Guise of the Wolf Dev Takes Down Negative YouTube Review - Update 2

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
oldtaku said:
0.8 on metacritic! I don't think I've ever seen that low before.
It's actually 0.7 now, but Garry's Incident still "beats" it with 0.5. :p

I also think YouTube really needs to get their shit together. TB will survive this, sure, but other channels might not be so lucky if something like this happens. Also, as i have already provided an example in http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.842187-Yet-another-proof-that-YouTubes-DMCA-policy-is-broken on this very forum, if a malicious copyright-holder decides to file multiple DMCA notices through affiliates it is ridiculously easy to get a YouTube channel removed in one fell swoop without any way to respond to them. It's just sad and infuriating.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
I've been quietly following this story for a few days now, but after the latest developments I simply have to speak up.

Ho-lee hell. Are these idiots for real? Seriously?

I don't think I've ever seen a company handle a PR situation like this in such an incomprehensibly bone-headed manner. It's like they're deliberately trying to do everything possible to torpedo any shred of credibility they might have had.
The last company that I can recall committing such a massive PR blunder (Beside the Day One: Garry's Incident Devs) was that Paul Christoro guy at Ocean Marketing a few years ago.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
The best part of Steam Greenlight is all the terrible indie developers that slip through to be Greenlit and don't realize they can't pull that sort of petty bullshit once they're on Steam and in the big leagues. Censorship, whether on Youtube or on the Steam forums, aren't going to fly at that point.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
In what fucking backwards mirror retard universe do they think this strategy will work?

It's not like they don't have evidence this won't work. Look at all the other studios that tried this. Now they're dead. And you're digging your own grave while chewing on cyanide.

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS!! That actually made me laugh reading their e-mail! "Thus it will cost us nothing to send our lawyers to the UK..." He LIVES IN THE USA NUBS! Im just waiting for TB response video.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
After edit post;

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. This is getting better every day.

I'll probably spend the rest of my morning afternoon reading up on everything i missed last night. Damn you time zones.

It is sad for TB yea, but this is pure comedy gold. Can't believe that companies in this day and age are still so stupid to try and pull this shit off.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
I have something to add to this.

Inside gaming did a video about Guise of the Wolf in which they played it and ripped it apart the entire time. Turns out that video is now gone too.

It was known as "Wolf on Dumb Street".

Seems like they may be targeting anyone with a reputation that said their bad game is bad

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Tuxedoman said:
I have something to add to this.

Inside gaming did a video about Guise of the Wolf in which they played it and ripped it apart the entire time. Turns out that video is now gone too.

It was known as "Wolf on Dumb Street".

Seems like they may be targeting anyone with a reputation that said their bad game is bad
They seem to have made it private, which does raise a few questions.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I want Yahtzee to take a break from half decent games this week to have a go at this. I know that he would love to tear them a new one. Can't imagine it would be as easy to take a video down from TheEscapist website.

OT: This company really isn't professional in the slightest. I would take bets that my little sister could handle PR better than these tools.

Think they need to read this

Mod Edit: Added spoilers; please use spoiler tags when embedding images. Thank you.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I have to ask, but these "Emails" look like someone is literally fucking with TB. I mean no self-respecting corporation would 1. send out an email like that, 2. use language like that, 3. have zero signature block, or 4. I don't believe the email username in question.

I'm sorry, but I feel like he is getting trolled, and HARD. This all seems far too fake. I mean, "Jasmine" is their person in charge of answering this type of complaint? That's it, JASMINE? No last name? No office number or way to contact other than email? This is crap people. I bet you he could call them right now and they don't have a Jasmine working on their books. This is a troll DMCAing TB and trying very hard to kill, while regrettably a terrible company, a corporation that makes games.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Bradeck said:
I have to ask, but these "Emails" look like someone is literally fucking with TB. I mean no self-respecting corporation would 1. send out an email like that, 2. use language like that, 3. have zero signature block, or 4. I don't believe the email username in question.

I'm sorry, but I feel like he is getting trolled, and HARD. This all seems far too fake. I mean, "Jasmine" is their person in charge of answering this type of complaint? That's it, JASMINE? No last name? No office number or way to contact other than email? This is crap people. I bet you he could call them right now and they don't have a Jasmine working on their books. This is a troll DMCAing TB and trying very hard to kill, while regrettably a terrible company, a corporation that makes games.
You have to remember that they are (presumably) a small indie dev who have only released one product. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that they would have zero business sense. Also Valve use single name psudonyms when dealing with customers through the support system, at least every time I have contacted them it has been a reply from a generic single named figure.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Leviano said:
I want Yahtzee to take a break from half decent games this week to have a go at this. I know that he would love to tear them a new one. Can't imagine it would be as easy to take a video down from TheEscapist website.
I'm just being a little nitpicky here, but they wouldn't have a claim against Yahtzee regardless. Yahtzee uses no copyrighted material in his videos, whereas TB (and many other youtubers) use in-game footage with accompanied audio, both of which are copyrighted.

OT:
YT content creators, especially reviewers and LPers, rely on Fair Use to use copyrighted content, even though many of them generate original content around it. Fair Use on YT has fallen on somewhat shaky ground lately. TB is just one of many YT personalities getting the shaft from this crap (another popular one is Angry Joe, and he has been doing frequent video updates on the bullshit Youtube is letting pass).

This is as much Youtubes fault as it is these so called "developer" assbags. It's even more sickening when one realises the people getting screwed the most are the ones that MADE youtube what it is today.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
Wow they sound crazy as hell "We feel that someone pushed you to make that video, who is this guy/organisation?", do these devs sit with tin foil hats blaming their failure on a conspiracy?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
SamTheNewb said:
Clearly this company doesn't actually have any lawyers...
I don't understand what they want.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/pkdmslf/InternetToughGuy.jpg

I absolutely cannot wait to watch this particular train-wreck-in-slow-motion play out

Mod Edit: Added spoilers; please use spoiler tags for images. Thank you.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
Leviano said:
I'm just being a little nitpicky here, but they wouldn't have a claim against Yahtzee regardless. Yahtzee uses no copyrighted material in his videos, whereas TB (and many other youtubers) use in-game footage with accompanied audio, both of which are copyrighted.

OT:
YT content creators, especially reviewers and LPers, rely on Fair Use to use copyrighted content, even though many of them generate original content around it. Fair Use on YT has fallen on somewhat shaky ground lately. TB is just one of many YT personalities getting the shaft from this crap (another popular one is Angry Joe, and he has been doing frequent video updates on the bullshit Youtube is letting pass).

This is as much Youtubes fault as it is these so called "developer" assbags. It's even more sickening when one realises the people getting screwed the most are the ones that MADE youtube what it is today.
I know that Yahtzee uses no copyrighted content. My intention was that they never removed the video due to 'copyright material', that was merely a guise to take the content down. So if Yahtzee (guest starring Total Biscuit) made a video, Yes it would piss them off but they couldn't do dick about it.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
AH yes, TB is hit again by one.

Seriously Fun Creators is so losing out on this one. They have NOBODY at their side.

Look they made a game, okay, that was halfbaked, okay, that kinda worked, okay, but was quite not ready, okay. And they brought it out. And TB reviewed it.. as he does with games that are brought to him.

Fun Creators probably we're the ones even giving him a free copy for it. Not sure but ya know.

Fun creators is so going to lose this out. Time to rename your company!

But yeah another small company going into a hissy fit about their game sucking and the reviews showing it.

Look making one bad game isn't going to kill your company. Yes it was allot of money but if you can make a second game and that at least is half decent people are willing to forgive. Hell most people wouldn't even KNOW you made the first game.

But attacking TB. TB who is protected by Polaris.. that is like a baby seal trying to attack an brown bear.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
These guys really are going to regret picking on TB, he may be a small fry compared to these big companies but he is one of the Youtubers lucky enough to be with a big multi channel network (Maker Studios aka Polaris). They will likely see Fun get ruined for their blatant disregard of the law.

It is still totally unacceptable for Youtube to allow this bullshit to go on though, there are many smaller channels who have the same thing done to them but they unlike TB don't have a major media company fighting their corner and have to put up and shut up.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
masticina said:

Seriously Fun Creators is so losing out on this one. They have NOBODY at their side.

Look they made a game, okay, that was halfbaked, okay, that kinda worked, okay, but was quite not ready, okay. And they brought it out. And TB reviewed it.. as he does with games that are brought to him.

Fun Creators probably we're the ones even giving him a free copy for it. Not sure but ya know.

This last bit about renaming the company speaks to something I said earlier. I don't think that they should be able to come back from something like this. Assuming that the e-mails aren't just pranks (I seriously have no idea at this point) I want to make sure that this black mark is on "Jasmine" (and however is okaying these e-mails) forever!

Sounds a bit vindictive but you shouldn't be able to run away from something as stupid, petty and hateful as this.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
K12 said:
masticina said:

This last bit about renaming the company speaks to something I said earlier. I don't think that they should be able to come back from something like this. Assuming that the e-mails aren't just pranks (I seriously have no idea at this point) I want to make sure that this black mark is on "Jasmine" (and however is okaying these e-mails) forever!

Sounds a bit vindictive but you shouldn't be able to run away from something as stupid, petty and hateful as this.
It is indeed very questionable how good their legal council is. Or to say the least if they even have it! This might be a PR manager doing the job of legal council. Yeah not a good plan.

And yeah they might have to do what some companies long in the past have done. Like Wisdom Tree, you make shitty games or make big mistakes. You end up having to rename your company. Or that black water mercenary group I belief they renamed themself Xen.

Why? PR shitstorm from hell! I mean.. really really really bad PR.

Why? If they just would let it go.. and make another game that is awesome or at least decent. Then their name would be still good. Your first try at anything probably fails.