Halo 4 - Underwhelming?

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I just jokingly call it Crysis 3. Or maybe Crysis of War 3 since I'm pretty sure the lambent come back in this one too.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
daveman247 said:
Korten12 said:
ah, so was i on the right then? :D
You would have been if Bungie was still part of Halo, since they did actually plan on the Forerunners being the same as Humans, but 343i retconned this thus retconning part of the dialogue in Halo 3 where 343GS says: "...you ARE Forerunner!"

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
You know, if I listen really carefully over here in America, I can hear the sound of Yahtzee screaming in frustration and banging his head against a wall.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Got bored with Halo after Halo 2. Can only play the same game so many times.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zenn3k said:
Not going to bother anymore...

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
skywolfblue said:
GriffinStallion said:
I was very dissapointed with the new weapons. They look almost exactly the same as human weapons but with a new skin and red lasers instead of bullets.
/seconded

So we've got a "forerunner assault rifle" and "forerunner shotgun"... Not exactly innovative.

The rest of it wasn't terribly bad. Pretty close to the other halo games in terms of style and such.
not innovative at all, I had to look twice before I could discern them from the battlerifle and shotgun we all know ><

especially the shotgun wtf is up with that

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Korten12 said:
Zenn3k said:

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
You trying to argue against what I said or support it, I'm confused.

If the former: You point at stuff, you press button till it dies, if you get hurt, you hide till you are not hurt anymore. Walk from A to B.

MOST shooters are the same game, every COD is the same, every Halo is the same. The graphics might get nicer, but the gameplay remains the same.

Sakeretsu

Aug 15, 2010
I like the Entire Package of Halo :its a great thrill ride ,it has interesting Weapons (well up to now ...) Fantastic soundtrack (same here), the story makes you feel badass when the stakes rise higher and higher ,the environment is decent(here i don't know what to say it looks like Crisis 2) its fantastic in coop (local coop especially), Finally its Universe is a deep one that can be explored ingame and out.

-Start rant: The trailer did not get me excited (debut trailer was much better), are they really going with the live action characters ??? i was used to halo with stellar CGI (see cinematics of Halo Wars, if games get that good one day i will cry), i am also not the only one to pick the fighting Covenant nonsence wasn't 3 about ''finish the fight'' ,lets get a new fght going guys.
Also what have they done with the BTR ,its sound shit ,looks shit just do it over 343 .

But we can't really judge no details one any innovation or anything just a pretty crummy sneak peak of the game. After Anniversary i have hopes fro you 343 dont disapoint us .

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Korten12 said:
You would have been if Bungie was still part of Halo, since they did actually plan on the Forerunners being the same as Humans, but 343i retconned this thus retconning part of the dialogue in Halo 3 where 343GS says: "...you ARE Forerunner!"
But then... why do they look like people? X( A bit confusing i say.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I was happy with it, it felt felt haloyy. Wasn't as amazing as The Last of Us, Watch Dogs, Beyond: Two Souls, Assassin's Creed 3 and maybe Tomb Raider, but it was still pretty good.

Sakeretsu

Aug 15, 2010
True most Shooters are the same.I wont deny it ,but most games are about killing stuff and shooters are the most popular way of killing stuff.I would argue while Halo has indeed set the standard for FPS's in the industry and stuck too that recipe,

no game is like Halo in matter of pacing in the gameplay and a distinctive roster of weapons. While innovation in the franchise is minimal it expands on a tried and tested formula of gameplay through new angles in the Halo Lore, new types of storytelling and new ways to share the Halo experience with friends (talking about the new episodic Co-op Campaign in 4 *citation needed* ).

Although it is still Halo Combat Evolved gameplay wise (we'll see...) gamers likes continuity in a franchise and Bungie/343/(their Microsoft overlord) must be doing something right.
''MEGA MONEYY!!!!!''

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
daveman247 said:
Korten12 said:
But then... why do they look like people? X( A bit confusing i say.
Let me explain, the enemies in the trailer aren't Huma. Or Forerunner, they are Promethean synthetics created by Forerunners at an unspecific time. Forerunners are Humanoid but are only slightly similar to humans. Go to Halopedian and search Forerunner and all the info will be there.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Zhukov said:
Also, why is he shooting Covenant at the start? The war is over, they said it like six times. Also, didn't the Elites split from the other Covenant species? Why are they back together?
I might be wrong but the war didn't officially end until after the Chief got swept away into deep space, right? Which means he'd be unaware at first, hopefully it will turn out to be a misunderstanding and a bunch of Covies are pissed at Chief for killing their troops and it will make him look like a murderous asshole. I don't think they'll actually do this but it is the only way I'd actively support fighting the Covenant and even then it'd better only be for a fraction of the game.

EDIT: Not sure about the Elite split, they'll probably just make this some splinter group of the Covenant, that way they can recycle all the old enemies once again.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Korten12 said:
Let me explain, the enemies in the trailer aren't Huma. Or Forerunner, they are Promethean synthetics created by Forerunners at an unspecific time. Forerunners are Humanoid but are only slightly similar to humans. Go to Halopedian and search Forerunner and all the info will be there.
Ahhh, they aren't forerunners, makes sense. I'll just wait for the game to explain it to me. :p

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zenn3k said:
Korten12 said:
Zenn3k said:

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
You trying to argue against what I said or support it, I'm confused.

If the former: You point at stuff, you press button till it dies, if you get hurt, you hide till you are not hurt anymore. Walk from A to B.

MOST shooters are the same game, every COD is the same, every Halo is the same. The graphics might get nicer, but the gameplay remains the same.
Oh sure, we get new vehicles, weapons, enemies, environments, characters, armor abilities, game modes, space combat, forge mode, theater mode, new custom games, and engines that feel completly different, but apart from that? Completely the same game. (sarcasm)

bells

Jul 10, 2009
i never really liked Halo, but i did enjoy the Halo 3 Launch Trailer, That was a good trailer. It hyped the game... but this?

C'mon now... the game feels outdated. On every level. Every single one...

Here, let me Spoil Halo 4 for you... Cortana will turn bad and the second half of the game you will spend having a emotional struggle as Cortana and the Chief star to turn o each other as Cortana melts aways and the Chief sees himself forced to end her in order to survive, which will end withe a tearful "Thank you and goodbye" Routine by Cortana.

That's the game.

Everything that wans't CG or Live action looked Dated on that Trailer, it has nothing going for it except now Orange is evil, except it turn to blue which is also evil...

A trailer is supposed to hype you for the game... Halo 4 just fell right in line with Brown Shooter Cod and GreyShooter MoH it's Orange Space Shooter Halo 4.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
While I don't really see anything inherently wrong with that gameplay video, I don't really see anything 'right' either, the Forerunner AI looks pretty generic and the glowing skull reveal just presents a tonne of questions, the weapons are rather generic, and the world looks just like any other forest you'd see in a videogame, earth-evolved trees and all. I think it just doesn't live up to the expectation that grew out of the Forerunner legends. The way 343 talked about their weaponry being so much greater than yours, yet they turn out to be pretty standard, the enemies all have a very videogame-y feel to it, standard small swarm enemies, standard large enemy, standard miniboss...
And there's still no explanation about the suit. Why does he have a new HUD, new armour, new vision abilities? These better be explained.

Shotgun Guy said:
hopefully it will turn out to be a misunderstanding and a bunch of Covies are pissed at Chief for killing their troops and it will make him look like a murderous asshole. I don't think they'll actually do this but it is the only way I'd actively support fighting the Covenant and even then it'd better only be for a fraction of the game.
I would actually love them to do this, that would be an awesome early twist to pull out of the bag, especially if you could have it that the Chief kills Covenant forces all the way to the ship, and then arrives at it to find the humans and Covenant working together to defend it from the AI attackers. After a brief explanation from the crew that the war is over and peace was declared they mention reinforcements that should be arriving any moment now, and you realise you've killed them all.
It would really give the player a pause for thought early on in the game, and afterwards exploring an awkward stage of how exactly the Chief should react to explain why the reinforcements aren't coming, since he isn't really 'programmed' for compasion or thought on the battlefield, it would be a really interesting scenario.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
I'm not a Halo or FPS guy, but I watched the E3 stuff and when I saw the end with Cortana going bonkers, I thought something along these lines;

Cool! They could maybe make it so that Cortana makes the Chief see things that weren't there on his radar or something. We could make Halo have a bit of a horror theme in those parts!

Then I realized that won't happen, and I was sad.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
bells said:
i never really liked Halo, but i did enjoy the Halo 3 Launch Trailer, That was a good trailer. It hyped the game... but this?

C'mon now... the game feels outdated. On every level. Every single one...

Here, let me Spoil Halo 4 for you... Cortana will turn bad and the second half of the game you will spend having a emotional struggle as Cortana and the Chief star to turn o each other as Cortana melts aways and the Chief sees himself forced to end her in order to survive, which will end withe a tearful "Thank you and goodbye" Routine by Cortana.

That's the game.

Everything that wans't CG or Live action looked Dated on that Trailer, it has nothing going for it except now Orange is evil, except it turn to blue which is also evil...

A trailer is supposed to hype you for the game... Halo 4 just fell right in line with Brown Shooter Cod and GreyShooter MoH it's Orange Space Shooter Halo 4.

So what's the plot for the next two games going to be hm? Not much of a plot without cortana. And what about the infinity, the forerunners, the covenant and that voice? Also, how the heck is it an orange shooter when literally all of the demo takes place in a bright green jungle? That's not just oversimplification, that's not being able to see that writing on the wall.