Gran Turismo 5: One of 2010's Top RPGs?

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Ghengis John said:
I bought this game and was roundly disappointed. Where are the Hmong kids for me to tutor and gang-members to intimidate? To say nothing of the fact that my avatar looks nothing like Clint Eastwood. All it is is driving around! When do I make with the crazy threatening? I know tie-in games have a history of taking liberties with the source material but this has to be the worst one ever.
Well played, sir. This is the sort of thing that makes me wish there were a "you get a gold star for the day" or "you win an Internet" button or something. There's probably no way it could be made into a decent game, but it could at least sort of be an RPG. Awesome movie anyway, though.. Heh.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
Half-Life and Sonic don't have any notable character progression, so not in my mind. Why is an awesome racing dude not a role? He's constantly building himself up, completing new challenges, and becoming a better racer. Is that blank?
See, this doesn't make sense to me. Sonic and Gordon Freeman are constantly building themselves up, completing new challenges and becoming better hedgehogs, freedom fighters.

What point does Gran Turismo driver (not car, not track) change in a way that Gordon/Sonic don't?
Not really. Freeman picks up weapons but that's about it. Keep in mind I'm only pointing out similarities, not saying what GT5 is either way. The player in GT5 can complete a race, acquire a new car, and have a whole new avenue of races open up... progressing even further through the rewards from those. You're picking up new abilities and therefore able to do more... visit new areas, try out special events, etc. It's similar to the progression in an RPG, that's all.

Sep 14, 2009
Xersues said:
Sean.Devlin said:
ravenshrike said:
Sean.Devlin said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
One real huge problem.

RPG= ROLE playing Game.

What ROLE are you actually playing? Because you seem to be suggesting you're playing the car?
You're playing a guy that wins money easily so he can buy a turbo and beat everybody without learning to drive his indestructible car.

I think it's cute when reviewers throw the RPG card at these games in a review to show how much depth they have, but c'mon. This is not even funny. Racing games might want to appeal to racing fans instead of collectors, how about that?
The damage system starts at level 20 and goes to full at level 40.
Everytime someone defends Polyphony Digital, I strangle seven kittens out of friendly rage.
gmaverick019 said:
rpg......?

i understand that can be a loose definition.

but come on.

its gran. fucking. turismo.

which i was highly dissappointed by this game..ill go back to mario kart and full auto, much better racing games imo
The hell? Its a simulation racing game. I'm very inclined to believe most of the people that have "played it" here are either lying through their teeth, or tried it for 5 minutes before ragequitting and crying about how difficult it is after the first few ranks (15+).

You buy a racing wheel, why? Its a simulation game and it slowly increases the difficulty curve the more you play. This is why the experience point system matters. You start out very arcadish, and move more and more to a simulation game to really up the difficulty. That is the point the author is trying to make. While it does seem like bit of a stretch, PD really did go out their their way to freshen their series up. At first glance it looks like the same shit, but the way it plays is very similar to many RPG games out there.

Start off with a crap car, and most likely not much driving sense except your lack of fear (Try racing for real, and you'll see what I mean, its a game), and whatever behind the wheel experience you yourself may have. At first it seems easy, you can bump your way through the levels. Basically not very sim or racing like for a game of its expected caliber.

Keep Playing.

You unlock more levels, more customization options, more cars, more tracks, and eventually more challenges. As you rank up the game suddenly welcomes you into the "real world" of racing. Damage has to be repaired, you can total your car, and you have to keep it in good condition and tuned if you're into that sort of thing. Eventually you hit a wall, and you need to get more XP to unlock more cars and challenges. The tracks get harder, more weather is introduced, and damage is fully realized.

Now you have the game that people expected when you first get into it. Honestly, once you get there, its hard as hell, and most people would have cried off and traded it in after 5 minutes of pure suck. Once you get used to it, and work on your skills, you start to feel like you've learned some serious driving techniques, rather than just smashed your way through it, like you did in the beginning.

If you've played it, you're more likely to agree with the Author's article, if you haven't, and its really easy to tell you've merely dabbled in it at best or are unobservant. You'll just spout off about mario kart. Enjoy your kart games, I'm going to go back to my racing sim.
"The hell?" me and my roommate have put in over 40 hours combined, and we are not impressed at all with it. if they really wanted to show off as a "rpg", they could have made it way better, especially with customization, i could've spent hours in the menu's buying cars/modelling parts/making new shells. but no, its stupidly simple to the point any programmer out there could have done what they did on the "rpg" part of it.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, computer RPGs started to part ways with their tabletop forebears around the late 80s, and I haven't seen "RPG" in the context of a video game as anything but a marketing term. They should just call them "games that borrow some mechanical ideas from D&D" and be done with it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
meiadose said:
so having failed in the racing genre are you trying to have it succeed in the rpg genre?
You really have no idea what you're talking about buddy. I hardly call being the highest selling Playstation franchise of all time a failure. The only other racing series that has sold higher is Need For Speeed, which is obvious due to multi platforming. If you're gonna hate on something know what you're hating.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
twistedheat15 said:
wow there's a lot of butt hurt in this thread over the thought.
But someone's wrong on the internet, they all need to point out his obvious mistake of having an opinion on how a game might fit into a genre you might not think it belongs in.

koga88

May 19, 2009
I know that this really isn't going to prove anything or give any reason to not have it called an RPG, but just no. There are blurred lines nowadays between different genres but there has to be a line at some point. You can not add experience points to any game and call it an RPG. You may as well call Rock Band or Dance Central or Guitar Hero an RPG then at that point because they let you gain stars to level up and make your way through the game.

And as those said before me RPG really means Role Playing Game. Most racing games don't even have a single ounce of story to them unless you write one yourself or make it up on your head. Sure you can call GT5 a RPG but other than being able to "level up" there are no similarities to an RPG. I know that this argument is probably full of holes and I may end up being arrogant for saying it, but its depressing to think that RPGs have fallen to such a level that anything could be called an RPG at this point. Though I suppose you always end up playing a role, so a role playing game could be anything. But regardless of that; no GT5 is not an RPG, nor could it be one of the top RPGs if it were to be deemed one.

If you could put such a loose interpretation on games then GT5 could be called not only a Racing game, but an action adventure game, arcade style game, fighting game (since you fight other drivers for position), puzzle game(figure how to be the fastest), a simulation (self explanatory) and a strategy game for much the same reason as a puzzler. There has to be a line at some point or else other games will just detract from genres as a whole and companies will find easy ways to make bad games and throw a bunch of different titles on it. Not saying GT5 is a bad game at all, quite enjoy it actually, but there needs to be a point when players just need to shake their heads and say no... you're just a racing simulator.

gibsonman

Mar 20, 2010
I just got gran turismo 5 and it got me to thinking back to the last 4 games in the series, and he really is right about it having a JRPG vibe.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Tom, even if you did manage to classify this game as an RPG, there's still one big oversight. THIS ISN'T A NEWS ARTICLE! It's a user review. There's a huge difference. I'm pretty damn sure you can access and post in the user review or gaming discussion forums, tom. You don't need to put this in "The News Room" especially because IT'S NOT NEWS!

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I stopped reading after "XP" and "making your way up" was called the "RPG elements". That is just silly number grinding. When you get more "XP" each time you get "better" results, it is automatically not an RPG. "better" should always be undefined in such games, and winning a race in a dry manner is just a weak turn in this direction.

Can you crash other cars? Hit racer's faces? Burn their houses? Kill their families? (for them not to show up next day)

No?

Not an RPG.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Well these reasons is why I started Playinmg GT3 back in the day, the sense of leveling.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Glademaster said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
start talking about whether or not Final Fantasy 13 might actually be an RTS with really nice world-building....
Yes it is a JRPG. Video game RPGs have evolved into something completely different then pen and paper RPGs. Which is why a new defintion needs to be made for video game RPGs. Final Fantasy anything is not an RTS by any stretch of the imagination.
Sorry, I suppose I failed a bit at conveying what I was trying to say.
I DO believe that Final Fantasy 13 is an RPG (though not Final Fantasy "anything", but that is a different point). I was just trying to say that debating whether or not FF13 is an RPG, WHY it is an RPG and why one might consider it not to be an RPG, is a much more worthwhile topic than arguing about whether or not having exp in GT5 makes it an RPG.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
this just goes to show game genres are getting worthless by the day. Labeling a game as "role playing" is trivial since you are almost always asumming a role, be it a racer or darkspawn killer. You might as well say this is an third person action game when you switch the camera.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
1. Forza did this first.
2. Pro Race Driver on Xbox had an actual story to play through. That would have been more of a CAR-P-G than Gran Turismo 5.

I do agree that levelling up allows you to gain better cars which allows you to perform better, but there is no actual story which is the main point to role playing games. The motivation in this game simply to win races. That isn't to say that it isn't a valid goal, it just isn't enough to qualify it as a RPG.

Jun 11, 2008
linkvegeta said:
Don't worry im not trying to get you to change how you say it, just as long as its in it own category.
Nah it's fine I'll use it when it becomes more common to do so and people more readily understand what I mean as I am not a trend setter.

TheAmazingHobo said:
Glademaster said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
start talking about whether or not Final Fantasy 13 might actually be an RTS with really nice world-building....
Yes it is a JRPG. Video game RPGs have evolved into something completely different then pen and paper RPGs. Which is why a new defintion needs to be made for video game RPGs. Final Fantasy anything is not an RTS by any stretch of the imagination.
Sorry, I suppose I failed a bit at conveying what I was trying to say.
I DO believe that Final Fantasy 13 is an RPG (though not Final Fantasy "anything", but that is a different point). I was just trying to say that debating whether or not FF13 is an RPG, WHY it is an RPG and why one might consider it not to be an RPG, is a much more worthwhile topic than arguing about whether or not having exp in GT5 makes it an RPG.
Ok that's fair enough. There are too many people on the site who dismiss JRPGs for not having given them a try or have only encounter 1 series(FF). While I understand people can have their opinion some people just try to follow Yahtzee and be cool but what you're saying is fair enough.