General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
They did show Kuwabara, Hiei, and Kurama. I don't know what your gf was looking at. As for Yusuke being "more serious", that is nothing new. The guy can snark, but he is not afraid to get serious during a serious moment.
Then she didn't recognize them.

Also, that the English dub anime talking that added a few more lines of wit or snark.
There you go. I don't believe in dubs and I especially hate American dubs. Cool characters become edgelords, quiet characters become smartasses, not a moment of silence can be spared by obnoxious ADR. Everything is always exaggerated or made too expressive.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then she didn't recognize them.
I hate to say it, but that's mainly on her. I was able to recognize every single major character just fine. Hiei's Jigan 👁 was made to be smaller in this version, but anyone can still tell he has it.

There you go. I don't believe in dubs and I especially hate American dubs. Cool characters become edgelords, quiet characters become smartasses, not a moment of silence can be spared by obnoxious ADR. Everything is always exaggerated or made too expressive.
To the dub's credit, Funimation never did overboard with it and it fits the characters that use it. There are still moments of silence like in sub, or were they didn't go overboard with the ADR. Besides, even major sub fans don't have a problem with Hakusho's English dub. Also, none of the characters act like edge lords in the dub, aside from a few villains, and somewhat Hiei (who gradually develops), but they're already like that to begin with. This problem was only at its worse in the early nineties with a few early dubs, and any anime that was meant for kids or anything down to me for kids with added "flavor text". I don't mind subs myself, but everybody's going to want to watch subs 24/7 or is it some ultimate virtue or guidance. Not everybody has time to read subtitles or learn Japanese. We've already been through this discussion, so I'm not going to go back and forth on it again. Let's all just be happy that we're getting something possibly good, and an IP we can add to the good live action adaption list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That looks suspiciously not-awful for a Marvel superhero film.
Looks more interesting and intriguing than Morbius and Kraven solo movies. Especially the former. This looks like a Spider-Person movie crossed with Next (the one with Nick Cage). You know what? Sign me up for Madame Web. I'll take this over Marvel/Disney's recent output.
It's looks like spider-man things happening, but I can't shake the feeling that were gonna see one or the other in every single review

"Due to a lifeless performance by Dakota Johnson" or "In spite of a lifeless performance from Dakota Johnson"

She's a wet paper towel in human form and I do not understand how she keeps getting roles.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's looks like spider-man things happening, but I can't shake the feeling that were gonna see one or the other in every single review

"Due to a lifeless performance by Dakota Johnson" or "In spite of a lifeless performance from Dakota Johnson"

She's a wet paper towel in human form and I do not understand how she keeps getting roles.
I barely know of Dakota Johnson, nor do I give a shit. I am vaguely aware people don't like her, but that has no effect on me. I am still interested just on the ideas alone.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Since when was being a wet paper towel in human form a problem?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, just wait.
We know of Sony's track record when it comes to the live-action Spider-Man related stuff, but I am willing to give this a chance. Morbius had its writing all over the wall, Kraven looks whatever, and live-action solo Venom movies are entertainingly fine. After the disaster the MCU is going through at the moment, Madame Web at least has an interesting hook and doing something unique.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
We know of Sony's track record when it comes to the live-action Spider-Man related stuff, but I am willing to give this a chance. Morbius had its writing all over the wall, Kraven looks whatever, and live-action solo Venom movies are entertainingly fine. After the disaster the MCU is going through at the moment, Madame Web at least has an interesting hook and doing something unique.
I won't deny I'm baised against superhero movies, and I'm especially baised against the current movie landscape they're released in. You can wake me for something like Spider-Verse, everything else you can dump in the trash.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I won't deny I'm baised against superhero movies, and I'm especially baised against the current movie landscape they're released in. You can wake me for something like Spider-Verse, everything else you can dump in the trash.
I have no problem with that, but I'm a bit different. I like what I like. If I don't like it then I don't like it. With that said, I only watch what interests me, superhero or not. My fatigue or issues are just mediocrity in general (stop putting these movies and shows on the assembly line!). The most recent superhero thing I have seen are RE: Cutie Honey (an anime from 2004 that finally got an English dub earlier this year) and Pluto (which is more of a detective story in the first half. It is an alternate universe retelling of Astro Boy. The manga came out in 2003 and ended in 2009). Both are excellent. There there's also Shin Kamen Rider. That goes under my recommendation too.

I'll approach this movie with some caution, but I am interested.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The most recent superhero thing I have seen are RE: Cutie Honey (an anime from 2004 that finally got an English dub earlier this year) and Pluto (which is more of a detective story in the first half. It is an alternate universe retelling of Astro Boy. The manga came out in 2003 and ended in 2009). Both are excellent. There there's also Shin Kamen Rider. That goes under my recommendation too.
I'd be up for the magical girl-verse. Get Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura into this shit!

Heck, get Super Pig.

download (2).jpg

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd be up for the magical girl-verse. Get Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura into this shit!

Heck, get Super Pig.

View attachment 10151
I wouldn't mind the idea either, but it would be kind of hard with Cutie Honey. That's a very heavy fan service character. She was basically Bayonetta before Bayonetta became a thing. It is possible it's hone it down in her case, as she did have one TV series that was basically like sailor Moon that came out in the mid-90s but never made it stateside. It wasn't that good. Another issue is that it's a copyright and legal rights nightmare. Cuz you got it forgot who owns what or which version of the character(s). For reference, Cutie Honey has been around since the 1970s.