Germany embassy in Sudan stormed

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
erttheking said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:
What bothers me is the US government's noncommittal response. By not defending our citizens actions (no matter if we personally agree or not), we are abandoning the freedoms laid forth in our constitution. If citizens of another nation can silence American citizens by protest, violence, and murder, then all that America stands for is truly dead.

Free Speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.
I have to agree with Daystar on this one, you can feel free to walk into the middle of a gang and start implying that they all sleep with their mothers, and freedom of speech isn't going to protect you there. I just wish the consequences were going to the asshole who made the film, and not random American and German citizens, who might not have even known that it existed.
Agreed.

This particular instance is rather disturbing because others are dying because of the ill-conceived actions of another.
Agreed. If this were an instance of one person, I'd feel little to no pity, but the problem is these people are killed/in danger because of the actions of someone their only link to is nationality.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
First off, the guy was completely justified in making his movie. Was it dumb? Sure. Was it an incredibly stupid message, amplified thousandfold by its poor execution? Absolutely. Was it bad? Without a doubt. Was it illegal? No.

Whoever made the video shouldn´t be punished. He´s done nothing wrong(well, except for making a shit movie). All he did was make a movie that was critical of a religion. Punishing him for that would be an affront to both freedom of speech and justice.

Don´t blame the guy who made a movie. Blame the violent extremists killing people over said movie.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Combustion Kevin said:
JeffBergGold said:
Looks like America just found their next war. It's funny because people were advocating the downsizing of the military. Doesn't really seem like a good idea, does it?
first of all, America can roll these guys over wether they downsize their army or not.
What gives you that idea?

awesomeClaw said:
First off, the guy was completely justified in making his movie. Was it dumb? Sure. Was it an incredibly stupid message, amplified thousandfold by it´s poor execution? Absolutely. Was it bad? Without a doubt. Was it illegal? No.

Whoever made the video shouldn´t be punished. He´s done nothing wrong(well, except for making a shit movie). All he did was make a movie that was critical of a religion. Punishing him for that would be an affront to both freedom of speech and justice.

Don´t blame the guy who made a movie. Blame the violent extremists killing people over said movie.
Free speech does not mean immunity from outfall caused by said speech. It would be justice if we sent him over there to face the music imo. If he's a big enough man to make the film he should be a big enough man to face the consequences.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
awesomeClaw said:
First off, the guy was completely justified in making his movie. Was it dumb? Sure. Was it an incredibly stupid message, amplified thousandfold by it´s poor execution? Absolutely. Was it bad? Without a doubt. Was it illegal? No.

Thank you, well said. There is no excuse for these peoples' behavior. "He hurt my feelings" is NOT A VALID EXCUSE FOR MURDER.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
JeffBergGold said:
Combustion Kevin said:
JeffBergGold said:
Looks like America just found their next war. It's funny because people were advocating the downsizing of the military. Doesn't really seem like a good idea, does it?
first of all, America can roll these guys over wether they downsize their army or not.

awesomeClaw said:

Free speech does not mean immunity from outfall caused by said speech. It would be justice if we sent him over there to face the music imo. If he's a big enough man to make the film he should be a big enough man to face the consequences.
You know what, you´re in the right. This guy deserves all the protests and all the hate he can get. They´re completely justified in both hating him and his stupid movie. He should have to take all the criticisms everyone is throwing at him and then some.

But you know what? Screaming that someone is an accursed infidel and saying that both them and their movie are affronts to god himself is a very diffrent thing to killing people, destroying property and causing general chaos. That is not acceptable. That is NEVER acceptable.

By all means, this guy should have to take the criticism and the hate. But you know what he shouldn´t have to take? Death.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mick Golden Blood said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:
What bothers me is the US government's noncommittal response. By not defending our citizens actions (no matter if we personally agree or not), we are abandoning the freedoms laid forth in our constitution. If citizens of another nation can silence American citizens by protest, violence, and murder, then all that America stands for is truly dead.

Then what's the point of it?

Let's examine this...

free/frē/
Adjective:
Not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.
Adverb:
Without cost or payment: "ladies were admitted free".
Verb:
Make free, in particular.

speech/spēCH/
Noun:
The expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.
A person's style of speaking.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm.............................................................

The VERY definition of those words put together, is the exact fucking opposite of what you just said. The very IDEA of free speech is that you can speak without consequences! Seriously?
What he's trying to say is that the government won't persecute you for what you say, but if you call someone a dick and he punches you in the face for it, you can't report him for oppressing your freedom of speech. You persecute him for assault.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Anti western sentiments run high i many Islamic countries.Religious Demagogues and firebrands are just waiting for a reason (no matter how trivial) to rile up their following. In these cases all one can hope for is that the host country can provide protection for the Embassy in question.

Dec 14, 2009
Mick Golden Blood said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

Let's examine this...

free/frē/
Adjective:
Not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.
Adverb:
Verb:

speech/spēCH/
Noun:
The expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm.............................................................

The VERY definition of those words put together, is the exact fucking opposite of what you just said. The very IDEA of free speech is that you can speak without consequences! Seriously?
Freedom of speech lets you say what you want. The government won't interfere.

Won't stop you from getting your arsed kicked if you walk into a neighbourhood populated by black people and start talking about how much you 'hate niggers.'

Like I said, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Azo Galvat said:
Could the maker of this film be arrested and convicted of murder?
Sure, if the maker of this film went out and killed a guy.

Of course not, the only thing he's guilty of is making a film. Its not his fault people looked at the film he made and decided to kill people over it.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Fappy said:
I think it's more likely Washington will rise from his grave and reiterate the fallacy of a two-party system at this point :(
And Jesus fucking Christ is it a huge fallacy.

OT: This is why you don't let religion run a country. Now because these radicals are "acting in behalf of their religion", their government will just let it happen. Nationalized religion is a very dangerous thing.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

Let's examine this...

free/frē/
Adjective:
Adverb:
Verb:

speech/spēCH/
Noun:

Won't stop you from getting your arsed kicked if you walk into a neighbourhood populated by black people and start talking about how much you 'hate niggers.'

Uh... No.

In your hypothetical scenario the black people attacking the bigot don't believe in free speech, hence they're censoring him by beating him down.

Your consequence argument only holds merit in scenarios where, say a person on the radio says "I Hate Niggers" and the backlash against him forces the radio station owners to drop him from the air waves. That's an acceptable consequence.

But the moment a group of people decide to MURDER someone over their speech, that's not a consequence yo. That's a bunch of nutjobs acting as ENEMIES of free speech.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
Mick Golden Blood said:
free/frē/
Adjective:
Being able to do as one wishes does not mean immunity to incurring consequences.

You're free to insult someone you're not under their control or power. However, they are also free to retaliate.

Mick Golden Blood said:
Adverb:
Without cost or payment:
Without cost or payment is referring to monetary payment.

Mick Golden Blood said:

I get what you're trying to do but you need to advance your mastery of the English language a little bit more first. You get an A for effort though!
awesomeClaw said:
JeffBergGold said:
Combustion Kevin said:
JeffBergGold said:

awesomeClaw said:

You know what, you´re in the right. This guy deserves all the protests and all the hate he can get. They´re completely justified in both hating him and his stupid movie. He should have to take all the criticisms everyone is throwing at him and then some.

But you know what? Screaming that someone is an accursed infidel and saying that both them and their movie are affronts to god himself is a very diffrent thing to killing people, destroying property and causing general chaos. That is not acceptable. That is NEVER acceptable.

By all means, this guy should have to take the criticism and the hate. But you know what he shouldn´t have to take? Death.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying he should die but he should face his critics instead of cowering. His actions have caused the death of others who had nothing to do with the film. At the very least he should be sent over to quell the violence that he has started. As I stated before if he had the gumption to make the film he should be ready to take the consequences. Honestly, it just makes him look like a coward in my book.

"I wanna do things but I don't wanna be accountable!" What is he a child?

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
After i heard Hillary`s speech i felt a great sadness but was also rolling on the floor. I can`t believe the US went all like: oh please we no mean harm. islam good religion. islam religion of peace.
So pretty much when islam is involved there is no freedom of speech.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Fappy said:
It's disgusting how easily a peaceful religion can get twisted and corrupted like this. Hopefully cooler-heads prevail and they can calm the radicals down.
Im sorry to say i think its beyond the help of the level-headed at this point. I mean, theyre attacking British and German embassies despite that no EU country is connected to the film in question.

Not to mention that the entire Muslim world is pissed at this. By the time you posted there was already protests in London over this. It was a peaceful protest, but it was only a couple of hundred Muslims and theese things have a way of escalating.

Also the guy responsible for the film, surely he can be arrested for disturbing the peace. Its not every day someone manages to piss off half a continent after all.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
JeffBergGold said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
free/frē/
Adjective:
Being able to do as one wishes does not mean not incurring consequences.

You're free to insult someone you're not under their control or power. However, they are also free to retaliate.

Mick Golden Blood said:
Adverb:
Without cost or payment:
Without cost or payment is referring to monetary payment.

Mick Golden Blood said:

I get what you're trying to do but you need to advance your mastery of the English language a little bit more first. You get an A for effort though!
awesomeClaw said:
JeffBergGold said:
Combustion Kevin said:
JeffBergGold said:

awesomeClaw said:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying he should die but he should face his critics instead of cowering. His actions have caused the death of others who had nothing to do with the film. At the very least he should be sent over to quell the violence that he has started. As I stated before if he had the gumption to make the film he should be ready to take the consequences. Honestly, it just makes him look like a coward in my book.

"I wanna do things but I don't wanna be accountable!" What is he a child?
I see your point. But this is one of those cases where he simply cannot just come out and try to quell the whole thing. If he comes out, I guarantee that within 2 weeks someone will have made an attempt on his life.

We have witness protection, don´t we? This is roughly the same thing. Guy said X about group Y. Now group Y seeks to kill him. X goes into hiding. I agree he should face the criticism, but since in this case it could mean facing death, I understand his hesitation.

Dec 14, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
Daystar Clarion said:
omicron1 said:

Let's examine this...

free/frē/
Adjective:
Adverb:
Verb:

speech/spēCH/
Noun:

Uh... No.

In your hypothetical scenario the black people attacking the bigot don't believe in free speech, hence they're censoring him by beating him down.

Your consequence argument only holds merit in scenarios where, say a person on the radio says "I Hate Niggers" and the backlash against him forces the radio station owners to drop him from the air waves. That's an acceptable consequence.

But the moment a group of people decide to MURDER someone over their speech, that's not a consequence yo. That's a bunch of nutjobs acting as ENEMIES of free speech.
I never said the response would be justified :D

Just that's not an infallible defence to say what you want, when you want.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Fappy said:
It's disgusting how easily a peaceful religion can get twisted and corrupted like this. Hopefully cooler-heads prevail and they can calm the radicals down.
You've never read the Qur'an/Koran if you think it's "peaceful".

These folks are not different then Christan lynch mobs were back in the Dark Ages or Puritans back in 'the old times'.

What the M.E. needs is to remove their theocracies and put in secular governments.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
JeffBergGold said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
free/frē/
Adjective:
Being able to do as one wishes does not mean immunity to incurring consequences.

No, they are not free to retaliate in this manner. They are free to retaliate in a manner which falls under "speech" (protests), but they are not free to kill anyone as part of said retaliation.

Part of "freedom of speech" also guarantees that no physical harm will come to the speaker.