Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Matthew Lynch said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Well, I asked for proof earlier.
Now Sony's gonna have a real shitstorm on their hands.
And their customer trust is gonna die. really. really. fast.
at least in their gaming branch
Its already dying. There is another article here that details it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109646-One-Fifth-of-PS3-Owners-Are-Eyeing-the-Exit
well yea, I meant that it's gonna go up to a much higher percentage now, because up until this point there was still some doubt as to how much data was actually taken, and whether credit cards were compromised or not.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
To be honest, I'm not willing to risk it, I cancelled my card but I'm still quite nervous; it's just my blind optimism setting in.

I know I'm contradicting my earlier post here, but my immediate reaction is to find the positives.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
Well, I changed all my passwords already and am stopping by the bank today to get a new debit card issued, so not really worried. I was already going to replace the card, I just had to wait until today since the rest of the week, the bank closes the same time I'm leaving the office.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Bags159 said:
The story on Kotaku made it sound like there's no actual proof that they actually have enough of your CC's info to do this. Has solid evidence come to light since then or is this more sensational reporting?
Sensational rumors.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
Matthew Lynch said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Its already dying. There is another article here that details it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109646-One-Fifth-of-PS3-Owners-Are-Eyeing-the-Exit
well yea, I meant that it's gonna go up to a much higher percentage now, because up until this point there was still some doubt as to how much data was actually taken, and whether credit cards were compromised or not.
I won;t be surprised if this bankrupts Sony...or at least comes close to doing so. It;ll definatrly force them to take a good, hard look at their security countermeasures in all their products with internet connectivity.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so why didn't everyone who might have had their credit information stolen change the fucking thing?
i mean it's not like this didn't get tons of publicity

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Matthew Lynch said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
yeah, I do believe that article is utter bullshit. the statistics used in it is ridiculous in my opinion. a lot of people could leave the ps3 after this though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Maybe sony should have given us the OPTION of storing our data instead of just doing it.

Caisu

Mar 27, 2008
I'm in the UK, all the banks are shut for the next four days because we have the Royal wedding followed by the weekend and a May Day bank holiday! T_T Four days before I can realistically get a new card issued! I'm so screwed... I can cancel the old one, but not get a new one until the post starts up again after the bank holidays... This could *not* have happened at a worse time... (Except if it had happened at xmas I guess...)

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
Shadie777 said:
Matthew Lynch said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
yeah, I do believe that article is utter bullshit. the statistics used in it is ridiculous i my opinion.
That article was probably only a rough estimate of Sony's losses from this...but whatever the losses that happen...they'll definately dent Sony.

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
lotr rocks 0 said:
Embz said:
Misho- said:
Are debit cards at risk? I mean it's a silly question but I used a Debit Card, not a Credit card to purchase stuff. Well at any rate this made me feel real bad... I feel nausea now.
I believe so, if you used a debit card any money you loose through fraud may not be covered by insurance so contact your bank asap!
That's not necessarily true. I got $500 stolen from my bank account a few years ago from using my debit card at my university cafeteria ( I ONLY pay cash now fyi ;o) and the bank completely reimbursed it and also froze my account until I went in and got my account number changed and everything.

Granted I'm Canadian so it might be different here.

OT: This is pretty serious stuff, and even if its not completely true I'd be wary to make sure your information is secure.
I did say MAY not be covered lol

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Kalezian said:
I love how most people have selective memory when it comes back to this masterpiece of destruction.
And I love how many people are willing to believe just about anything that they read on the internet.

Sony has said that there was no evidence of intrusion into the CC database, that said database was encrypted, and that no CVV information was stored within.

Somebody claiming to have the requisite info and offering to sell it does not necessarily mean that they do, in fact, have that info. It means that they're looking to get some money out of someone. In short, it is not proof.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
So its now confirmed they were able to get into sony's encrypted data as well and access card data? ouch Sony fucked up big time.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
spartandude said:
So its now confirmed they were able to get into sony's encrypted data as well and access card data? ouch Sony fucked up big time.
Thats probably an understatement.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Fuck... Sorry to the people affected :/

I was on the PSN but I should be good, if they're only after profit from stuff like this, I never put in any credit card details and always used pre-paid cards. So I'm good... Right? I hope :/

I just want them to catch these motherfuckers and hit them with everything the law throws at them.

ArsenalMark

Mar 30, 2010
spartandude said:
No it's not confirmed, it's probably some kids pretending their cool by claiming they were the hacker and selling card details.

The person who did legitmately did it, must be quite clever to hack into Sonys database, then even more clever if he did somehow managed to decrypt card details. He would not be stupid enough to then start selling personal details.