Greatest Game Opening EVER!!!!

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
My personal favorite was DC Universe Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4

Soooo epic, unfortunately the game itself, not so much. Also how do you guys put the video in the posts like that? Always wanted to know.

dead_rebel

Jan 13, 2010
Maybe not the best ever made, but the bit after the portal always gives me goosebumps.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZcKYhUXK2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

PS: Can't seem to embed the video. :|

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
I'm going to go with Bioshock, because we are talking about games and the best intro award should go to a game with an intro made of actual gameplay, not cinematics.

That or Portal 2. Because it was funny.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
On an epic scale, I'd have to go with Gears of War 2 or Gears of War 3, even though that was kind of a rehash or 1 and 2. God of War is also fucking epic, but I haven't played the series enough tbh. My PS2 is getting dusty...
As for my personal preference...

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
The Greatest "Game Opening" ever was Prey - regardless of how the rest of the game plays (I've quit twice right after getting a Bow & Arrow) - the first half hour of that game is art.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
I personally liked farcry2 a lot, mass effect 1 and 2 of course, (haven't played 3 yet too scared). Penumbra is great, Oblivion though... Oh shit man, I watched that monologue by Capt. Picard and all those daedra marching through oblivion and I was like: "Awww yeah, that's the stuff I'm going to pummel some dulap dangling daedroths."

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Super Mario Galaxy. You start all strolling along, "oh, there will be some lead up before the shit hits the fan" is your thought, then BAM, Airship attack, Shit's on! Great juxtaposition of peace and chaos, followed by a feeling of helplessness and powerlessness. Talk about kicking things off right.

That or God of War 3. You start off storming Olympus, and before you even have time to catch a breath, you're fighting gods and titans in spectacular ways. Wonderfully done.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
My favorite.

And a bonus, simply because it blew my mind back when I first saw it, I still remember those goosebumps.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Mass Effect 3 intro (after the whole stupid ass diplomatic thing).

The kid dying. Made it feel so much better.

And then after the escape from the cathedral Assassin's Creed thr... brother hood has a superb opening. The raid on monteriggioni. excellent

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Vault101 said:
thats a hard one..its always the opening that stands out to me

id say Bioshock...or

[i/]what about shepard?[/i]
Is that the kind of person we want protecting the galaxy?

That's the only kind of person who can protect the galaxy.

For me it has to be one of the MW2 intros, which for the uninformed aren't Call of Duty Games...Oh and my absolute favorite, more than MW2 vanilla or Ghost Bear's Legacy would have to be Mercenaries...

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
GiantRaven said:
DJjaffacake said:
[MASS EFFECT 2]
You effing die
Not a chance. I'd put that as a contender for one of the worst openings in a videogame. There's no sense of tension at all. You die in the first ten minutes and then five minutes later you're all up and ready to go again. Nobody is fooled into thinking that Shep is really dead, so what's the point in opening up with that?

However, it would be perfect if used as an epilogue after the end of the first game. Then we would've had the rampant speculation and uncertainty that such a dramatic event should illicit, making your triumphant return at the start of the second game even more epic.
Unfortunately, fiction doesn't work that way anymore. You can blame the comics industry and their spreading influence for that.

If ME1 had ended with Shepard's death, you would have one half of the fanbase proclaiming that it was the "greatest ending ever" because of the way the game's bold anti-sequel statement. Cue the sequel. Oops.

Even if on the day of ME's release Bioware came out with a public statement on every page of the internet to say that "there will be a sequel, the end of this game isn't an end but a sequel hook," fans still wouldn't know what to make of the resurrection. Was it always planned that way from the start? Was Shepard going to be replayable, was Shepard not as dead as we thought, was Shepard supposed to get resurrected precisely the way it happened? So on and so forth.

Resurrection at the beginning isn't there to build tension, it's to make a statement. "We don't take death lightly. When it happens, we know exactly what we're doing. We don't cross our fingers and hope that eventually we'll come up with a good follow through." It's simply an essential part of the plot, NOT the blind grab for controversy and attention that it would have been as an ending.

That doesn't mean you have to like it as a beginning. But as an ending for a part of a trilogy, it'd be pretty cheap.

As for my own picks,

1. Bioshock.
2. Mass Effect 2.
3. Wrath of the Lich King.

Honorable mention: it looks like shit, but really, really atmospheric shit with some amazing music and voice acting.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
rekabdarb said:

And then after the escape from the cathedral Assassin's Creed thr... brother hood has a superb opening. The raid on monteriggioni. excellent
But didn't the kid come back as the Deus Ex Machina Exposition Mouthpiece?

I prefer Fallout: New Vegas

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
It's pretty damned old by gaming standards, around 17 years old at this point, yet I still love this intro. Probably the first proper 'cinematic intro' I ever saw for a game and it absolutely blew my mind at the time.

So maybe it's just nostalgia speaking but I freakin love this little cinematic.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Ed130 said:
rekabdarb said:

But didn't the kid come back as the Deus Ex Machina Exposition Mouthpiece?

I prefer Fallout: New Vegas

shhh
nobody remembers that.

Also Bioshock has a damn awesome one. Again after the plane crash.

And one last one. Final Fantasy 10. if only for the music.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
dead_rebel said:
Maybe not the best ever made, but the bit after the portal always gives me goosebumps.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZcKYhUXK2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

PS: Can't seem to embed the video. :|
go like this - [ youtube = -ZcKYhUXK2s ], only without the spaces. It'll look like this:

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I can't decide between them, but I think the second one has a slight edge for being so restrained (no pun intended) -

Rather than go all out with flashy action, it sets the scene, tone and atmosphere for the entire game. Plus a cooler fictional language is hard to find in games.