Great musicians that died too young.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Guess I've got to mention Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, drummer of Avenged Sevenfold. Not only was he one of the greatest drummers the world has ever seen (Neil Peart himself has even credited him as being one of the best), he was an incredible songwriter (A Little Piece of Heaven comes to mind) and a rather unique vocalist. A7X just won't be the same without him.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
curlycrouton said:
Jeff Buckley
Oh come one.I saw the name of the thread and i was just about to type that.And then the first reply ninja'd me.Damn you to hell.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Why the king of course. No not Michel Jakson, i never liked the guy, im talkin Elvis.

I don't care if 42 was old ofr some people, he would have died too young if he died of old age.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Not Good said:
Jamanticus said:
Not Good said:
Ironic, seeing as I didn't name him in my original post. In any case I'm actually glad he sort-of died because now Death can't ever get worse, they can only get better through constant listening.
Name who?

We won't understand what you're talking about unless you use the quote button- hitting the reply button means you're replying to the thread, not the poster you intend to reply to.
Death was the reference to Chuck Schuldiner, an innovative heavy metal guitarst who was the front-runner of the aforementioned band, and I did press the quote button but the quote dissappeared as hitting the quote button refreshes the page. Hence, I have to hit it twice. Pardon me if that happens in the future.
You deserve a fucking medal bro.

The three extreme metal profiles that died before their time
Chuck Schuldiner (At least Hendrix, Dimebag, Cobain died instantly, he suffered for three years! What kind of justice is that?)
Quorthon
I may be flagged for this but Euronymous and Dead. Euronymous was a huge asshole but without him and Dead black metal went down the shitter.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Milkatron said:
\
Cliff Burton, Dime-bag Darrell, and Quorthon (because metal kicked more ass while they were alive)
\
You win a million points for mentioning Quorthon! Thank you!

Yes, if only Cliff Burton was still alive, Metallica might have remained awesome.

Also I can't believe Chris Schuldiner lost his life to a tumor :(. He never got to live through the turn of the century.

And as he said above, if only Quorthon lived! According to Wiki he was going to release part 3 and 4 of the Nordland saga.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy Holly
Cliff Burton, Bassist of Metallica
John Bohnam, drummer of Led Zep
Stevie Ray
Bon Scott

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
aruseusx said:
I may be flagged for this but Euronymous and Dead. Euronymous was a huge asshole but without him and Dead black metal went down the shitter.
Holy I totally forgot about them, yeah I don't care how they were I wish they didn't die either I miss the days of Deathcrush.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Cobain, Tupac, Bonzo, Lennon, Rick Wright, and almost Travis Barker. Fortunately, he didn't go the Lynard Skynard way, i.e. in a big fiery plane crash.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
SantoUno said:
aruseusx said:
Holy I totally forgot about them, yeah I don't care how they were I wish they didn't die either I miss the days of Deathcrush.
Deathcrush - Near classic black metal
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - The template of black metal
Wolf Lair's abyss - A good sequel
GDOW - Reasonable experimentation
Chimera - Good return to form
Ordo Ad Chao - As above

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Dense_Electric said:
Guess I've got to mention Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, drummer of Avenged Sevenfold. Not only was he one of the greatest drummers the world has ever seen (Neil Peart himself has even credited him as being one of the best), he was an incredible songwriter (A Little Piece of Heaven comes to mind) and a rather unique vocalist. A7X just won't be the same without him.
I bet your only saying that cause he's dead. I can name many drummers way better than him without including John Bonham.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
ddq5 said:
Cobain, Tupac, Bonzo, Lennon, Rick Wright, and almost Travis Barker. Fortunately, he didn't go the Lynard Skynard way, i.e. in a big fiery plane crash.
The Lynard Skynard way? Isn't that the Randy Rhodes way?

TheBigJadowski

Sep 20, 2009
Eric Carr (KISS), and Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy). Forgot his name but the former lead singer of Boston, Dimebag Darrell, Layne Staley, the REAL Guns N' Roses lineup, Chuck Schuldiner, Randy Rhoads, Freddie Mercury, Bon Scott (Those two, being the best hard rock singers of all time in my book), and SRV of course.

As far as Cobain's Muscianship goes, he was just mediocre at best, never could compare to the diversity of Staley and Vedder's voices, or Cantrell's guitar playing. All I remember Cobain for, is banging on power chords, playing simple riffs and screaming vocals. Don't get be wrong, he is missed, but he is way way over rated and cliched. And as far as Frank Sinatra goes, he was very old when he died, but still a great singer.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Giovanto said:
The Lynard Skynard way? Isn't that the Randy Rhodes way?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_240_N55VM_crash

Randy Rhodes too, and DJ AM died in plane crashes. In fact plenty of people have, including half of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Milkatron

Jul 18, 2008
SantoUno said:
Milkatron said:
\
Cliff Burton, Dime-bag Darrell, and Quorthon (because metal kicked more ass while they were alive)
\
You win a million points for mentioning Quorthon! Thank you!

Yes, if only Cliff Burton was still alive, Metallica might have remained awesome.

Also I can't believe Chris Schuldiner lost his life to a tumor :(. He never got to live through the turn of the century.

And as he said above, if only Quorthon lived! According to Wiki he was going to release part 3 and 4 of the Nordland saga.
Actually, Schuldiner died in 2001. And yes, Quorthon announced before the release of Nordland I that it would be in 4 parts.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
This thread is pathetic.

"Sigh, I can't believe nobody has mentioned . Oh well; you all have shitty music tastes, anyway."

I'm not even exaggerating anything, that's what half the posts above me are like.

It's curious how society glorifies those who give up their bodies (e.g. Buddy Holly, Janis Joplin) and minds (e.g. Brian Johnson, Syd Barrett) in the name of their art. We idolize them.

TheBigJadowski said:
As far as Cobain's Muscianship goes, he was just mediocre at best, never could compare to the diversity of Staley and Vedder's voices, or Cantrell's guitar playing. All I remember Cobain for, is banging on power chords, playing simple riffs and screaming vocals. Don't get be wrong, he is missed, but he is way way over rated and cliched.
No, no, you're doing it wrong. I mean, it's O.K. to have an opinion, but having an impossible opinion is illogical. Nirvana were pioneers in grunge; how can they be cliched? Sure, maybe every garage band that followed tried to rip them off, but they're the original driving force in underground grunge. They're the flagship band of Gen X.

As for his musicianship; he may not have been the most technical player, but he sure fused styles well. Hardcore punk, blues, Beatles; he merged it all cohesively into manageable chunks that could be appreciated by a wide audience.

I feel like I'm wasting my breath, though. Nevermind.