Generally Accepted Gaming Facts

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
nuba km said:
fundude365 said:
Holy crap I can't believe I'm the first one to post this!!
no, no, you are not
How do you figure? No one else said that before him.

A few truths of gaming? Alright:
Bioware rocks, they make the best RPGs. We all hate Ubisoft, yet will continue to buy their games because it's just so damn fun to murder our way through history.

The Fallout franchise is lovably weird, politicians will blame games for violent behavior, and I Wanna Be The Guy is impossible.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
nuba km said:
fundude365 said:
Holy crap I can't believe I'm the first one to post this!!
no, no, you are not
How do you figure? No one else said that before him.

A few truths of gaming? Alright:
Bioware rocks, they make the best RPGs. We all hate Ubisoft, yet will continue to buy their games because it's just so damn fun to murder our way through history.

The Fallout franchise is lovably weird, politicians will blame games for violent behavior, and I Wanna Be The Guy is impossible.
yea I figured out that you meant the comment originally I thought you meant you were the first person to comment overall.

rescuer86

Apr 12, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Whether people like it or not, Halo has made enough money to warrant it's popularity.
So has Michael Bay; that doesn't make either of them any good.

OT: If you buy an RPG from a studio that has an infuriating habit of releasing $400 worth of DLC before the Game of the Year/Ultimate Edition/Super Duper Extreme-o Awesome Edition comes out a year later, you may as well take that $60 and light it on fire then piss on the flames.

Giving someone enough gifts will make them want to bone you.

In any RPG, the grinding blows, but if you wanna have enough money and XP to obtain the super ultimate whammy weapon that you can use once, you gotta spend 30 hours doing other people's jobs.

Cutter9792

Nov 22, 2009
Yahtzee always makes a good point.
Treyarch Call of Duty games are never as good as Infinity Ward ones.
Motion controls are useless without force feedback.
Motion controls are useless without good games to play.
Even though they shouldn't for several flowcharts worth of reasons, kids under 17 will be playing M-Rated games. And they will be annoying.
Paying for online games sucks.
Free-to-play is good (look at LOTRO).
Extra Credits is always right.
Quick Time Events suck.
Action and storytelling in games gets BETTER when people you care about are in the fight.
Chris Redfield's biceps have their own gravity.
Lara Croft's chesticles are their own solar system.
Peter Molyneux needs to STFU.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
nuba km said:
pokemon is improving with every generation but even if the tenth generation could cure cancer people would say that it's worse then the first and/or the second generation.
That has a lot to do with the designs of the pokemon themselves. Whether or not storyline, characterization, game mechanics, etc have gotten better or not, the pokemon from generations 1&2 simply look like they had more thought put into them.

OT: -- The mysterious swordsman you meet is likely your father.
-- If you wake up in a small town in the middle of nowhere with no intentions of greatness, saddle up mate, you're going to save the world.
-- Photo-realistic graphics are no substitute for good storyline and characterization.
-- Innovation is never bad.
-- Combat has no place in survival horror.

Recron

Professional Procrastinator
Jun 10, 2010
MetalDooley said:
Recron said:
and Nintendo will release no less than 4 versions of each of their hand held consoles
Haven't Sony done the same with the PSP?
yeah but I cant really call them out on it since the PSP is their first hand held console, maybe if the PSP 2 had 4 slightly upgraded versions, I'l come back and edit my post.

also here is one more for the list
the PSP was design around style and not comfort and playing it increases your chances of getting RSI by 56.091123%...give or take

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
The eyes of every soldier are equipped with grenade and pain sensing technology.

If you see it, and it looks more evil than anything else, you WILL kill it.

Jun 11, 2008
PaulH said:
Glademaster said:
PaulH said:
Glademaster said:
PaulH said:
Games will always seem better if they're from 10+ years ago, if only because of nostalgia when older gamers say 'Back before <insert new peripheral/console/trend>....'
I do have to disagree with this it is not always true. I played the Prince of Persia remake for 360 and this is the first PoP game I have ever played and found it to be crap. I got the older ones off Steam and they are a billion times better so sometimes it is not always nostalgia.
So you are saying that 'Back before the 360, Prince of Persia games were better?'. Not exactly a disagreement.

But I'm guessing if the first PoP (One of the most widely distributed and successful game series ever) was on the 360 you don't get to qualify for 'older gamer' title just yet ;P
Well it was a reboot of the PS2 ones I think not sure I am not that into the series. Although I don't know if I would qualify for older gamer as I've only been going for 15 years but anyway ye sometimes it isn't just nastalgia but it can be a lot of the time.
Ooooohhh .. .I get you now o.o

Yeah sometimes it's not, but by the same token I think all gamers appreciate modern graphics and technologies that serve to create a visual environment in greater detail than of classic adventure games like SpaceQuest ;P

Don't get me wrong .. .SQ series was awesome ... but if they were to revamp the setting, characters and quirkyness it would be win. But I doubt games like SQ would survive in the crazy PC world we now occupy.
Yes I do see what you are saying as well but sometime it is nice to go a bit retro every now and then.

EverydayHeretic

Dec 12, 2009
bojac6 said:
EverydayHeretic said:
Left is almost always the correct direction to travel.

That one item you really need will only drop when you've stopped thinking/caring about it.

It's still going to be about 10 years before people realize that clever art direction is more valuable than pretty graphics.
I don't understand your first one. You go right in every 2D side scroller I've ever played. When is left the right way to go? What games?

Totally agree with the last one though.
Er, I sorta meant in RPG dungeons, overworld maps, and most action games. Whenever I see a branching path, left will always either take me to A) the way I needed to go, or B) the treasure I was looking for. I can't remember a game I played where that didn't happen.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Red guys always means they are the enemy...Which is why people go for the Russians because they used to be communist...and the flag was red...Wait only half of that was right...Am I onto some sort of conspiracy about why Russia is often the enemy...Or just paranoid?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Game haters and fans are schizophrenic.

Real horror will never outsell cheap jump scares.

The greatest anti-gaming entity is the gaming community.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Macabre9037 said:
1. If Russians are in it, they are bad.

2. If they are not bad they are the most morally grey protagonists.

3. The only time they are given the second option is when Nazis are involved.
http://www.wizeercont.ru/uploads/posts/2482161962_stalker_clear_sky_npc_renderings-1.jpg

I'd like to have a word with you.

World of Warcraft will always have thousands of players.

People will complain if their game series in changed in a way they don't like.

If you are Dr. Freeman, you will be reminded continuously to reload a fresh magazine.

Everyone will call a magazine a clip.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Hiding behind cover waiting for your health to recharge is more realistic than having health packs.

America is always the good guys, and the nobel underdogs in the fight.

No matter how good a console game looks, PC is always far superior.

Nintendo will never make anything new.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Cutter9792 said:
Lara Croft's chesticles are their own solar system.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Daily/2010/12-Dec/09/Lara%20Croft%20detailed/120910_laracroft_content--article_image.jpg

I'm happy they're breaking this rule. Not only does Lara Croft now actually look like people I know, I'll also never get killed by big steel arrows through the nipples again.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
There's no such thing as "too many guns".

It's a bad sign if things are "too quiet".

Contrary to common sense: following a trail of blood and bodies means you're going in the right direction.

Even though you can't talk, people will understand everything you say.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
-Last boss? Pleases fool, there is yet a last last boss to defeat!
-It?s a trap and you will lose your weapons but conveniently they will be in a nice place for you to pick them up.
-Everything is trying to kill you.
-Cut scenes steel the fun that should have rightfully been yours.
-Need magic? Here have some bombs. Nearly out of arrows? Have all the pieces of currency you might ever need. Oh what is that, your purse is full? Too bad.
-It is but a flesh wound.
-Health restoring items are plentiful and sometimes floor food.
-Imposable to defeat enemies? A good possibility you?re supposed to fail, it might even just be a dream.
-Locked door in somebody?s home? Ridicules, impractical, unlocking mechanism to figure out.
-The evil villains will look unmistakably evil and villainous.