"Great" games that failed to blow you away

RDL_Razor

Jun 14, 2007
Of those that i bothered to play Half-Life(s) and Fallout 3 (solid mods didn't help either) were the biggest letdowns.
Yeah, Bioshocks and DA:O too.

RottingAwesome

Aug 15, 2009
not done Psychonauts but so far it's pretty enh
Also, though I enjoyed MGS1 and 2 to an extent, I wasn't too crazy about 3, which is the one my friend swears to be the best in the series
Super Mario Galaxy. Never really liked it, Super Mario Sunshine was far superior

(also I would like to add that I really enjoyed Mirror's Edge which I know will be on many people's lists)

EDIT: forgot to mention Halo and CoD. What awful games. I think the main reason I hate them is because of their insane popularity despite the mediocracy and it's all people ever seem to talk about

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Hmm...
Games that are popular that I tried and didn't like:
Fallout 3
-Didn't like it because I didn't like the setting, post-apocalyptica makes me feel unhappy
I also hate having my equipment degrade as I use it, and certain equipment being so rare in the beginning, causing my early specializations to be worth bupkiss. I've no doubt I'd enjoy it more once I understood the system, and felt more powerful, but I just felt out of place in this world.

Bioshock 1
-I was just creeped out early-on by the splicers. I don't like survival-horror genre, and the splicers and whole setting just seemed too creepy for me to enjoy right away, as interesting as everything looked.

Company of Heroes
-I liked Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes was essentially 19-40(K), but I just got completely frustrated by the campaign. Parts of Dawn of War got grindy during the campaigns, but all of Company of Heroes felt grindy to me. I was just getting to enjoy the first "we must defend this house!" mission, and then there was a scripted event where every one of my carefully placed armies and defenses was bombarded with artillery. That sucked.

Warcraft 3
-Campaign got really hard for me as a n00b, and then it got unpleasant. I don't WANNA go around killing all the villagers just to prevent them from becoming zombies. Stupid Arthas, I'd rather be playing as the non-innocent-bystander-slaying paladin.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind-Waker
-Well, I played Twilight Princess first, first Zelda game I played to its conclusion (lame, I know). Then I played this, and it was much more frustrating. Even though you get all the "secret warrior techniques" that I had to work to find in TP right off the bat, getting past the minotaur guards just frustrated the hell out of me. So I rage-quit, my GC memory card disappeared, and I never played again.

So it's not that the games I disliked were BAD, its just I got frustrated and/or was discomfited by the feel of the game. I am quite sure there would be more if I'd played more. I tend to prefer to stick with what I know I enjoy, and get good replay value out of it.

Dec 16, 2009
Final Fantasy 12
Bioshock 2
CoD4
MW2
Halo ODST
Resistance 2
oh there are so many more but I can't think.
There alot of games out there that i hated that would have been playable if the hype machine hadn't pegged them as the second coming of christ just for the game to turn out as ok. thats why the majority of the time i try to avoid hype as much as possible, which is difficult in communities such as ours.

SIDENOTE:I remember being on a forum where people listed their top 10 games.
one guy listed 4 that weren't even released.
so obviously I quested how a game he never played were in his top 10
apparently he knew they were gonna be good from their previews.
that mentality is half the reason we all get let down by the hype. Wether it be because you hold that mentality or because your surrounded by people who do.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Oh god... anything that sold extremely well in the last 5 years that wasn't made by valve. Your oblivions with(out) guns, halo anything, devil may cry anything, mass effect... The relentlessly test marketed mainstream is just so completely underwhelming. Partially because the games are piss easy, the rest due to the oppressive overuse of cliches.

Even worse is the constant reminder the average person loves whatever they're told to love.
Oh the irony...

So, do you actually consider yourself above the average person because you don't enjoy games unless they're made by a certain company? Wow...

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
Oh I dont know.. I guess FFXIII. It's not a bad game, but I guess I was just hoping for an improved FF12. Which I thought would have been the most logical thing to do, instead it was kinda.. eh. Interactive movie anyone?

Other than that I tend to go into a game paying as little attention to the people going "IT'S AMAZING! BUY IT!" as they hump their TV screens while trying to play, it kinda lets me form my own opinion.

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
half-life
gta san andreas
i don't understand why so many people love half life so much. i actually liked half-life 2 more than the original.

mip0

Nov 25, 2009

• Half-Life
    Silent Hill
    Resident Evil
I can't enjoy them 'cause their too scary for me.

• Kingdom Hearts
    Prince of Persia
*sigh* Don't know, can't explain.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Halo (entire series. Books are good though), Fable, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Half Life (all of them), and Gears of War. Those're the only ones I can really think of, at the moment, however...

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
A Pious Cultist said:
Phoenixlight said:
-Portal, I don't like solving puzzles.
Why on earth would you play it then?

The same question to the guy that named an several SERIES of games. If you don't like one why would you buy the rest?
Well Yahtzee (zero punctuation) said they were amazing games to I really tried to like them, but in the end I didn't. Quite like team fortress 2 though (from the orange box).

MMMowman

Mar 9, 2009
GTA IV, AoE III and Dead or Alive 4. They would be all better if I had someone to play them with.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Oblivion, most people love that game, i was bored out of my skull the moment i got out of the sewers to be chased by wolves and mages, and when i found out you can't actually move the plot forward till i was a higher lvl i gave up and sold it, for me it was a boring pile

I did love fallout 3 though, it's lore and immersion sucked me in quite well

Mar 28, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Furburt said:
Look, I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm just going to come out and say it.

Halo.
The original Halo:CE. Even people who hate Halo 2 and 3 say that Halo 1 was a masterpiece, but I just don't see it.

I mean, it's certainly a competent game and introduced many innovative features, some good, some bad, but as an entertaining experience, it just completely failed to draw me in no matter how many chances I gave it.
I hear you. I'm not sure why, but it just bored me to death. Admittedly, I didn't play it until long after it had ceased to be cutting edge.
I think part of that might be its not a game that ages well. But I'd agree with those who say Halo 1 was amazing.

Meilow

Dec 5, 2009
Furburt said:
Look, I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm just going to come out and say it.

Halo.
The original Halo:CE. Even people who hate Halo 2 and 3 say that Halo 1 was a masterpiece, but I just don't see it.

I mean, it's certainly a competent game and introduced many innovative features, some good, some bad, but as an entertaining experience, it just completely failed to draw me in no matter how many chances I gave it.

After a while, I gave up on it and went back to Perfect Dark.
YES! Christ, I do not see the fucking hype over Halo. Halo fans make such a goddamn big fucking deal about how "Halo revolutionized FPS games." No it didn't. It was just a fucking predecessor to Golden Eye with vehicles thrown into the mix. I gave 1 and 2 a decent shot, but the games never really made me want to buy them. They're just generic FPS games, with the good guys being space marines, instead of U.S./British soldiers, and the bad guys being aliens instead of "towelheads from Some-where-in-the-middle-east-ikstan."

People that say Halo is shit, simply have not played the game. I don't think that it's shit, it's just over rated.

As for MW2, it just simply didn't deliver. I played MW1 with friends and had a great time playing it. MW2 was so over hyped, that it just didn't deliver what you expected it to. Big deal, new guns, improved perks, and new maps. You could have released that as a DLC.

Edit: Also the Guitar Hero series, and Band Hero, or Rock band, what ever the hell it's called. I never got the thrill out of smashing buttons on a plastic guitar. The game is one giant quick time event.