more curious and interested. These dumbass writers learn nothing from what happened back in the late '80s, '90s, and 2000s? They would have been better off saying nothing at all, but now more people are interested in the game. I don't have a problem with that, but it works against whatever they're trying to pull off. They shot themselves in the foot with a rocket launcher.
I mean this is the same argument I've had against all the racism talk in political discourse over the last few years. You wanna know how you make more racist people? You constantly tell people that they are racist no matter what. Same thing goes for homophobic, transphobic, whatever. Keep telling people they are shit, then they will become more likely to become shit.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've hear some say it's pretty fun but that it runs awful on PC or something. I'll wait to see more reactions to it before giving a solid opinion on this.
I just brought a graphic card (not yet obtained) from AMD and it comes with a free copy of calisto protocol, its gonna be awkward if the recent ish card can't handle the free game that comes with it.

I mean this is the same argument I've had against all the racism talk in political discourse over the last few years. You wanna know how you make more racist people? You constantly tell people that they are racist no matter what. Same thing goes for homophobic, transphobic, whatever. Keep telling people they are shit, then they will become more likely to become shit.
Always remember when reading articles like these, the goal isn't to combat racism/homobic/etc. The goal is to generate revenue trough traffic. They couldn't care less about racism, in fact they'd much rather it remains a thing, that way they can keep driving easy traffic with fake outrage articles. The best thing to do is ignore and move on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's bull crap and you know it. We've already had this discussion before. Things like that don't make people more racist or homophobic, they were already like that to begin with or got it from some other influence. Hiding racism and homophobia does nothing, but benefit those who want to keep abusing. Called out for what it is and tell them you better people. Of course, that's if they choose to be better people. That is all.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Always remember when reading articles like these, the goal isn't to combat racism/homobic/etc. The goal is to generate revenue trough traffic. They couldn't care less about racism, in fact they'd much rather it remains a thing, that way they can keep driving easy traffic with fake outrage articles. The best thing to do is ignore and move on.
I remember a story that comedian Christopher Titus once told.

He was talking about his divorce court appearance and listening to his soon-to-be ex-wife talking about all the shit he supposedly did. But what really upset him and made him angry was her testifying that he physically beat her, she lied on the stand and claimed he beat her violently. And he said, "Nothing made me want to become a wife-beater more than being ACCUSED of being a wife beater."

And I feel like it's a similar effect with these articles. Because the label of nazi, homophobe, and whatever else gets thown at people so arbituarily that it almost looses it's meaning. It's only real purpose is to keep the phobia's and the 'cists in the public zeitgeist to keep people fighting each other and ignoring what the politically powerful are actually doing. When the public is too busy fighting itself, they will ignore the problems the people in real power are causing. That's the whole purpose, and it works every single time.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Key point more specifically, is telling them they’re a *something*-“phobe”. Lacing accusations with the fear element will always be more derogatory and send people into a tizzy more than just saying they’re “racist”. It reminds me of that Seth Myers children’s book, “I’m Not Scared, YOU’RE Scared!”

Best to just not take the bait, and places like Kotaku will be forced into actual journalism.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@BrawlMan Good news. The NG+ mode will be free.
Even better it's not coming until Feb 23 for some reason so the game with probably be cheaper then.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

So this reads like social media's worst nightmare, but am I the only one who see this and thinks "Game of Thrones"?
It looks to be a major departure from conventional FF story, interesting risk to take. Between that and Yoshi-P involvement... is that.. is that a tiny glimmer of hope that a new SP FF game will be good? I had forgotten how this felt.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@BrawlMan Good news. The NG+ mode will be free.
Even better it's not coming until Feb 23 for some reason so the game with probably be cheaper then.
Thanks for the heads up. Damn right it better be fucking free! If they charged it, I would have not even bothered with a sale. I am going to be busy with some other games, so it won't be immediately on that date. Western AAA developers, stop rushing these games out with no new game+! I call them out specifically, because it's super rare when the Japanese does it. Another thing that does bother me is the story content DLC. If they pull off a FEAR2 (the campaign last about 2 hours at best), then the developers wasted everyone's time.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Seems like The Callisto Protocol really shit the bed, which is a crying shame. It was probably my most anticipated game of the year, and it sucks to hear that it is mediocre/bad.

Hopefully they have a chance to fix some of the issues post-launch, but will probably be one to grab on sale.

Its good that the Dead Space remake is still on the horizon, and it looks fantastic, but again, EA resurrecting the corpse of Dead Space after shutting down the original studio, continues to be miserably cynical.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Its good that the Dead Space remake is still on the horizon, and it looks fantastic, but again, EA resurrecting the corpse of Dead Space after shutting down the original studio, continues to be miserably cynical.
If the EA-led remake ends up being good, I'm just going to have to give up on this world, because all the rules will have become invalid.

Dear God in heaven you need to use literally any other abbreviation for this game XD
...oh. Oh my. Well, maybe it's fortunate that the game isn't good, or you might hear people saying "I can't wait to dig into some CP when I get home from work".

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The Callisto Protocol is getting absolutely shellacked on Steam, with only a 39% positive rating and nearly every negative review I see talking about horrid performance and stuttering (a day-one patch has been promised). The devs really should have known better, and so should the people who bought it (stop preordering things, kids!).