Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
VanityGirl said:
Bags159 said:
The story on Kotaku made it sound like there's no actual proof that they actually have enough of your CC's info to do this. Has solid evidence come to light since then or is this more sensational reporting?
The bad thing is that once they have your number, it is actually quite is to get the other info for Credit Cards. If you track a users IP address (also easy) then you can find their address. If you have their address, you can use their credit cards...

That's how I would assume they could get all your info. Plus PSN makes in enter all you CC infor anyways, so they have all that.
they would have fun tracking my ip, i have tried multiple times but the closest place i could track my own ip was 600km away...im aussie so my internet's shit.

im just glad that i bought a ps2 instead of a ps3 (more games i want to play on ps2 than ps3 seeing as i have a 360 and a really good pc)

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Celtic_Kerr said:
I find it interesting how this fallout is also un-nerving and hitting XBOX users hard.

Not trusting SONY is one thing, but here and there, you see people losing trust in microsoft as well, just incase this happens again.

About 2-3 weeks ago I was very tempted to put my CC number on the PSN... Glad I didn't
I'm not sure whether it's about loosing trust in companys, it's more about becoming more aware of the risks of attatching your credit card details to accounts. I think one thing is that, although it happened to PSN this time round, it could have just as easily happened to Microsoft for all we know. It is entirely possible that Microsoft has a better security system in place, but I don't really want to take that risk.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Well, glad I only used the point cards from Walmart... at most, I'm out the $20 that was on my PSN account.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Akihiko said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
I find it interesting how this fallout is also un-nerving and hitting XBOX users hard.

Not trusting SONY is one thing, but here and there, you see people losing trust in microsoft as well, just incase this happens again.

About 2-3 weeks ago I was very tempted to put my CC number on the PSN... Glad I didn't
I'm not sure whether it's about loosing trust in companys, it's more about becoming more aware of the risks of attatching your credit card details to accounts. I think one thing is that, although it happened to PSN this time round, it could have just as easily happened to Microsoft for all we know. It is entirely possible that Microsoft has a better security system in place, but I don't really want to take that risk.
Exactly what I've been saying old chap! I understand that SONY fucked up, but no one knows if SONY or Microsoft have better systems, and all we have now is a hacker claiming "bitches had no protection, and they even refused to buy the info back"

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
there is no proof, however, that these charges are actually connected to the PSN breach.
Of course not, but why not throw this into the pile of speculation and horseshit? Obviously we don't need proof of any kind to make sound assumptions.

Clantau

Apr 16, 2009
If you used a credit card on PSN before. Then went to your account info and cleared the billing info straight after, will Sony still have the data?

Chappy

May 17, 2010
I don't know to much on the subject surely if they start spending money on flagged cards that are possibly stolen can the hackers not be caught from some kind of trace of where the purchase came from?

I'm not a PSN guy but if I was I'd already have any cards of which their details were on PSN cancelled it may be a hassle but isn't a little hassle to replace your card preferable to the hassle of losing all your money to a thief even if you don't think your at risk?

I have to wonder after all this will PSN still be free, I was going to buy a PS3 just before this to play PSN. But after the hack they may have to charge to play so they can afford a better security system. :/

Talens

Nov 10, 2009
Complete Bull on the story, Sony never asked for your CVV (or CWV or whatever its called) so how could they have gotten them off the network

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
Sony are definately gonna suffer for this. They'll certainly lose customers fast.

Some will leave cause of loss of trust due to their bank accounts being endangered, some will leave from the sheer angert of not being able to play the gmes they purchased on PSN due to offline status (a feature that doesn;t effect xbox 360's) not to menton the estimated total 2.4 billion dollar lawsuits *in an earlier PSN hacker coverage report)

I think Sony is well and truely screwed.

Talens said:
Complete Bull on the story, Sony never asked for your CVV (or CWV or whatever its called) so how could they have gotten them off the network
Unfortunately a security code is only 3 digits long. Anyone with the equipment to breach to the core files of PSN will have a program to guess a 3 digit number.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
HankMan said:
Someone needs to held a
No, No this not the place.
oh it is, it ALWAYS is!
gotta love it!

On topic: I warned my PS3 owning housemate as soon as I heard the PSN went down (i am paranoid sometimes), so he had a fair bit more warning than sony were able to provide, It just sickens me that this was allowed to happen in the first place.
It would be a simple case of just changing the credit card details for most, but what if, like me, you are out of civilization for weeks at a time sometimes? if I didn't call him my friend for example wouldn't have heard about it or been able to do a thing until he got back, which sucks quite frankly, I know it seems a tad over the top, but if you are at even the slightest risk of fraud from any company suffering a failure of some kind, they should probably have to get in touch with you and inform you of the details personally, even if it is just one of those robot calling systems that calls you up and says the message to you (and I hate those but this seems to be the better option), the logical answer is that it would cost way too much, however my counter is simply that it will probably cost less in the long run than paying off those pesky lawsuits that are going to be coming along, and many will, because regardless of your opinion on sony themselves, or even the level of responsibility they had in the crime taking place, their system facilitated it and that will probably be enough for some people to call for their heads on spikes, myself, I aren't fussed, I don't own a PS3 and I don't have much of an opinion on who is right or wrong with respect to the theoretical lawsuits and sony.

On a final note, if this is in any way to do with geohotz, I will renounce my support of the cause he shepherded, I haven't turned against him yet like most of the internet because I don't know just how complicit he was in these actions.
Also I REALLY REALLY hope anonymous has had nothing to do with this, if they have then this is way too far.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Kalezian said:
Wow, Sony goes and claims that the info isnt usable, then are proven wrong... again.
Proven... by whom?

Here, let me give you an example.

* I HAVE STOLEN THE ACCOUNT INFO AND CC INFO OF EVERY AMAZON.COM CUSTOMER! IT WAS SO EASY! I WILL SELL THIS INFO TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER! *

By your standards, I have now "proven" that I got into Amazon's system and stole all their CC info.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Irregardless of whether this is actually true or not, I have to say something about these hackers in general...they are cowards. They are cowards because they can do things like steal people's identities without having the possibility of getting the shit beat out of them.

Clantau

Apr 16, 2009
Kalezian said:
Sober Thal said:
Better to err on the side of caution....

Get a new card, it's easy. If by some chance your bank wants to charge you for it, you need a new bank!

hell, some banks in the US are charging around $5 per transaction on ATM's if you use a card that isnt with the bank.

Isnt it nice when you only need $20 but pay $4-5 for it?

but yea, check regularly on recent transactions and the second you see a test transaction [usually $1 or some small amount], cancel it and request a new one.

I would go ahead and assume the worst though and start working on seeing if my identity was stolen too, its one thing to have your current credit card stolen, its another to have three new cards made in your name that you don't know about.

Clantau said:
If you used a credit card on PSN before. Then went to your account info and cleared the billing info straight after, will Sony still have the data?

Depends, did you put in the info then immediately delete it?

If so, maybe as a cache only, but chances are it was deleted when you yourself deleted it.

if you recently deleted it [April 20th-29th], then the info will still be on their Databases, since you weren't connected to the PSN, thus the info was deleted in face only.

either way though, I would keep an eye on your recent transactions just in case, better safe than sorry.
Last time I made a transaction to psn was over 2 months ago. I always delete the info straight after I do it. Just in case. And I'll keep an eye on it.
Knowing that Sony may not even have my Credit card data is a bit of a relief. But I still have to be carefull.
Thanks.