General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Vin Diesel does have chemistry and can act great, but he's gotten lazy and complacent over the years. The first F&F movie and the Riddick movies prove that. In the third live action Riddick movie, he's alone for the first hour. With nobody, but a CG creature to interact with. He does a great job during that park, but the second half is just Pitch Black all over again, but less interesting.
Worse, Riddick was a vanity project showing off how awesome he is.

Also, IIRC, he had a contract saying his character couldn't lose fights in F&F movies, and The Rock did as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Worse, Riddick was a vanity project showing off how awesome he is.
That and him being a big Dungeons And Dragons fan. The second movie wasn't perfect, but it was at least interesting and has a different direction. Only for the third movie to drop off and that ending and not even bother with it. Talk about waste of potential.

Also, IIRC, he had a contract saying his character couldn't lose fights in F&F movies, and The Rock did as well.
I know about that. He had no problem losing in the first movie. That truck driver with the shotgun is the only one that actually beat him and his crew. Brian did win that drag race at the end of the first movie, but gave Dominic a 10 second car. Then again, neither leads were expecting, what was a Point Break knock off, to be a huge mega franchise.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That and him being a big Dungeons And Dragons fan. The second movie wasn't perfect, but it was at least interesting and has a different direction.
Yeah, and that made The Last Witch Hunter interesting as well.

I know about that. He had no problem losing in the first movie. That truck driver with the shotgun is the only one that actually beat him and his crew. Brian did win that drag race at the end of the first movie, but gave Dominic a 10 second car. Then again, neither leads were expecting, what was a Point Break knock off, to be a huge mega franchise.
I think it's because he became too big and he went funny. Happens to a lot of them. Really embarrassing when it's someone who is just starting off like Ruby Rose and they can disappear about as fast.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
think it's because he became too big and he went funny. Happens to a lot of them. Really embarrassing when it's someone who is just starting off like Ruby Rose and they can disappear about as fast.
Jackie Chan got big and he was never afraid to have any character he played to get their asses kicked or hurt. That man made an entire living off of action comedies. Vin, Rock, and most other actors have no excuse that suffer from this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jackie Chan got big and he was never afraid to have any character he played to get their asses kicked or hurt. That man made an entire living off of action comedies. Vin, Rock, and most other actors have no excuse that suffer from this.
I might have gone with Keanu Reeves as the example of not getting a giant ego, but yeah, there's lots that don't go that way.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Vin Diesel, get the fuck over yourself. You've been making the same movie since 5, and have not done much else different. Nothing lasts forever, and I'm glad I stopped after the 7th movie.
I'm glad I stopped at the 0th movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm glad I stopped at the 0th movie.
Ok, you were never a fan to begin with. Heads up, I didn't evens see Fast Five and F&F6 in theaters. Didn't see them until just barely after Paul Walker died. I didn't see them at the time, because I was already waning interest in the franchise. I saw them just to tie up some loose ends.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Vin Diesel, get the fuck over yourself. You've been making the same movie since 5, and have not done much else different. Nothing lasts forever, and I'm glad I stopped after the 7th movie. Then again, I wasn't big on 6 either, and consider it the worst of the franchise.
He needs to just retire from film and go back to playing D&D. Maybe there’s even a professional league for that, but I won’t be watching.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He needs to just retire from film and go back to playing D&D. Maybe there’s even a professional league for that, but I won’t be watching.
He don't have to retire from film, but just do something else! Do something that is non Fast and Furious related, nor xXx again either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He don't have to retire from film, but just do something else! Do something that is non Fast and Furious related, nor xXx again either.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
"How the fuck do I expect to be remembered? So who cares? Let’s just live, make some movies. They’ll be obsolete and irrelevant in 15 or 20 years." - Taika Waititi.
I'm getting sick of this guy.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Pretty interesting study was done recently comparing review scores to box office success. Apparently, movies that had more positive review scores before release actually did worse at the box office compared to movies that didn't do so well critically.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Pretty interesting study was done recently comparing review scores to box office success. Apparently, movies that had more positive review scores before release actually did worse at the box office compared to movies that didn't do so well critically.

I can totally understand positive reviews not necessarily leading to box office success. Them dirty critics do love their artsy Oscar bait. But the reverse is surprising.

Although the study does use ROI instead of just flat out box office. A garbage movie that cost $10 million to make is a lot more likely to have a good ROI than a middling or okay movie that cost ten times more.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
But the reverse is surprising.
How so? The taste of the general public and the taste of cinephiles don't entirely overlap. People want to see Fast and furious, 50 shades of grey, and Batman versus Transformers. You won't have get same box office success with Last Year in Marienbad or My Dinner with Andre.