Great masterpieces... that suck!

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
TheDoctor455 said:
Romeo and Juliet just wasn't my cup of tea... but what I will say in its defense is that nearly all of the "cliches" people claim it has... that play actually STARTED them.

However... I just cannot stand Beowulf and Canterbury Tales... those two are just torture for anyone that doesn't happen to be a middle-english scholar.
I don't like Beowulf either.

In my opinion, it read something like this:

Man angry! Man smash dragon! Man wonderful because he smash dragon! Love man for smashing dragon! LOVE HIM!

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
archvile93 said:
jboking said:
What game were you playing, I never backtracked, at least not far enough that enemies within the same level respawned.
I think I'm starting to understand why we ended up with two drastically different experiences. We are two completely different types of gamer.
They chase you. It doesn't help unless you can get a good five miles between you and them. they're pretty damn relentless.

How hurt were they when they went into the wall? I never saw that do more than an eigth of their health, and there aren't nearly enough high ledges to take advantage of shoving them off. It's also hard to get into a posistion to take advantage of such moves since they'll kill you faster than a claymore in call of duty, and not when you're wearing the flak jacket.
I spent the time using google since I'm tired of explaining my strategies or how it can be properly used. so here, Link - look at combat strategies
I guess it doesn't, but unwinable scenerios should never be in a game and is always a terrible idea. And you know it's bad when even Yathzee said that they improved it in the sequel by adding quick time events. Now that I think about it, what was the point of hacking anyway? All it did was reduce prices by about $2.
You never hacked a security camera? It served the purpose of keeping the annoyance of the security down and helped by making the security respond to enemies.

emmademented

Jun 9, 2010
The Odyssey?
Holy crap. But it's awesome! O'course I'm more than slightly biased cause I'm doing an entire paper on it at uni.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
jboking said:
archvile93 said:
jboking said:
What game were you playing, I never backtracked, at least not far enough that enemies within the same level respawned.
I think I'm starting to understand why we ended up with two drastically different experiences. We are two completely different types of gamer.
They chase you. It doesn't help unless you can get a good five miles between you and them. they're pretty damn relentless.

How hurt were they when they went into the wall? I never saw that do more than an eigth of their health, and there aren't nearly enough high ledges to take advantage of shoving them off. It's also hard to get into a posistion to take advantage of such moves since they'll kill you faster than a claymore in call of duty, and not when you're wearing the flak jacket.
I spent the time using google since I'm tired of explaining my strategies or how it can be properly used. so here, Link - look at combat strategies
I guess it doesn't, but unwinable scenerios should never be in a game and is always a terrible idea. And you know it's bad when even Yathzee said that they improved it in the sequel by adding quick time events. Now that I think about it, what was the point of hacking anyway? All it did was reduce prices by about $2.
You never hacked a security camera? It served the purpose of keeping the annoyance of the security down and helped by making the security respond to enemies.
Those strategies really didn't help at all or explain your point. It only seems useful toward houdinis and nitros, neither of which ever caused me any problems, even when I only had the wrench. Not to mentions it almost seems like you're admitting that only sonic boom is even remotely useful.

Yeah I gave up on hacking cameras do to the decent probablility of taking obscene damage from being electrecuted due to unwinnable situations, and drones were easy to sneak past. Attempting to hack a turret is just suicidal. You can disable it all you want but that doesn't make reaching it without being filled with lead any easier thanks to it's eight buddies. After you've killed them and reached the turret, you realize all the enemies are dead anyway, making hacking it pointless.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
archvile93 said:
Those strategies really didn't help at all or explain your point. It only seems useful toward houdinis and nitros, neither of which ever caused me any problems, even when I only had the wrench.
Direct quote from the article I linked you to: "Even though the damage of this Plasmid is dependent on several factors, it has the potential to kill a Splicer with one casting, even with the Splicers found in the final stage of the game. Splicers hit with either level Sonic Boom that crash into walls or objects at great speed, or fall of certain heights, will either be heavily damaged or killed."
Not to mentions it almost seems like you're admitting that only sonic boom is even remotely useful.
I've already explained how I used all of my favorite plasmids, but you seem just willing to dismiss it all as lies. It seems the only way I could convince you is to just fucking replay it with my strategy and record it. Too much work for an overly aggravating argument. However, if you want to take even a second, you can search the link I gave you and find legitimate strategies for every plasmid Bioshock uses.
Yeah I gave up on hacking cameras do to the decent probablility of taking obscene damage from being electrecuted due to unwinnable situations, and drones were easy to sneak past. Attempting to hack a turret is just suicidal. You can disable it all you want but that doesn't make reaching it without being filled with lead any easier thanks to it's eight buddies. After you've killed them and reached the turret, you realize all the enemies are dead anyway, making hacking it pointless.
You claim it's easy to sneak, yet you can't sneak past some fucking splicers. Which one is it? Easy to sneak, or not easy? I personally hacked a shitload and never, let me repeat that one more time, never ran into an unwinnable board.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
I no it's been said a million times but to kill a mockingbird. It had it's moments but the book was far too stretched out.

FlyingSquirrel

Dec 19, 2010
There is only one thing that comes to mind. Gabriel Garcia's One Hundred Years of Solitude. I have tried to read it three times. Three. It bores me like nothing else, and generally Nobel Laureates tend to write good books. Isabel Allende for example, she wrote some truly wonderful books - and she's even from the same continent and and same style of writing...

zega frega omega

Dec 5, 2010
Akalistos said:
Samuel Bloom said:
Ocarina of Time. Seriously, the plot sucked and there's no variety in the gameplay.
First: What plot? I may have miss everything but I thought that it was a standard "Save the princess from Black knight" routine. I don't think it considered as a plot.

Second: What variety? It cannon and well documented that the gameplay asn't change since Legend of Zelda - The adventure of link.

But yeah, I get it. You hated it and i loved it. Just want some clarifications as to why
Don't get me wrong, I loved that game like crazy when I was little, but now I'm starting to see the flaws as I begin to take interest in the more famous old-ish games (Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, FF7/6, the classics).

First: The plot is much more than just "save the princess." If it had been just that, I would bash on it for being to simplistic, but that's not the point. The point is the writers dug too big of a hole in the plot:
First off, the mcguffin: Zelda has Link go out and get the magic stones because she had visions of Ganondorf laying waste to the land. But if that's the case, why not just tell her dad Ganondorf is evil? I mean, the game makes it clear prior to meeting her that she can accurately predict the future, and if it's such common knowledge, why would her father ever distrust her judgement?
Second, the stones: If I have all three stones and the ocarina of time, I have everything Ganondorf needed to get into the temple. So I won, right? Nope, that's only half the game. If Link had just kept the rocks and not opened the door of time, none of this would have happened! It's like snatching a mad scientist's doomsday control and pressing the big, red button anyway.
Third, the resolution: What the FUCK. Seriously, the entire game was for nothing. The ending achieves in undoing everything I worked to do. Link goes back in time, so Ganondorf's still alive and is still plotting to take over! If I was to kill someone in the future, they would not die in the past, this is 1st-grade time-travel logic. *Spoiler for FF7* And it's not like FF7 in which the world is (supposedly) destroyed at the end (thus undoing everything you worked to do), because in OoT, the plot resolution was well within the characters' grasp. It's like if Cloud found a button that stops the meteor and said "Nah, let's do save the world the real way." Ugh. *End spoiler*

Second: Just because the game is of a series based on archetypal gameplay doesn't mean there can't be variety. Majora's Mask, which I consider superior to OoT, is the best example in the series. No two MM temples are alike, whereas in OoT, they all feel like the same dungeon with a swapped color palette.

In conclusion, it's just not as good as people say it is. It's not bad, but doesn't deserve the praise of "genius" and "perfection" that people give it.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
I want to go back in time and kill Hawthorne. Hey, maybe I can go back in time and kill his grandfather. Save some witches, ya know?

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Most of Shakespeare. I mean Hamlet? Really? I did enjoy 12th Night and kind of The Merchant of Venice but man, his work may be good but I'd not call them masterpieces.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
jboking said:
archvile93 said:
Those strategies really didn't help at all or explain your point. It only seems useful toward houdinis and nitros, neither of which ever caused me any problems, even when I only had the wrench.
Direct quote from the article I linked you to: "Even though the damage of this Plasmid is dependent on several factors, it has the potential to kill a Splicer with one casting, even with the Splicers found in the final stage of the game. Splicers hit with either level Sonic Boom that crash into walls or objects at great speed, or fall of certain heights, will either be heavily damaged or killed."
Not to mentions it almost seems like you're admitting that only sonic boom is even remotely useful.
I've already explained how I used all of my favorite plasmids, but you seem just willing to dismiss it all as lies. It seems the only way I could convince you is to just fucking replay it with my strategy and record it. Too much work for an overly aggravating argument. However, if you want to take even a second, you can search the link I gave you and find legitimate strategies for every plasmid Bioshock uses.
You claim it's easy to sneak, yet you can't sneak past some fucking splicers. Which one is it? Easy to sneak, or not easy? I personally hacked a shitload and never, let me repeat that one more time, never ran into an unwinnable board.
The difference is that splicers will immediately lock on to your posistion the second you step foot within 1000 yards of them. Security cameras require a solid 12 seconds of direct line of sight before they send in the drones, and they make a very obvious sound while they do it. And I'm just telling you my own experience, it was rare to do any serioues damage to enemies with shockwave, just minor amounts as the standard. Also, I ran into unwinable boards all the time, usually on later levels and I know for a fact I'm not the only one, I believe it's one of the main things people complained about if I recall.

M Rotter

Dec 18, 2010
it seems like the escapist should sponsor a grave stomping for shakespeare. I dont disapprove of disliking shakespeare its just very funny :)

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
archvile93 said:
The difference is that splicers will immediately lock on to your posistion the second you step foot within 1000 yards of them. Security cameras require a solid 12 seconds of direct line of sight before they send in the drones, and they make a very obvious sound while they do it. And I'm just telling you my own experience, it was rare to do any serioues damage to enemies with shockwave, just minor amounts as the standard. Also, I ran into unwinable boards all the time, usually on later levels and I know for a fact I'm not the only one, I believe it's one of the main things people complained about if I recall.
That's fine. I've already come to the conclusion that we play very differently and that probably lead to a lot of the differences in our experience. I found hacking cameras early on to be useful. Sonic boom(I assume that's what you are referring to) had a lot of use for me as I found was to use it that often led to me killing my opponent. I probably hacked less towards the later sections due to my excess of plasmids by that stage, so you may have a legitimate point. It's just not something I came up against. I don't know if it was one of the main complaints, and I don't feel like digging it up.

stutheninja

Oct 27, 2009
Drakmeire said:
Anything by Pink Floyd, the later work of the Beatles, and Radiohead. I know they are geniuses but I think as musicians they fail and produced some truly unlistenable music even if it was deep, meaningful and experimental.
I don't know how anyone could hate Floyd, but i do know what you mean about the late Beatles, it kinda sucked compared to their earlier work