Grumpy Pundit: Men Play Too Many Dang Videogames

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
woah that guys sexist seriously hes more sexist than a xbox 360 playing 13 year old.
(directed at what the first quote was)
Aborting all african american babys???? What is this I don't even...
as for the subject I say take your logic old man and go talk to gabe newell.
also marrige isn't the only important thing in life.

and I love how Game designers and groups like Penny arcade have acheived more than him, all hes acheived is being an asshole
edit:Yes I know it isn't as bad as it seems but hey my point still stands

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
"For the first time in history, women are better educated, more ambitious and arguably more successful than men"

Oh NO! Women are more successful than men? ALERT THE POPE! This heresy shall not stand!

Dec 27, 2010
If I'm honest, the whole abortion of African American babies and anger at the increase of educated women policies annoy me more than the idea that another old, white, right-wing twat thinks gaming is a responsibility dodge. I do have a grandfather, you know.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Actually reading the article shows that it's not nearly as inflammatory as you make it out to be. The only mention of video games, at all, is at the very end, and it seemed a lot more like an example than pointing specific fingers at something.

The whole thing in general basically just said we need better role models for young men. I see no problem with that. I'm not sure I completely agree, but this article is nowhere near worthy the amount of rage you seem to posses over it. The man himself may be incredibly distasteful, I don't honestly know and I don't particularly care, but that doesn't warrant attempting to discredit what he said. If anything, it would make more sense to accurately report it and let his distastefulness chase people away from his ideas.

I'm kinda disappointed, to be honest. This site always struck me as a lot more neutral, but I've seen a number of articles like this recently, where facts take a back seat to sensationalism. This article struck me as incredibly childish when I read through the source.

Edit: Context, it's a necessary thing.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Pfffft...whatever. I spend WAAAAAY more time dodging responsibilities and getting wasted than playing video games.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
with a clear and achievable notion of manhood
Whoever got the privilege of defining exactly what that notion is before it was spread and encouraged by the US government would have a great deal of power.

I hope we can trust that such an important message would be properly vetted for objectivity, tolerance, diversity and political neutrality.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I just hope that those of us that have jobs and play video games don't take this as a shot at us. He is focusing on those of us who don't do anything but playing video games. I even agree. I have a friend who does nothing but play video games and he could have a job if he wanted, but he's to caught up in spending his parent's money on games and doing nothing else. Guys like him need a wake up call.

Anorgil

Mar 24, 2004
For a clear and achievable notion of manhood, I propose to use the first definition from Merriam-Webster:

Man: An individual human, esp. an adult male human.
Is there anything not clear and achievable about "adult," "male," or "human"?

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I am 24. I have an associate's degree in accounting, a bachelor's degree in management, I've been employed as an accountant in local government for 3 years, I've been married for 4 years, I have a daughter, I have a mortgage, and... oh yeah, I also play video games.

So much potential wasted...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Hammeroj said:
That's funny, coming from a politician. Who should put down the sandwich.
Yea coming from someone who led the "War on Drugs" and helped flush America's education system down the toilet, I can't say I take him too seriously. Maybe he should've been playing video games instead of wasting his life.

His grandkids probably beat him at Wii sports last xmas and he's been nursing the sore spot ever since.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Funny he quotes Hanna Rosin to "support" his arguments when her points are much more nuanced. For example, he trots out the same tired "media culture affects our society" argument that if these male movie characters aren't providing a clear, traditional male role model for us, that boys growing into men won't know how to be a man. Rosin posits that as gender roles shift because of socio-economic influences, the culture industry responds by holding a mirror up to it. Hollywood is a lot more influenced by real life than real life is to it.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
If I can throw the ignorance-ball right back into his court, would he prefer that we put down the controllers and go back to the good old days of hard drinking and wife beating?

Now, I can't speak for everyone, but I have a full-time job at which I often work overtime to get things done. I make a decent living wage, and still have time to help take care of my fiancee and our home. I don't really understand what it matters what I do with my down time.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
This dude lost all credibility when it was mentioned that he wanted to abort black babies and that he hates gay marriage. I'd just ignore that bastard.

puncturedrectum

Apr 29, 2011
I've always despised this freedom-hating douchebag and this article just amplifies my major fucking hatred for this racist DEA cocksucker.It's especially tragic that a shitheel like this lives comfortably in some bitchin' house while the nonviolent drug users that he locked up are transformed into career criminals as they rot in prison.