General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Assuming this "game" even gets released this year, I think it'll be a strong contender for the worst game of 2023, alongside forspoken, redfall, and gollum
Wait, that The Day Before thingy is actually in development? I thought it was some kind of investor scam.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Assuming this "game" even gets released this year, I think it'll be a strong contender for the worst game of 2023, alongside forspoken, redfall, and gollum

I mean, is there a reason for the low bar expectations. The trailer is nothingsauce and even jumping through the suggest link to the "Gameplay" reveal (of like, 30 seconds of dudes aiming down sights) it looks decidedly generic but not stupendously remarkable in a bad way

Most of the rest kind of at least have enough ambition to fail spectaularly, this does not seem to hit that marker.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Oh man! A survival game where you have to survive as wildlife trying to stay out of the way of idiots in overpriced cars!

(whisper whisper)

...it's a what?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

At least Forpsoken is actually playable.

Fellas, 2013 with zombies, and the 7th generation ended a decade ago. Who the fuck is this even for?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh man! A survival game where you have to survive as wildlife trying to stay out of the way of idiots in overpriced cars!

(whisper whisper)

...it's a what?

You know, if there was enough talent and vision behind it this actually sounds pretty cool. I didn’t watch the trailer but like, maybe give the forest creatures personalities found in so many Disney flicks but with a dose of sarcastic wit. It could even be given dark comedy angle. Make it their goal to take these rich pricks down until they either die or want to leave and you can reclaim the natural habitats they stole and ruined, then an epilogue can be about restoring it to its former glory.

Is that anywhere close to what’s going on? No? Ok then, I tried.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeh, I know. That rumor mill's been turning for a couple years already, even since it showed up in that leaked list of Geforce Now games, many of which have since released or been announced. I doubt it would get a premium remake à la FFVII tho.
Maybe a Crisis Core type treatment?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeh, I know. That rumor mill's been turning for a couple years already, even since it showed up in that leaked list of Geforce Now games, many of which have since released or been announced. I doubt it would get a premium remake à la FFVII tho.
There's also a cartoon show, which is apparently aimed at a young audience because some execs saw the artstyle and though it looked cutesy so kids, not realizing that its one of the darkest entry in the franchise.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, I feel like the obvious remakes would be 6 or X for broad appeal over 9 (which has very devoted fans, myself included, but is more of a "Cult classic" niche within the series).

Or biting the bullet and doing Crono Trigger, but they can only retroactively make it worse if Crono Cross is anything to go by

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Maybe a Crisis Core type treatment?
Maybe? FFIX is a substantially bigger game than Crisis Core, and doesn't have the advantage of reusing assets from FFVIIR. It would still require substantial budget, and there's not many of the big names from the original team around anymore to spearhead the project, and knowing Japanese corporate culture, thats more or less a requirement for a project of that scope. Well, aside from Ito, but his position at Squenix seems to have lessened of late, considering how little he's done the last couple years.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe? FFIX is a substantially bigger game than Crisis Core, and doesn't have the advantage of reusing assets from FFVIIR. It would still require substantial budget, and there's not many of the big names from the original team around anymore to spearhead the project, and knowing Japanese corporate culture, thats more or less a requirement for a project of that scope. Well, aside from Ito, but his position at Squenix seems to have lessened of late, considering how little he's done the last couple years.
I feel like a lot of the charm that exists in FF9 only exists thanks to that special Ps1 graphical style. I think that added voice acting, and making it in Unreal 5 wouldn't yield the same result that you gain from FF7. FF7 was ripe for the kind of Remake it got due to the depth of the lore, as well as the mature-tone that ran through it which worked well in an HD update.

Not to mention the cartoony character designs of 9 are going to be harder to deal with in a modern upgrade. Like what do they do with the insect Cid, or the character that's a mouth that cooks? They are fine character designs for that art style but I don't see it translating into a HD look the same way.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I feel like a lot of the charm that exists in FF9 only exists thanks to that special Ps1 graphical style. I think that added voice acting, and making it in Unreal 5 wouldn't yield the same result that you gain from FF7. FF7 was ripe for the kind of Remake it got due to the depth of the lore, as well as the mature-tone that ran through it which worked well in an HD update.

Not to mention the cartoony character designs of 9 are going to be harder to deal with in a modern upgrade. Like what do they do with the insect Cid, or the character that's a mouth that cooks? They are fine character designs for that art style but I don't see it translating into a HD look the same way.
FF7 was ripe for a remake because of how dated the graphic were, the character didn't even have hands! But lore wise it's not particularly deeper than 9 nor is it more mature, I'd argue 9 is actually more mature, or at least deal with far heavier subject matter like genocide and military dictatorship.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But lore wise it's not particularly deeper than 9 nor is it more mature, I'd argue 9 is actually more mature, or at least deal with far heavier subject matter like genocide and military dictatorship.
I'd disagree with that pretty much completely. FF9 has a whimsical light-heartedness through most of it that the previous two FF games didn't, on purpose. Having replayed 9 earlier this year I can't even say the lore or the world is all that deep either. I felt it was very surface level to the point where Kuja didn't make much sense as a villain, well he did but his build up was garbage he felt like he was the bad guy because they needed a mascot level bad guy. The military shit feels like it comes out of nowhere because they needed a reason to explain away the bad things and the clone angle.

But unlike 7 there isn't a lot of origin in the game. Like there is stuff in FF7 that happens 1000's of years before the game even begins and you dig through a lot of history with Shinra characters, and even characters you never really met in game like Lucretcia and Gast.

Not that FF games need lore really, that's not really useful unless they are expanding on the original plot.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'd disagree with that pretty much completely. FF9 has a whimsical light-heartedness through most of it that the previous two FF games didn't, on purpose. Having replayed 9 earlier this year I can't even say the lore or the world is all that deep either. I felt it was very surface level to the point where Kuja didn't make much sense as a villain, well he did but his build up was garbage he felt like he was the bad guy because they needed a mascot level bad guy. The military shit feels like it comes out of nowhere because they needed a reason to explain away the bad things and the clone angle.

But unlike 7 there isn't a lot of origin in the game. Like there is stuff in FF7 that happens 1000's of years before the game even begins and you dig through a lot of history with Shinra characters, and even characters you never really met in game like Lucretcia and Gast.

Not that FF games need lore really, that's not really useful unless they are expanding on the original plot.
Whimsical light-heartedness? Did you miss the part where an entire kingdom was massacre almost down to the last man, woman and children (which you visit and literally have to walk over the corpses) and then the place where the refuge ran to was nuked to the ground killing everyone inside? On top of that, the other two major settlements in the world were directly attacked and you actually visit them post destruction. Rough estimation, probably half the world population died between the start and the end of the game.

There's also the part where a mom tried to kill her own daughter in a mad quest for power and used sentient creature made literally only to kill other people. Or a tribe being slowly driven to extinction until only a little girl remain. 9 is freaking dark.

As far as lore, both are pretty similar, the origin background in 9 is about the same as 7, with stuff that happened 1000's of years in the past, with Terra dying and then trying to invade Gaia as a last ditch plan. All this is very similar to 7 (the otherworld invader: Genova/Terra, that ancient magic tribe: the ancient/the summoner tribe). I'd argue the Terra aspect is more properly fleshed out than Genova ever was, since you go trough multiple location dedicated to fleshing out their plan (lifa tree, oilvert, ipsen castle, element shrine).

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Not necessarily. Dragon Quest has a similar whimsical and cartoony vibe to FFIX. I'd say even more so. And that transitioned to HD just fine. Actually, now that I think of it, if there is FFIX remake, I'd be fine with graphical fidelity along the level of DQXI.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Whimsical light-heartedness? Did you miss the part where an entire kingdom was massacre almost down to the last man, woman and children (which you visit and literally have to walk over the corpses) and then the place where the refuge ran to was nuked to the ground killing everyone inside? On top of that, the other two major settlements in the world were directly attacked and you actually visit them post destruction. Rough estimation, probably half the world population died between the start and the end of the game.
How many people were already dead in FF7? Just from the jump an entire race is dead, except Aerith, the entire planet itself is near death, a meteor comes and kills a lot of people, and the cannonical ending of the game is Red 13 in a world where humans are extinct.

Like I'm not going to play a game of which game has more tragedy, most games have dark moments, but the Whimsical-ness is much heavier in 9. The character designs speak to that as well. Zidane is literally a monkey boy. While FF9 can get dark, there is a level of levity in that game that sort of diminishes that for me.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not necessarily. Dragon Quest has a similar whimsical and cartoony vibe to FFIX. I'd say even more so. And that transitioned to HD just fine. Actually, now that I think of it, if there is FFIX remake, I'd be fine with graphical fidelity along the level of DQXI.
I suppose. DQ maintained it's cartoon style as it evolved as well. DQ as a series has been pretty artistically consistent. Which FF doesn't have as the art style changes from game to game with only certain elements carrying over between games.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I suppose. DQ maintained it's cartoon style as it evolved as well. DQ as a series has been pretty artistically consistent. Which FF doesn't have as the art style changes from game to game with only certain elements carrying over between games.
Oh well, we'll see what happens. In the meantime, in case you hadn't seen it yet, here's what it might look like if Squeenix threw all the money at it.

Reactions: CriticalGaming