"Great" games that failed to blow you away

Sveppi

Apr 6, 2008
I never got into Oblivion, played it for a few hours and then just stopped and never played it again. And GTA: San Andreas. I like the other ones but I just didn't enjoy it so I never finished it.

Octopusesgarden

Feb 15, 2010
Grand theft auto IV.The writing seems great but there are some really bad flaws,I've been stuck at this one mission where I've been outnumbered by a HELL of a lot of gangsters.Every time I die I go back halfway across the map and have to restart ALL over again.Plus,who the HELL thought it was a good idea to have the cars swerve out of control and have a police car right on your ass every time?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins. I liked the game, and all, it's just me and BioWare's games have a long and annoying history of frustration.

I had to start a new game on ME1 due to getting stuck at a part. Had to restart from about 3 hours back twice due to getting stuck on the freaking level.

In DA:O I had to restart twice due to that fucking Lost in the Fade section. I want whoever had the idea of doing that part to go commit suicide - right now.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
Killzone, Uncharted 1 & 2, Halo 3, Fable 2, etc...
Is it just me or are X360/Ps3-only games WAAAAAAAY overhyped. And I'm not just saying that, I didn't know that Uncharted 2 was for Ps3 only until after I completed it. I really couldn't understand the hype about it...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Killzone 2, I played it all the way through, I forced myself to play it and every step of the way I despised it. I hated how you moved, how you threw grenades, how noodly your character felt. He literally had to be made of noodles the way he was moving about. I'm not sure where all the hype came for this game but I couldn't sell it fast enough.

Final Fantasy XIII, I couldn't have turned from this game faster. Shiva is 2 robot women/motorcycles for some guy to ride? Bahamut is an airship or something? I hear you "play" a straight line for 3 hours+ that's all battles and cutscenes for the intro. Very much not interested. I'm sure some people dig this but even the very idea of this game pushes me far, far away.

H.A.W.X. I'll just say that after all the hype I liked Ace Combat 6 much more. Even the joystick you could buy for it was better than the HAWX stick.

Mario Galaxy, I've never liked a 3D Mario game beyond 64, the rest just weren't for me. This one even more so because of how he runs.

I'm not a big fan of hating games but there's been some big ones that I wanted to microwave because they're just NOT-FUN. Sure someone may like it but I'm more upset that I fell into the hype than anything else. Like Assassins Creed, should have waited for the reviews.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Half-Life 2 and Halo. Halo was done better on PC before, and Half-Life 2 was a railshooter with some action sequences. I still can't see how Gordon Freeman is worshipped as much as he is. Sure his minute background as an MIT trained scientist makes him an unlikely hero, but in the first hour of Half-Life he's firing a 9mm glock and smashing headcrabs like a pro. His dialogue is nil, but he's presented as an intelligent hero. I love the first Half-Life, but his cult has ruined the games for me. Well, that and spending at least 1/3 of a game in a hoverboat or a car. In the first game it seemed realistic, you were an unlikely hero surviving against impossible odds. In the second, you became a mute God-King that everyone worshipped, who couldn't even drive a dam car straight.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
For me, it would be:
Halo (even the 1st one, I got bored of it extremely quickly)

Final Fantasy VII- Hated Cloud, hated pretty much all the characters

Legend of Zelda:OoT - Its a good game, don't get me wrong, but in my eyes Majora's mask is a far superior game.

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
The Force Unleased, Prototype, MW2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Little Big Planet were all good games, but I just never saw what made them great.
And I kinda want to say Uncharted 2, but I'm replaying it and I am starting to lilke it more. I kinda don't want to include it, because it did blow me away by the fact that a Naughty Dog game didn't blow me away.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Starcraft, Fallout3, plain shooters, FF7-13 and all FFs made along the way after the SNES era, C&C past RA2, action cRPGs (like Gothic etc.) where i cant customize the protagonist form the start.. actually the list could go on, over lats year its majority of the hyped releases, they either dont bring anything that would keep me playing, are too short or just not among the game genres i enjoy.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Final Fantasy 7. I still can't really see what all the fuss is about, really. Final Fantasy 6 had better characters, better music, and better graphics (IMO, of course. It helps that FF6 was on the SNES with beautiful sprite-based graphics, that still look good today, while FF7 was on the Playstation when 3D gaming was arguably still in its infancy and, as such, has aged very poorly). As a side note, Final Fantasy games I *do* like: 4, 6 & 10 (I intend to play 8 and 9 one day, and possibly add to that list)

Both CoD4 and MW2 were kinda meh for me, the Halo series, too.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
probably SSBB. It's cute and can be fun with mates, but i'm kind of with Yahtzee on that one.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've probably posted here before but I'm sure I have more games to add since my last post:

Resistance 1&2
Killzone 2
Final Fantasy X & XIII
any given Madden
Half Life 2 [and all corresponding episodes]
Call of Duty series
Gran Turismo series

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Everything from Bioware is either hate or disappointment.

Every FPS since Half-Life2 with the exception of Bioshock. I miss the good times of half life, counter strike, deus ex, far cry, Unreal Tournament, Quake2, etc. I'm only refering to first person shooters tho, since I've liked a couple of other shooters like Uncharted 1,2 or Resident Evil 4

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Half Life 2 + episodes 1 & 2
MW2
Bioshock 2
Portal
Starctaft
L4D
Dawn of War 2
Halo 2
GTA: San Andreas

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Half-Life 2. It was a pretty average shooter. I don't understand why its such a big deal or why everyone is so anxious to hear when Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 will be released. Its just a sequel to an average shooter.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
World of Warcraft