"Great" games that failed to blow you away

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I really can't understand how so many people can love those games.
A quick, serious, question, did you turn off combat mode once you killed everyone and did you focus your character?
Fallout 1-2 are pretty harsh for new players.

Anyway, I couldn't stand GTA 4, boring puddle of brown muck that it was.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well I'm going to have to say Half Life 2. I think the main reason I was dissapointed was that everyone I knew immediatley said stuff like 'action packed extravaganza with much more substance then any other FPS'... usually this was in context of me saying I liked Halo.
So I sat down and well, I gotta say it just was not my cup of tea, given that gun fights ended very quickly and large sections of the game were just puzzle solving sections and even worse occassionally I just got lost.
Now I'm not the kind of person who can't enjoy a good puzzle game now and then, I adored Portal for instance, but the fact remains everyone had told me it was going to be the 'bestest FPS action ever, much better then that bland ol' Halo' so I was eager to perhaps not find the next Halo but still damn good action and unfortunatley I was misinformed.
I don't think Half Life 2 is a bad FPS but it's not what I had expected and even though the story aspects where certainly interesting and the visual aesthetic was appealing and some of the weapons were cool, at the end of the day it wasn't the game I thought it would be.
I respect the opinions of those who do enjoy it because I can certainly see how it would appeal, it just doesn't for me personally.

I guess I prefer FPS's on the calbire of Halo or Bioshock.

P.S just for the record, isn't this basically another 'this game is overrated' thread, i.e a chance for everyone to complain wholeheartedly about games they claim to hate but won't resist talking about? You know the ones, the threads that are basically troll/list threads with a funny hat on?

The Brewin

Aug 23, 2009
without a shadow of a doubt Halo. Sure, its not bad, and it works perfectly well but...well thats all it feels like...not bad. Storys cliched and I feel considering the rabid fanboyistic praise it gets it should actually play excellently. It just never blew me away. I honestly feel the only reason people love it so much is because its console exclusive.

Just a good game

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Milky_Fresh said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Arachon said:
Half-Life 2... Extremely mediocre.
What year did you play it? I have to ask.
It pretty much set the precedent for creating shooters with more in depth plot and puzzle solving gameplay. So, you're either extremely ignorant, or you didn''t play it when it first came out.
I would just like to say that just because he disagrees with you doesn't make him ignorant. See this all the times in the forums. Oh you like panic at the disco? Go spread your ignorance somewhere else, you don't understand music.
It's totally fucking obnoxious.
I'm not trying to be hostile, or start a flame war, but just don't say that.
The majority of people I've come across who say what he did about it being "extremely mediocre" are usually little brats brought up on Call of fucking duty 4 (haven't even played the ones set in WWII) think they know it all and say Half Life 2 is crap. They haven't played it when it first came out. They have no respect for what it did to inspire shooters that came after it and they're ignorant.

Bakaferret

Jun 18, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
-Drifter- said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Arachon said:
What year did you play it? I have to ask.
It pretty much set the precedent for creating shooters with more in depth plot and puzzle solving gameplay. So, you're either extremely ignorant, or you didn''t play it when it first came out.
Or maybe they just didn't like it.
If he called it extremely mediocre, he probably played it recently and just "didn't see the hype".
When it first came out, it was original, innovative, and had a good story (something most shooters didn't have). It set the standard for many games released after it. Calling it "mediocre" shows he has no respect for what it contributed to today's videogames industry.
Before games like HL2, the puzzle elements in shooters were finding different coloured keys for different coloured doors (with the exceptions of Deus Ex (which was largely ignored when first released) and System Shock I and II).
OR...maybe he just didn't like it. I don't think it has anything to do with when he played it. To be honest, some of the best games stand the test of time. I STILL love playing Ocarina of Time, to this day, because it was very entertaining...plus, I didn't play HL until last year and loved it, even though it was a lot of what I'd already seen before. So I thinking timing is rather irrelevant. From a logical standpoint, yeah, he probably appreciates it's innovative quality. But that doesn't mean he has to like it. :/

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Well I'm going to have to say Half Life 2. I think the main reason I was dissapointed was that everyone I knew immediatley said stuff like 'action packed extravaganza with much more substance then any other FPS'... usually this was in context of me saying I liked Halo.
So I sat down and well, I gotta say it just was not my cup of tea, given that gun fights ended very quickly and large sections of the game were just puzzle solving sections and even worse occassionally I just got lost.
Now I'm not the kind of person who can't enjoy a good puzzle game now and then, I adored Portal for instance, but the fact remains everyone had told me it was going to be the 'bestest FPS action ever, much better then that bland ol' Halo' so I was eager to perhaps not find the next Halo but still damn good action and unfortunatley I was misinformed.
I don't think Half Life 2 is a bad FPS but it's not what I had expected and even though the story aspects where certainly interesting and the visual aesthetic was appealing and some of the weapons were cool, at the end of the day it wasn't the game I thought it would be.
I respect the opinions of those who do enjoy it because I can certainly see how it would appeal, it just doesn't for me personally.

I guess I prefer FPS's on the calbire of Halo or Bioshock.

P.S just for the record, isn't this basically another 'this game is overrated' thread, i.e a chance for everyone to complain wholeheartedly about games they claim to hate but won't resist talking about? You know the ones, the threads that are basically troll/list threads with a funny hat on?
See people? I have nothing against this guy not liking it because he didn't call it crap or "extremely mediocre". He possibly didn't play it when it first came out, but he at least has respect for it. He's not some brat brought up on Call of Duty 4 who thinks he knows all.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Arachon said:
I notice you still haven't replied to my post. What praytell makes it mediocre? and what year did you actually play the game? Also... what's your Rank on Modern Warfare 2?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I know what you mean. I started out Fallout 1 and I killed something and went to a city. I then realized that it was insanely boring. I loved Fallout 3 and everyone says it was a disgrace to the series when I think it was the best one they made.

Bakaferret

Jun 18, 2009
...I hate these threads. Every single time, someone has to go bonkers after someone else calls their favorite game of all time a piece of crap. Then the flame wars start and it all spirals downhill from there.

Also, I wasn't too impressed with FF7...maybe it's because deep down in my heart, I'll always be a Chrono Trigger girl.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Furburt said:
Look, I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm just going to come out and say it.

Halo.
Don't worry. Any hate you got will be multiplied tenfold by what I'm about to say:

Street Fighter IV, Heavy Rain, Portal, all Half Lifes, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Team Fortress 2 and every single Final Fantasy.

I have specific reasons for all of these, but suffice to say, I really don't like these games. It's not a hate for popular things. I like Halo just as much as the next guy, I play a bit of MW2 when the feeling takes me and so on and so forth. It's just those, specific, highly rated games that I have no love for. In some cases, I even have hate when I look at them and think "Why is this so well praised?" Obviously, I know the reason is "People have different opinions, jackass", but it's hard to understand people's love for certain games. For instance, all I hear about Half Life is "The storyline is really good!" Well, that's great, but it's no well rounded shooter. Just in the same way people like Batman: AA because "You get to be the goddamn Batman!" Well, gee, thanks, but I still think it's ridiculously repetitive.

Like I said. I could go on.

[sup]By the way, my favourite games are Fable: TLC, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect. You know. Because people are going to need to vent their anger toward me in some way.[/sup]

Bakaferret said:
...I hate these threads. Every single time, someone has to go bonkers after someone else calls their favorite game of all time a piece of crap. Then the flame wars start and it all spirals downhill from there.
I don't know about that. Flame wars tend to start about more serious issues on here. Like I've always said, the flame wars on the Escapist are less frequent, but more brutal.

Wait a tic. Actually...

Daedalus1942 said:
Arachon said:
...I take back that last point.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Pokemon.

I'd hate to be the first to say it, but I honestly think the only reasons all of my friends played was because all of my friends played and because of the meta-game rather than the actual 'game' contained in the cartridge.

That said, I know it isn't bad, and gen 4 has a lot of awesome stuff, and there's a lot of strategy and tactics involved at the competitive level.

elderscrolls584

Mar 15, 2010
The Final Fantasy Series. So many people freak out about it, and I don't get the point. They're just uninteresting and boring.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
One that stands out... is Bioshock. I bought it thinking it would be atmospheric, and I love atmosphere. But what happens when I play it is that it is far too chaotic for me to enjoy. The pacing ruins any chance of atmosphere settling, and the gameplay is just erratic. Could've been very good, but it just didn't appeal to me at all. Still haven't finished it as it bores me to frustration.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I find with the First Two Fallout games (Three if you let me count Tactics)..it's more your a fan of the gameplay style or not.. me personally loved it.

Also Halo's 1-3 didn't blow me away, they were fun and I can see how Halo 3 can be a really good graphical game.