"Great" games that failed to blow you away

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 4... Meh.
Bioshock. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it just didn't blow me away.
Resident Evil 5... It sucked. It took 4's approach, injected it with steroids, and added some bad AI.

Banzu

Jun 14, 2009
Oblivion

I want to like this game but for some reason it just does not grab me at all.

TheZapper

Jul 11, 2009
As I've said before, I found Bioshock to be very underwhelming, although that's probably because I knew the general outline of the story before I played it.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
half life 2
I just wasn't as impressed by it as 1. Only played it 1 time and thought that was more then enough. It's just an average shooter to me.
Far cry 2 was another one, sure it looked good but the gameplay was really bad.

edit: I forgot about Bioshock 2, which also needs a mention here, it was so boring i even forgot about it allready

justsomerandomguy

Dec 30, 2009
Portal.
I found it dull, kept loosing the orientation, and it was only a few hours long.

It's overhyped, no mater what the internet says.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
certainly the original bioshock. I'm sorry people it just kinda bored me... have mercy!

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
GTAIV - It was dull and tedious and totally lacking in content compared to SA.

Bioshock - Just didn't interest me in any way.

Halo 3 - Same shit, different gen.

Half Life 2 - Back in the day, yes, the physics were amazing. But by the time I got around to playing it on the 360, it just bored me to tears.

EDIT: Oblivion. I've played Morrowind more than most and found oblivion to be smaller, shallower, less varied, dumbed down, repetitive and frustrating. Not frustrating due to any sort of difficulty issues, more down to the limited spells and weapons, and also the insane physics engine that destroyed any ability to customise the world around me.

Jesus, even the lack of candles and lanterns annoyed me!

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I really can't understand how so many people can love those games.
Biggest fans of titles often players who experienced them during 1996-1998 debut. In retrospect, games were very flawed, but raw and real and great pen and paper RPG games made digital.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
See people can't say Halo on this thread because the majority of the sight think it's an awful game and therefore not considered great (I loved that game myself) also nobody tends to give that a reason (and "because 12 year olds and fratboys play it" is NOT a good enough reason).

I dunno... I guess I'll go with Fallout 3 due to the fact that it's just not my style of game. I can see why people like it, what with stunning visuals and interesting questlines but the fact is that I found it hard to get from point A to B without having to repeat an area which I, myself hate having to do...

Damn feral ghouls!

Deadpewl

Jul 23, 2009
Arachon said:
Daedalus1942 said:
What year did you play it? I have to ask.
It pretty much set the precedent for creating shooters with more in depth plot and puzzle solving gameplay. So, you're either extremely ignorant, or you didn''t play it when it first came out.
No, I didn't play it when it was first released, I played it about 3 years later.

However, compared to contemporary games, HL2 was nothing big back then either, sure, it had physics-based puzzles, but they were practically the same puzzle repeated over and over again, throughout the entire game, and as far as First Person puzzles go, they were vastly inferior to "proper" puzzle games such as Myst.

Another huge pitfall are the guns, a central part of any FPS, but in HL2 they are boring, they don't "feel" like guns, you get a very boring "standard" set of them, and the gunplay-mechanics are horrible (lack of ironsights, "rigid" guns etc). The only innovative thing was the Gravity Gun, yet it felt very gimmicky.

As for the plot, I found it shallow and predictable, the premise of "scary aliens coming out of an interdimensional portal" has been done before, better.
I found the characters relatively one-sided, you had the action girl, the absent minded professor, the mentor-figure, the "comrade in arms" and the big bad. The "no-cutscenes" approach was interesting, but ultimately broke immersion as I found that I could be hiding under a box, and characters would still talk to me as I was standing in front of them.

Ultimately, when you think about it, HL2 has not brought very much to the FPS-genre beyond what's developed by Valve. There are few contemporary FPS's that feature physics-based puzzles, or even puzzles at all, and the "no-cutscene" storytelling has seen little action outside of the Half-Life franchise (including Portal). In fact, I'd say the biggest contributors to the genre, as it is today, have been Quake, Rainbow Six and Medal of Honour/Call of Duty, possibly System Shock as well.

I also noticed that during my writing of this post, you have been insinuating that I am a "brat brought up on CoD 4, who thinks he knows it all", and requesting my MW2 rank.

I'd like to inform you that I was mainly brought up on combat flight simulators, and Myst. And I don't play CoD, in fact, I far more enjoy Tactical shooters such as the SWAT series, early Rainbow Six games and STALKER when it comes to FPS's.
Ooooh! And the Half-Life elitist goes down in one blow!
OT:
Half life 2(didnt have fun with it)
Too Human (the reason why Im never listening to professional reviewers ever again)
Final Fantasy 12
and Grand Theft Auto. All of them. (got boring after a while and I ended up just using a cheat code to go on a rampage or something)

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 and GTAIV.
I still haven't bothered finishing them because when I think of playing them I feel depressed. More like it's a chore to get through them than something I might enjoy. I did briefly enjoy both of them at one point but the feeling quickly faded so I stopped playing. (For the record - I liked GTA:SA and Vice City was alright. And I liked Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare was okay).

Half-Life
I'd also say (and I've said this before) I hate Half-Life, and was bored to tears by Half-Life 2, and HL2:EP1, yet HL2: EP2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

God of War
Not blown away by God of War either, if you strip back the graphics it really is a very generic and repetitive beat-'em-up, the likes of which I've played many times before. It does however, have excellent presentation and I can competely understand why other people might like it.

Final Fantasy 7
I could give two shits about FF7, even though I played the whole way through back in the day. (Chronotrigger is an all time favourite though).

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
And I felt like getting through Zelda: Ocarina of Time was a chore (and I was playing the day it was released). Loved Link to the Past, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask but Ocarina of Time felt forced, unfinished and unfocused.

I'll admit I'm very cynical when it comes to games, and all of the games I have named are quality games that have many merits, but personally, I got very little or no enjoyment out of them.

Jeneral Joe 117

Jul 11, 2009
Id have to say Star Wars Force Unleasehed. Dont get me wrong very good game but not the all singing all dancing game that was promised.