Grumpy Pundit: Men Play Too Many Dang Videogames

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Dastardly said:
That is why it is acceptable for a 30-something man to have an unhealthy fixation with golfing, at the expense of relationships and responsibility...
My obsession with golfing was never seen as 'acceptable'... although that probably has something to do with not playing gold but waiting in the bushes around hole 11 with a five iron at the local private golf club... and now I can make an entire suit out of gold rolexes... rolexii? whatever... I just need to find a good lining for it... those watchbands pinch in the most delicate of places.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
I'm a grad student. I regularly work more 60 hours a week in the lab. I have a girlfriend with whom I recently moved in with, and we're figuring things out about how to handle finances and the more mundane matters of living together. I make jack and diddly squat, yet I still manage to make my budget fit.

I spend a couple hours a day playing computer to unwind.

Unlike him, my work will actually benefit mankind in the long run.

You can guess what my opinion of his words is.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Fuck this guy.

I'm doing MMA, have a scholarship and am dating two different girls; haven't I manned up enough?

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
This man is an ass. But like many, he does come close to having a point.

Those that are unemployed and cite 'no one is hiring' as the excuse, get a job at a fast-food place or in retail. Seriously, it will look more professional if you took a job, any job, rather than go unemployed until you can get one in your desired field. Few employers are going to be as interested in a potential employee if they lazily sat around for a year saying 'no one is hiring'... It is only an excuse at that point.

If you are unwilling to work at such jobs, develop a thicker skin. You are a bum, don't complain when called one.

This old fuck is an ass for making it a gender based complaint. All citizens have the responsibility to get a job and be a productive member of society. Regardless of gender/ethnicity/creed, it is part of the social contract for all the sweet perks we have for living in the west.

I mean, you don't really have to get a job, you can be a mooch if you want. I'd hope self-respect would keep people from being a complete and utter ****, but whatever, to each their own.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
So by "Drug Czar" does that mean he works for the Mendellin Cartel or something?

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Oh man, that was a good laugh. I cant help but think that it's a good thing that women are getting better wages and more degrees.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Hammeroj said:
That's funny, coming from a politician. Who should put down the sandwich.
Yea coming from someone who led the "War on Drugs" and helped flush America's education system down the toilet, I can't say I take him too seriously. Maybe he should've been playing video games instead of wasting his life.

His grandkids probably beat him at Wii sports last xmas and he's been nursing the sore spot ever since.
Haha!

Only a matter of time till his generation dies out and our generation can take over the job of talking down any new media/developments.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wait a minute, what was that about aborting black babies? Please, tell me that's made up just be controversial.

Jan 27, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Full disclosure: I am a man who has a wife, a family and I play videogames a lot. What do you have to say to me, Mr. Bennett? Have I not "manned up" enough for you?
Nope. Not until you've consumed the raw flesh of the bear you just killed with your bare hands, while roaring like a lion of sheer manliness!
>: D (or is it BEAR hands?)

....But no, really? This guy is exactly what the title says. A grumpy old man who thinks that just because men don't have the world by the balls anymore, we're a bunch of sissies who..........

You know what? I'm done giving him any more attention. *flips open DS and goes back to Advance wars*

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Greg Tito said:
A grumpy old man says the male sex should put down the controller and get a job.
A grumpy young gamer says the grumpy old man should put down the pies and get a salad.

I fail to see why I should take lifestyle tips from somone who is morbidly obese.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
That's kind of hypocritical, coming from someone with no dick.

[sub]Well, there's a reference I never thought I'd get to make.[/sub]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Bennett thinks it is a shame that women hold more college degrees than men and that their salaries are growing much faster than men."

Well... one's got to have more than the other.

OT: Overweight, middle-aged arse hole assumes gaming takes away from Important Activity X, but probably wouldn't give two shits if it was Hobby Y. What else is new?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nukey said:
Fuck this guy.

I'm doing MMA, have a scholarship and am dating two different girls; haven't I manned up enough?
Depends. Does each girl know about the other?

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
Although I extremely dislike the implied anti-feminine sentiment of his statements

"... this culture that sends confusing signals to young men, a culture that is agnostic about what it wants men to be, with a clear and achievable notion of manhood."

that statement is very true. I'm sure his definition of "man" and mine differ, but it is true nonetheless.

Overall, I remain opposed to his idea that a single hobby is the source of our lethargy. Society as a whole is just closing in on a breaking point. Things are too convenient and our demand for labor is less than our supply of it. I recommend reading the novel Fight Club, though it is only a treatment rather than a cure. The solution must come from within ourselves.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
Marriage? Hah! I swear, if I were born in the fifties I'd probably be even more ostracized than I am now.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
I think he's just offended that women are getting degrees and having successful careers.

In any case, I don't care what this man thinks is the good and proper way for a man to behave. I have a job and pay taxes, he has no authority to dictate to me what I should be doing with my spare time and if he were a real conservative he'd acknowledge that.