BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I agree!

Casey Yano, co-founder of Slay the Spire developer Mega Crit, quit his job several years ago to work on the deckbuilder that would eventually earn a 92% from PC Gamer and a 97% overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam. It wasn't a smash hit at first, when it launched in early access, but as Slay the Spire picked up attention it eventually became the inspiration for dozens more singleplayer deckbuilding roguelikes. Many of those games have also been successful, but the surprise breakout of this year's Helldivers 2 and its unique approach to a live service shooter prompted PC Gamer's Evan Lahti to ask to what extent developers should be trying to capitalize on whatever's currently trendy.

"If any big companies are listening: Taking risks is actually the least risky thing you can do," Yano said in a recent PC Gamer roundtable interview on the State of PC Gaming. His argument: "People just want novelty. If you see a strange flavor of ice cream, you're gonna try that ice cream. I want to try the weird ice cream. I'm just saying—the pineapple mint sorbet I had the other day was incredible."

The roundtable also included Larian's publishing director Michael Douse, who said that "the output of this industry is not defined by trends—I think the output defines the trends, the trends don't define the output." He conceded that there are now loads of deckbuilders in Slay the Spire's wake, but argued that those will continue even after they're no longer trendy. "For example, the extraction shooter has become established. They're always going to make those for the rest of time now. They're always gonna make deckbuilding games," he said.

Earlier in the conversation Yano said that Mega Crit's tiny team hadn't given any thought to creating or popularizing a genre with Slay the Spire. The game was simply born out of his frustration with how slow most card games felt, and that they typically weren't built to be singleplayer. "The expectation for a card game was that it has to be PvP, and I didn't think that was true," he said. "The only way to prove anything on the internet is to do it yourself, so we just made a game."

Douse pointed to Slay the Spire as a key example of a different sort of trend in modern PC gaming, one divorced from genre labels: what he calls "hyper-engaging games."

"We're seeing more people super into specific games and finding communities in those games," he said. "That's a cool thing, right? … There's a trend of hyper-engaging games at work. We made a hyper-engaging game. Traditional logic is don't make it hyper-engaging. Make it broad so you can pick it up off the shelf."

"Oh no," Yano said. "We went all-in."

Douse said that games like Slay the Spire "are completely unbothered by any notions of casualization or trying to create something for an audience beyond your own audience." He pointed to recent hit Balatro, a new deckbuilder that sold more than a million copies in less than a month.

"Balatro's completely unbothered by any notion of what it 'should' be, and is really just focusing on what it can be and what you want to make. We're definitely going to see more of that in the PC space," Douse said.

Our 2024 State of PC Gaming roundtable touched on a range of other topics, from the influence of Slay the Spire to the current use of AI in games to the biggest trends in PC gaming over the past year. You can check out the full conversation in the embeds above and below, or find PC Gamer Chat Log wherever you get your podcasts. You may also be interested in Slay the Spire 2, which was announced after this discussion was recorded. It's due out in 2025.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

What!? Oh My God, No way!

Overall, gotta hand it to Sony. They were as rock bottom as they've ever been with Playstation the first year or two of the PS3, when 360 was riding high and stuff like this video added insult to injury. Even though ~ half of their troubles were their own doing they dug deep and "sweat blood" (according to GabeN) to put out kick ass exclusives and eventually even ended up outselling the 360 at the end of 7th gen. From then on it was Microsoft making the blunders, which seemed a near improbable turn of fate. It's kinda looking to pretty much turn out like a modern tech version of the David and Goliath story for the industry.

Anyways, it's something that always made more sense to me, if Microsoft basically pulls a SEGA. They're known for software anyways.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I don't think we have many Escape From Tarkov players hereabouts, but apparently they've seriously pissed off their playerbase with a brand-new $250 edition with exclusive single-player mode, safety from NPC "scavs" under certain conditions, greater equipment-carrying capacity, and an item that can be used to bring other players from one's friends list into the raid. And players who bought the previously most-expensive edition, under the promise of access to all future versions and DLC, are being asked to pony up a $100 upgrade fee.

PvP extraction games like this one are far from my cup of tea, but Tarkov has been considered the leader in the genre, and watching the devs tactically shoot themselves in both feet like this is fascinating, much in the same way as a train wreck is fascinating.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Overall, gotta hand it to Sony. They were as rock bottom as they've ever been with Playstation the first year or two of the PS3, when 360 was riding high and stuff like this video added insult to injury. Even though ~ half of their troubles were their own doing they dug deep and "sweat blood" (according to GabeN) to put out kick ass exclusives and eventually even ended up outselling the 360 at the end of 7th gen. From then on it was Microsoft making the blunders, which seemed a near improbable turn of fate. It's kinda looking to pretty much turn out like a modern tech version of the David and Goliath story for the industry.

Anyways, it's something that always made more sense to me, if Microsoft basically pulls a SEGA. They're known for software anyways.
Mirrors what happened with tech in general. Sure, there's a buck to be made in hardware but software and services is where the real money is at. In the 2000s they were guessing as to when we would see the last of the dedicated gaming consoles thinking our kids would look at our use of them the way younguns may look at those in the 1980s pumping quarters into arcade machines. An obsolete model. It took a while, I'd write, on purpose, but increasingly you can have a mobile device that can be hooked up to a TV where you can game on it. 2017's Switch, I think, is the 1st time this was happening intentionally. But now you have the Steam Deck. Lenovo Legion Go. Asus ROG Ally. If you have good internet, you can, like me, run games on LUNA over a TV streaming device. Gaming, how we game, is changing radically. I think there will be a PS6. I doubt there will be a PS7. Microsoft is just reading the tea leaves. EDIT: OMG. That song is 17 years old min.!

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Mirrors what happened with tech in general. Sure, there's a buck to be made in hardware but software and services is where the real money is at. In the 2000s they were guessing as to when we would see the last of the dedicated gaming consoles thinking our kids would look at our use of them the way younguns may look at those in the 1980s pumping quarters into arcade machines. An obsolete model. It took a while, I'd write, on purpose, but increasingly you can have a mobile device that can be hooked up to a TV where you can game on it. 2017's Switch, I think, is the 1st time this was happening intentionally. But now you have the Steam Deck. Lenovo Legion Go. Asus ROG Ally. If you have good internet, you can, like me, run games on LUNA over a TV streaming device. Gaming, how we game, is changing radically. I think there will be a PS6. I doubt there will be a PS7. Microsoft is just reading the tea leaves. EDIT: OMG. That song is 17 years old min.!
Unless Sony goes out of business we’ll have some form of a PS7, but a greater chance by then it’ll be a smaller all-digital box of some kind.

Reactions: gorfias

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I don't think we have many Escape From Tarkov players hereabouts, but apparently they've seriously pissed off their playerbase with a brand-new $250 edition with exclusive single-player mode, safety from NPC "scavs" under certain conditions, greater equipment-carrying capacity, and an item that can be used to bring other players from one's friends list into the raid. And players who bought the previously most-expensive edition, under the promise of access to all future versions and DLC, are being asked to pony up a $100 upgrade fee.

PvP extraction games like this one are far from my cup of tea, but Tarkov has been considered the leader in the genre, and watching the devs tactically shoot themselves in both feet like this is fascinating, much in the same way as a train wreck is fascinating.
And not even a day later, they accuse other games of plagiarism

I mean other publishers can accuse you guys of plagiarising EFT from their games, or stealing business model (maybe under trade secret?), but no one is giving you guff about it.

Seriously, who tf is managing their twitter account?

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Unfortunately, I somehow did not foresee the fact of such a reaction and now I have drawn conclusions for my future decisions.
WTF, how did you NOT foresee this coming? Have you not seen EA or Ubisoft getting guffs? At least you sound genuine, and not half-assed like those guys.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
They did a survey of the most popular platforms amongst young people in Japan.

The result was that the top 5 options were:
Mobile 94.7%
Nintendo Switch 38.5%
PC 33.2%
Tablet (26.5%)
DS (12.2%)

The discontinued DS is in other words beating out both anything from Sony or Microsoft. I don't know if that reflects a coming shift in Japanese playing habits or reflects the fact that young people are young and have different priorities than older people.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The discontinued DS is in other words beating out both anything from Sony or Microsoft. I don't know if that reflects a coming shift in Japanese playing habits or reflects the fact that young people are young and have different priorities than older people.
It might also have something to do with small rooms unsuitable for TVs.

And then there is price. People nowadays have a mobile phone and many also have a PC or tablet for other reasons than gaming. And both platforms offer a plethora of cheap or even free games.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
They did a survey of the most popular platforms amongst young people in Japan.

The result was that the top 5 options were:
Mobile 94.7%
Nintendo Switch 38.5%
PC 33.2%
Tablet (26.5%)
DS (12.2%)

It indeed signifies a trend, since young people would’ve largely played either SNES or PS1 before mobile gaming was even a thing. Also though, Sony’s priorities have shifted to a more Western focus so I can’t blame Japan for practically abandoning them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
It might also have something to do with small rooms unsuitable for TVs.

And then there is price. People nowadays have a mobile phone and many also have a PC or tablet for other reasons than gaming. And both platforms offer a plethora of cheap or even free games.
Honestly, this news item I contextualize with another news item that I read a couple week backs (that I haven't shared here) that revealed that arcades in Japan has drastically reduced in numbers since the pandemic. As far as painting with broad strokes goes, Japan has in my mind been the place where arcades still held on and PC gaming is practically non-existant. These two news items paint the picture that the gaming Japan of yesteryear no longer exists, or it might not exist in the future.

Another detail that I didn't comment on is that all the platforms, save PC, mentioned in the linked news item are portable. Which is the picture I've gotten ever since the Nintendo DS got popular enough in Japan that the a the time latest mainline Dragon Quest got developed for that platform primarily. I therefore speculate that the PCs they play on are primarily laptops.

I also said the DS is beating out anything from Sony or Microsoft; I should've specified that I meant stationary consoles since I doubt they are gaming on Linux. Maybe iOS.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So Xbox is hosting an indie gameshow. And to no one's surprise, these looks so good. I would say they look way more interesting than xbox 1st party games, but there is no contest as xbox have no games. Most of these are coming to PC as well.

Anyways, here are some of my favorite stand-out ones:

Omg, it's voiced by Geralt again!