Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
Fuck... Sorry to the people affected :/

I was on the PSN but I should be good, if they're only after profit from stuff like this, I never put in any credit card details and always used pre-paid cards. So I'm good... Right? I hope :/

I just want them to catch these motherfuckers and hit them with everything the law throws at them.
Including a very big sledgehammer to the ****. My little step brother has a PSP connected to the PSN...

-AC80-

Jul 10, 2009
quite simple, if my money gets touched i'll sue Sony for every penny that gets taken out of my account that i am not accountable for.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Fuck. You. Hackers.

As for GeoHotz, I actually respect him a lot more. He advised the hackers to NOT sell the information and don't be dicks. He was honest.

This is just another case of cyber crime, the fact that it was Sony has nothing to do with the homebrew community. These were nothing more than criminals after identities. From anywhere. It wasn't just Sony attacked, other companies were attacked and had certain info breached. Various networks were taken down, not just Sony.

People, stop blaming Sony now. It was not something they could see coming. Now that it's confirmed that it was cyber criminals, not just butt-hurt homebrew hackers, shit just got real. It could happen to ANYONE.

Sony really needs to beef up their security, make PSN extremely impenetrable and soldier on.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
New FAQ on EU PlayStation blog, FYI.

Yesterday, we addressed a number of your questions< relating to the malicious intrusion into our network. You can find that FAQ here. As we get closer to restoration of service, here are more answers to your questions, many of which are more gaming related:

Q: Will our download history/friends list/settings be affected by the PSN downtime?
A: No, they will not.

Q: Will trophies that were earned in single-player offline games during the outage be intact when the service resumes?
A: These trophies are intact and will be re-synched when the network is once again operational.

Q: Will my PS+ cloud saves be retrievable?
A: Yes, once PSN is restored.

Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?
A: From Sony Online Entertainment: ?We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a ?make good? plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.?

Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven?t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?
A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Thank you for your continued feedback.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Fuck. You. Hackers.

As for GeoHotz, I actually respect him a lot more. He advised the hackers to NOT sell the information and don't be dicks. He was honest.

This is just another case of cyber crime, the fact that it was Sony has nothing to do with the homebrew community. These were nothing more than criminals after identities. From anywhere. It wasn't just Sony attacked, other companies were attacked and had certain info breached. Various networks were taken down, not just Sony.

People, stop blaming Sony now. It was not something they could see coming. Now that it's confirmed that it was cyber criminals, not just butt-hurt homebrew hackers, shit just got real. It could happen to ANYONE.

Sony really needs to beef up their security, make PSN extremely impenetrable and soldier on.
I do agree with you...but here is the thing...Sony could have implimented the security to prevent this in the first place. Geo proved that the PS3 software was vunerable and by connection, the PSN. However, Sony chose not to beef up security...and now look at the result.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
josemlopes said:
I dont think that people are losing trust with microsoft, they are losing trust with the internet security overall, they are just removing the info that they thought that was safe off the internet.
The funny part is that, in the grand scheme of things, this was... well, not a minor incident, but far from the worst that's ever happened.

The whole Heartland incident was a hell of a lot bigger scale, with a vastly longer wait time between the knowledge that there was a problem, and telling the public that something had gone wrong, and the best part was that it wasn't even an online service. It was a payment processing corporation.

Ultimately, the only way to be 100% sure that your credit card information won't be stolen is to never get a credit card.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
-AC80- said:
quite simple, if my money gets touched i'll sue Sony for every penny that gets taken out of my account that i am not accountable for.
You're targeting the wrong people, bucko.

These hackers are CYBER CRIMINALS. This confirms it. Sony was a victim of a malicious attack that in turn, breached personal details of customers.

This is nothing new. It's happened before.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Matthew Lynch said:
MattAn24 said:
Fuck. You. Hackers.

I do agree with you...but here is the thing...Sony could have implimented the security to prevent this in the first place. Geo proved that the PS3 software was vunerable and by connection, the PSN. However, Sony chose not to beef up security...and now look at the result.
That wouldn't have mattered. Large banks have been attacked like this before, and they are supposed to be severely secure. Not the first time this has happened~

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Matthew Lynch said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Matthew Lynch said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Well, I asked for proof earlier.
Now Sony's gonna have a real shitstorm on their hands.
And their customer trust is gonna die. really. really. fast.
at least in their gaming branch
Its already dying. There is another article here that details it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109646-One-Fifth-of-PS3-Owners-Are-Eyeing-the-Exit
well yea, I meant that it's gonna go up to a much higher percentage now, because up until this point there was still some doubt as to how much data was actually taken, and whether credit cards were compromised or not.
I won;t be surprised if this bankrupts Sony...or at least comes close to doing so. It;ll definatrly force them to take a good, hard look at their security countermeasures in all their products with internet connectivity.
Well their other branches should probably be able to pad out these losses, but it'll definitely take a few years to really recover from this, and untold amounts of time to recover from lost customer trust.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Matthew Lynch said:
I won;t be surprised if this bankrupts Sony...or at least comes close to doing so. It;ll definatrly force them to take a good, hard look at their security countermeasures in all their products with internet connectivity.
Er... you do realize that Sony's video game division is only a small portion of the company as a whole, yes? This won't come anywhere near bankrupting Sony. Their stock prices will take a huge hit for a while, and they might have to dish out some serious dough in either settlements or legal fees, but ultimately this will just be a big pothole in the road that is Sony's fiscal year.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Matthew Lynch said:
MattAn24 said:
Fuck. You. Hackers.

That wouldn't have mattered. Large banks have been attacked like this before, and they are supposed to be severely secure. Not the first time this has happened~
Its a case of trust. The customer trusted Sony to safeguard their information. It doesn't matter that hackers stole the info, its the fact that information was stolen in the first place. When people suffer Identity theft cause of a screwup at a bank, the bank is liable for damages. Its the same with Sony...they are liable for the damages.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
Talens said:
Complete Bull on the story, Sony never asked for your CVV (or CWV or whatever its called) so how could they have gotten them off the network
Unfortunately, according to this story on Destructoid it looks as though they /do/ ask for your CVV #.

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-didn-t-need-your-cc-security-code-except-it-did--199973.phtml

So it looks like at least on playstation.com if you try to sign up for a PSN account they do ask you for the cvv. Whether or not they store it in their database is anyone's guess.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Matthew Lynch said:
Er... you do realize that Sony's video game division is only a small portion of the company as a whole, yes? This won't come anywhere near bankrupting Sony. Their stock prices will take a huge hit for a while, and they might have to dish out some serious dough in either settlements or legal fees, but ultimately this will just be a big pothole in the road that is Sony's fiscal year.
They will still have to spend money reviewing their ecurity measures in their other divisions.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
gamerguy473 said:
If Sony actually was offered the chance to re-purchase them, they should have jumped on it.
What would that possibly do? If they re-purchase info, obviously the hackers made backups. Duh..

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
MattAn24 said:
gamerguy473 said:
If Sony actually was offered the chance to re-purchase them, they should have jumped on it.
What would that possibly do? If they re-purchase info, obviously the hackers made backups. Duh..
Not to mention that might encourage future hacking attempts to 'hold personal information to ransom'